ACN Latitudes Forums

new here

Hi All - I am new here... I have a lot to learn but wanted to ask a kind of urgent question. My then 3-yr old, now 4-yr old DS started with a throat clearing tic in late July 08. He stared it 1 week after finishing amoxicillin for his first strep throat infection ever. He did it for a couple of weeks, then it got a lot better. Haven't thought about it too much over the fall - he has done it occasionally but not very much. In December he started a new tic - repeatedly stroking his hands over his face, and 5 days ago he started an eye rolling tic. He has had a cold the past 10 days or so - really snotty and some cough but no fever. But it just occurred to me this morning that someone in school could have had strep throat and exposed him to it. We have our first appt with a neurologist 2 weeks from today. In the meantime (today) should I call the pediatrician and request a strep test? Am I reading into things?

Thanks,

Maria

Hi All - I am new here... I have a lot to learn but wanted to ask a kind of urgent question. My then 3-yr old, now 4-yr old DS started with a throat clearing tic in late July 08. He stared it 1 week after finishing amoxicillin for his first strep throat infection ever. He did it for a couple of weeks, then it got a lot better. Haven't thought about it too much over the fall - he has done it occasionally but not very much. In December he started a new tic - repeatedly stroking his hands over his face, and 5 days ago he started an eye rolling tic. He has had a cold the past 10 days or so - really snotty and some cough but no fever. But it just occurred to me this morning that someone in school could have had strep throat and exposed him to it. We have our first appt with a neurologist 2 weeks from today. In the meantime (today) should I call the pediatrician and request a strep test? Am I reading into things?

Thanks,

Maria

I'd get him strep tested asap. If his tics are associated with the strep, you want to establish a connection between the strep and outbreaks of tics. Many of our PANDAS kids do not have typical strep symptoms.

Hi Maria,

insist on the 48 culture (or 72 if you can get them to do it) if the rapid is negative. It's okay to do the rapid first. However, if your son hates throat cultures (having the big Q-tip thing stuck in his throat) and you only get to do one (this is how my 5 year old is) then I would just do the 48 hour culture.

They always swab both q-tips at the same time in my daughter-just in case of a neg. on the rapid. I don't think they'd get a second shot at it otherwise. I've never had the culture come back positive when the rapid was neg., but I know it happens. You only need to culture if the rapid comes up neg. I thought it was routine to send a sample for culture in that case, but would make sure they know you want it done.