ACN Latitudes Forums

frequent urination

bmom

My son has had about 9 nights over the last 2 years where he gets this need to urinate before bed (going back and forth to the toilet). I realize that this is usually associated with PANDAS, but I was wondering if anyone who has a child with tics/ tourettes experiences this too? Is it only in PANDAS children? Do any of your children who are not PANDAS do this? Just curious and does anyone have insight into what this is all about? A bladder tic? Bacteria in the bladder? It usually only lasts one night and is stopped by getting in the bath.

A couple times when I was a kid I would get a similar situation where I'd pee before bed, go to bed, and like 10 minutes later feel like I needed to go pee again, so I'd go, and like a few drops would come out, and then I'd go back to bed, and repeat this over and over.

I told my mom about it one night and she said it happened to her on occasion, too, and to just drink a big glass of water and resist the urge to pee and then your next urination will be normal sized and it will fix the problem. I remember doing that and then REALLY having to pee, but then falling asleep. I was afraid I would wet the bed. lol. But the next morning I woke up, had a normal sized pee, and then I was fine.

I think the pee reflex might just get out of wack sometimes.

There are medical conditions that cause incomplete emptying of the bladder that can result in that sensation, but I don't think that's what he has.

Bumping for some more imput? Please? The baths are not helping anymore and he is now having trouble in the day too. The drinking water seems to make it worse. First, I am curious if anyone who is not PANDAS does this. And second... What to do about it? Anyone?

My dd was doing this as well when she was 4 1/2. Even her preschool teacher noticed she was going to the bathroom a lot. I knew she didn't have a UTI so I was very bewildered at the time. It lasted for a few months, on and off, then eventually went away. Looking back on it, it coincided with her first tic outbreak. At the time, I had no idea what was going on. After researching it, I am finding that it is not uncommon. I think the line is blurry when you are talking PANDAS vs. tourette. For us, there is definitely a genetic predisposition, however I am finding my dd tics more when she is exposed to an illness. I am not sure if this helps you any, just thought you might want to hear about other experiences with this. Give it time and it will probably subside.

My son has had about 9 nights over the last 2 years where he gets this need to urinate before bed (going back and forth to the toilet). I realize that this is usually associated with PANDAS, but I was wondering if anyone who has a child with tics/ tourettes experiences this too? Is it only in PANDAS children? Do any of your children who are not PANDAS do this? Just curious and does anyone have insight into what this is all about? A bladder tic? Bacteria in the bladder? It usually only lasts one night and is stopped by getting in the bath.

My son has tics that come and go.. i say they are more like complusions. He feels the need to do the movements. So not tourettic per say but more ocd and anxiety related, it seems. BUT my son does the same thing with going to urinate when hes just finished brushing etc.. he gets in bed, gets tucked in, and immediately says, I have to go to the bathroom! He hops out of bed and runs to go. It's not a whole heck of a lot and it was worse a few months back. The severity seems to wax and wane. We did suspect PANDAS a few months ago after a bad strep infection and thought that symptom was due to that. I do not feel he has PANDAS at this point. I feel that the root of the behaviors are anxiety based. That's us though. Not sure if this is helpful.