ACN Latitudes Forums

Bactrim

My son had two bouts of trouble breathing this week. Once Sunday and again today. The Dr is still out of town so I called the pharmacist. Apparently it is a hypersensitivity reaction, which it does say on the info, but it did not say that this meant it is a type of allergic reaction, which I didn't realize. So I have to pull him off the Bactrim. Dr doesn't get back until Monday. I sure hope he doesn't get exposed to anything since he won't be on an antibiotic for the next five days. Darla I will still ask the Dr why he chose the Bactrim in the first place and let you know...

Hi greeneyes,

I acutally had an appointment today with my son's pediatrician and we talked about the Bactrim. He didn't really think it was a good option for PANDAS as was going to talk to the neuro as to why she suggested it last week when I visited with her. I am holding off on it as of right now. I am curious as to what your dr. says. hmmm thanks!! :)

My son had two bouts of trouble breathing this week. Once Sunday and again today. The Dr is still out of town so I called the pharmacist. Apparently it is a hypersensitivity reaction, which it does say on the info, but it did not say that this meant it is a type of allergic reaction, which I didn't realize. So I have to pull him off the Bactrim. Dr doesn't get back until Monday. I sure hope he doesn't get exposed to anything since he won't be on an antibiotic for the next five days. Darla I will still ask the Dr why he chose the Bactrim in the first place and let you know...

The other Dr put him on clarithromycin instead of Azithromycin....I wonder if it will help the same as azith, since they are in the same family...

My guess would be that they work similarly. I did a quick check and clarith has been shown to destroy biofilms. I wonder what the difference between them is?

I should mention that there was an article (somewhere) that said Azith. is more immune modulating than Clarith. We think the immune modulation was a big positive factor for our dd. So, all things being equal, I'd pick the Azith. However, if your child has a problem on Azith, I think Clarith. is a good 2nd choice.

There is no reason that they could not have given him the Azith (that I know of). It was not his regular Dr. The regular Dr comes back Monday and I will be giving him a call. I had reduced the steroid pill to 2mg/day starting Tuesday. He started the clarith Thursday night. His ticks were worse, and there was a new vocal one. I know I can't keep him on the steroid much longer, so I was hoping the Clarith would help, but no help the first day. I plan to ask the Dr to go for the azith since that has worked so well for others...