ACN Latitudes Forums

videotaping symptoms

Amy-it is something that is done in OT. You get a small surgical brush and it's called the Wilberger method (I think I spelled that right?)....it should be done every 2 hours for about six weeks along with compressions of the joints right after the brushing. I would pursue the OT through the IEP because it is really difficult to get schools to recognize sensory issues! When my kids were in Early intervention neither one "qualified" but then when I pursued OT with private insurance they were given therapy.

I have videotaped my son during early myclonic jerks at the request of the Dr.

Also Dr. Don Gilbert asked me to do this recently. He was interested in the early movements during the first episodes.

As far as the sensory issues both of my children are having issues with this. We go to OT weekly where they work on this. I also do the brushing and it helps calm and relax them.

http://www.pbbkids.com/the_wilbarger_brushing_protocol.htm

My youngest is having speech delays and the OT for sensory seems to really help with the speech. They bounce and crash her and swing and let her move heavy things.

My PANDAS son has smell, taste , touch , sound issues and the swinging and jumping seems to make a difference. I just wonder what the connection to the sensory issues is with the neuro issues?

My twenty-three month old is getting a MRI Fri. and I am nervous about sedation. Have any of you experienced this. I guess they are looking for migrational defects, lesions, that could cause speech delays, motor delays or sensory processing issues? Nobody has ever written for one with my six year old with all his neuro issues.

Michele

My dd would also take her clothes off a lot and also wouldn't wear turtlenecks or let me brush her hair. It was sensory and helped a lot by the body brushing regime. When her PANDAS episodes are flaring, the sensory stuff bothers her a lot more again and I recently tried the body brushing again during one episode. I think that yeast issues can make the sensory stuff more accute to her, as well. However, the supplements that I mentioned in the other thread have helped with everything all the way around, including sensory.

Indigo--

Do you mind...I've never heard of a body brushing regime. What is it? I did try to google it and sounds like a dry body buffing type thing to get rid of dead skin cells? How do you do it and when?

When my dd gets really (pandas) sick I often would give her regular massages with lotion to help her relax. There has been several in my dd's world who have brought up sensory issues and the school even put in her iep to have an OT eval for sensory issues. But it hasn't been done and so I don't have any direction as far as that goes. What's been your child's experience with it? Thanks!

regards,

amy s

Wow, I thought it was just us who experienced the rage-stripping. DD did it a couple times in class and they were having to practically drag her out so she wouldn't "flash" the rest of the students. She doesn't do it often, but it has happened.

We are driving to Charlottesville, VA on Thursday to meet with a Developmental Pediatrician. I'm hoping that's not just another false start. The false starts are what really wears me out... and my car... and my gas card. ;)