ACN Latitudes Forums

anyone had success with medication?

• 2 weeks later...

Myrose and Mommyof2,

Do either of your children have focus/ADHD issues? I am looking for meds for ADHD that don't bother the tics, which are for the most part controlled at this point. He is failing school and they had two pages of notes on his inability to focus on any task. Thanks...

Hello no my son has no problems with ADHD or focusing. He is in averaging about a 90 in school and has always gotten good reports from his teacher in his behavior in class. Sorry I can't be of more help. I just know topomax has taken about 98% of his tics away. The little he does now is only noticable to me becsause i watch so closely but to others it is no different than little habits most kids do have.

Mary

Myrose and Mommyof2,

Do either of your children have focus/ADHD issues? I am looking for meds for ADHD that don't bother the tics, which are for the most part controlled at this point. He is failing school and they had two pages of notes on his inability to focus on any task. Thanks...

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I started my son on clonidine 7 days ago. He's been ticcing since he was 3 and until now I tried the all natural route. My line in the sand (so to say) was that if his ticcing started affecting his schooling (academically) then I would explore medication. Well, his teacher and I have kept in constant contact throughout the school year and is eye rubbing tic is really affecting his reading and writing. So, after speaking with the neuro I decided to put him on medication. 7 days in his tics are nearly gone and he hasn't experienced any side effects. He only take .05 mg at night, about a 1/2 before bed and he's been fine during the day.

Could you please tell me which medication helped your son with tics. We have tried quite a few and his reaction was so severe that we have up and have not tried any for over two years. He recently had a strep throat infection and he is a PANDAS child. I have been reading all the info on the PANDAS forum. I keep switching from this one to that.

Anything you could share would be a Godsend.

Thank you,

If your son is PANDAS, then controlling the strep is really important. Is he on prophylactic antibiotics? That is step one. The next thing to consider is IVIG if that doesn't control things.

IMO, if you just worry about controlling the PANDAS symptoms (tics or ocd or ADHD or anxiety or anorexia or whatever other symptoms you see) without addressing the underlying cause (strep/autoimmune dz) you will not be able to adequately control your son's tics.

If you post on the PANDAS forum you will get lots of help.