ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS

Darla

Has anyone had results that showed a lack of vitamin D in their children with PANDAS? Just curious. I've been reading about it and how it relates to children with autism. It impairs the PPI (prepulse inhibiton) which interacts with GABA. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the subject. Or has added a vitamin D suppliment and noticed any changes in behavior. I guess it would probably affect more people in the northeast seeing as you don't get as much vitamin D in the winter. I read up on this PPI subject and how some mothers who had influenza (one of two strains) during pregnancy had higher rates of autistic offspring as a result of an immune trigger that increases the levels of MHC Class I molecules with impairs the PPI in children causing issues. Maybe this is in the wrong section but I was just curious. I will post it in the autism section as well.

I did have my child's vitamin D level checked and it came back almost smack dab in the middle of the normal range. What I have been unable to find out is if the range is set for "neccessary to avoid illness" or "optimal health." I haven't supplemented with D (other than what is in her multivit). We live in the desert (Phoenix), but we have a tendancy to hide from the sun in the summertime because its so harsh. 110 degrees is too dang hot no matter how dry it is!

That's interesting. Since we're new with this, the Dr hasn't checked anything yet. Seems like there is a lot we could look at, but I don't want to throw the net too wide yet. I'm not sure how much I've posted about myself, but I've been wondering through all this if I was a PANDAS kid myself. I still get strep all the time. One year had it five times. I was in the hospital at age 4 because I was acting so strange, but my mom can't remember anything in detail. I have a lot of OCD traights, though I don't think I'd have enough for a DSM-IV classification. I do have trichotellomania, which started about the same age my son is now. Even in the summer I have low vitimin D. I love cheese, drink lots of milk, exersice alot, so the dr thinks it's strange it's low. I've been taking a supplement for it, but I don't know how it's helped with my levels....I've been focused on my son and never went back for any of my follow-up blood work...

Hi Darla,

Here's a thread from a couple of mo. ago that you may find interesting http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=vitamin+d If you read the Somali article there is an interesting comment about tylenol as well....makes me wonder how much "vaccine triggered autism" is (at least partly) due to tylenol which parents often give their kids after vaccines. I don't think that's ever been tracked?

Our PANDAS dd did have a vit d level checked when she was in the hosp. 3/08 (PANDAS anorexia nervosa/malnutrition/acute food refusal/OCD etc.). It was 34 ng/ml, which I believe is normal (no ref. range given)? We live in Northern CA. Of course with autism, it may not be the *current* vit d level that's the issue but the levels when mom is pregnant (or in the infant.) We've lived here since before I was pregnant so I don't think I was deficient when pregnant.

I do believe vit D def. is a real problem, esp. for people in Northern/colder states and for people with darker skin (more melanin).

Thanks, that is very interesting. I just read it. I'm heading out to buy some Vitamin D! I live in massachusetts. One part that stood out to me is the fact that Vitamin D decreases the production of the inflammartory cytokines in the brain. And stimulates neurotrophin releases which induces the survival of nerve cells. Also increases concentrations of gluatathione- the brains master antioxident.

Hi Darla,

Here's a thread from a couple of mo. ago that you may find interesting http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=vitamin+d If you read the Somali article there is an interesting comment about tylenol as well....makes me wonder how much "vaccine triggered autism" is (at least partly) due to tylenol which parents often give their kids after vaccines. I don't think that's ever been tracked?

Our PANDAS dd did have a vit d level checked when she was in the hosp. 3/08 (PANDAS anorexia nervosa/malnutrition/acute food refusal/OCD etc.). It was 34 ng/ml, which I believe is normal (no ref. range given)? We live in Northern CA. Of course with autism, it may not be the *current* vit d level that's the issue but the levels when mom is pregnant (or in the infant.) We've lived here since before I was pregnant so I don't think I was deficient when pregnant.

I do believe vit D def. is a real problem, esp. for people in Northern/colder states and for people with darker skin (more melanin).

Interesting. My son, who had already been on Vitamin D supplement, tested in the extremely low range for it in the Fall during our worst PANDAS time. The doc had me increase it to 10,000 IUs for two weeks and then go back to 5000 per day. His PANDAS symptoms have improved dramatically over the last 8 weeks. I was giving all the credit to the biofilm protocol we are doing along with Ceftin, but perhaps the increase in Vitamin D helped as well.

It appears I have my own autoimmune issue, quite possibly involving strep and vit D. New Years day I spent 6 hours in emergency with the most hideous full body rash that you could ever imagine. It seems I had an infection triggered (most likely strep) case of psoriasis or eczema. The biopsy came back excema, but I think the specimen was taken from a place where too much healing had taken place or something. From everything that I have read, this is Psoriasis! Anyway, I'm on my 2nd round of Keflex 500 mgs 4 x a day. Was on Prednasone 20 mgs 2x's a day for 10 days. I'm about 80% clear, but what a $%*^* this has been!

I find this just a bit too coincidental for comfort, in light of the boys history of strep and tics. Been finding some very interesting info on one of the psoriasis forums. Also, prior to this outbreak I had been taking about 1200 mgs of vit D3. Vit D is a big player in the treatment of psoriasis. At this point, I'm not sure if it contributed to this outbreak, or helped in the way that it seems to be clearing more quickly than what some people experience. If anyone has a family history of psoriasis or excema and wants more info or details, as always, happy to share!

This study has lots of interesting tid bits

http://iai.asm.org/cgi/content/full/76/9/3837

While there is no strict definition, vitamin D deficiency is widely defined as circulating 25D levels of less than 20 ng/ml (50 nM) (11, 39, 40, 53, 87), whereas an individual is generally considered to be vitamin D sufficient if the circulating 25D concentration is greater than 30 to 32 ng/ml (75 to 80 nM) (19, 37, 87). 25D levels are inversely associated with circulating PTH levels until the 25D concentration is greater than 30 to 40 ng/ml, at which point PTH levels bottom out. While vitamin D intoxication can occur, it is not observed until 25D levels reach 150 ng/ml (375 nM) or more (40), and it is associated with hypercalcemia, which, if chronic, can result in urinary calculi (renal or bladder stones) and renal failure.