ACN Latitudes Forums

facial/eye tics~ We need help!

crazy

My son had constant facial and eye tics for two solid months. They went away over school break and are now back with a vengence.

These is what we take for supplements:

Kids Calm

B6

Acely l carnitine

multivitamin

2 homeopathic meds

He has also been taking Topamax since the end of November.

He was taking 30 mg. but have upped it to 45mg. last Wed.

The doctor wants me to add Flax or Fish oil.

I was thinking Taurine. It's seems a lot of people on this site have success. Can he take taurine with the carnitine? I need some ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

hi

have you considered swapping the acetyl L carnitine for regular L carnitine?

taking taurine as well should not be a problem. many take them together

not knowing what is in the homeopathic meds I cant comment on those

many of our kids are reactive to fish oil so you may want to use flax and do a trial on the fishoil maybe only when your child's tics are more stabilized

I dont know if there are any warnings about any of those supplements reacting with topamax, but your doc should know about that

Hi Chemar

What is the difference between acetyl L carnitine and l carnitine? Are they considered tic reducers?

Is taurine a tic reducer?

The homeopathic meds are Cina and gesemium sempervirens which are supposed to help with anxiety/ stress. Once a week he takes Thuja occidentalis as a detox..

My sons pediatrician is an MD but also practices homopathy. A neurologist prescibed the Topamax. They both agree that are supplements are ok together.

hi

have you considered swapping the acetyl L carnitine for regular L carnitine?

taking taurine as well should not be a problem. many take them together

not knowing what is in the homeopathic meds I cant comment on those

many of our kids are reactive to fish oil so you may want to use flax and do a trial on the fishoil maybe only when your child's tics are more stabilized

I dont know if there are any warnings about any of those supplements reacting with topamax, but your doc should know about that

crazy,

Hi, After you started your son on the topamax, did it help the tics to stop? I noticed that you said your son takes a homeopathic detox remedy. I have read that if someone is taking supplements for detox then, since the body is trying to detox, it can increase tics for awhile. Just thought I would suggest that for a possibility to look in too. When you say your son is having eye tics, do you mean eye rolling? Char...

crazy,

Hi, After you started your son on the topamax, did it help the tics to stop? I noticed that you said your son takes a homeopathic detox remedy. I have read that if someone is taking supplements for detox then, since the body is trying to detox, it can increase tics for awhile. Just thought I would suggest that for a possibility to look in too. When you say your son is having eye tics, do you mean eye rolling? Char...

The doctor said the Topamax is not a fast acting medicine. We started at 15 mg. for a couple of weeks then moved to 30 mg. . After 1 month the tics decreased significantly but I think it is due to school break and no stress. We have now upped the dose to 45mg. I now have to wait and see how that works. The doctor says it takes 2-4 weeks to know if it is working.

He takes the homeopathic detox once a week and has done it for 3 weeks. All I know is that it is supposed to slowly detox impurities. Not sure what type?

The eye tics are hard blinks, sometimes winks along with a mouth grimace(his jaw move to the right when he blinks hard).

Hi Chemar

What is the difference between acetyl L carnitine and l carnitine? Are they considered tic reducers?

Is taurine a tic reducer?

Acetyl L carnitine is simply L carnitine that has been acetylated ie acetyl group added. some people feel this is the better form while others disagree. it is a case of trial and error to decide which works best for the individual

carnitine as well as taurine are recognized as being tic reducers for people with TS. The carnitine stopped a screaming tic that had severely disrupted my son's life as well as helping him with eye blink/roll tics

he takes taurine as a separate supp with his magnesium but the combo magnesium taurate is also excellent

crazy,

What is the potency of the homeopathic remedies, 30c, 200c, LM1...? Is your MD classically trained in homeopathy? Remedy should be given one at a time and not 3 at a time. Also, when a remedy is given too high in potency, it can cause aggravation.

Pat

crazy,

What is the potency of the homeopathic remedies, 30c, 200c, LM1...? Is your MD classically trained in homeopathy? Remedy should be given one at a time and not 3 at a time. Also, when a remedy is given too high in potency, it can cause aggravation.

Pat

The potency of the remedies are 30c. Two of them are mainly to help with stress and anxiety which are huge triggers for tics. The Doctor is trained in homeopathy and really believes it can help. I'm still not so sure.

crazy,

Please be cautious with the homeopathic remedy that are being prescribed by your dr., because one of the homeopathic principals is to prescribe one remedy at a time. In homeopathic prescribing, for chronic cases, a constitutional remedy is prescribed for the whole person addressing one's emotional, mental & physical level. Your dr. seems to be prescribing by specific symptoms. People tend to think that the worse case senerio of homeopathic remedy is that it does not work and has no side effects. This is not true, esp when you are redosing at 30C with various remedies at the same time.

I don't want to worry you or cause you any stress. I just want to share with you what i know. Please ask about your md's training. I know there are mds out there who take an one year online course and start prescribing.

Pat