ACN Latitudes Forums

Inositol

Daniel Amen's book has some favorable comments re. Inositol.

A summary:

-natural biochemical found in human brain

-some scientists think it is a member of the B vit. class

-reported to help neurons use serotonin more effeciently

-well designed study shows reduces symptoms of OCD

-studies also show it helps depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder

-not effective for schizophrenia, ADD, or Alzheimer's

-seems to act like a mild prozac but with fewer side effects

-worth trying if you are a worrier, have trouble letting go of neg. thoughts, tend to be rigid, inflexible, or hold grudges

-dose is up to 18g a day

I hope this helps!

Daniel Amen's book has some favorable comments re. Inositol.

A summary:

-natural biochemical found in human brain

-some scientists think it is a member of the B vit. class

-reported to help neurons use serotonin more effeciently

-well designed study shows reduces symptoms of OCD

-studies also show it helps depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder

-not effective for schizophrenia, ADD, or Alzheimer's

-seems to act like a mild prozac but with fewer side effects

-worth trying if you are a worrier, have trouble letting go of neg. thoughts, tend to be rigid, inflexible, or hold grudges

-dose is up to 18g a day

I hope this helps!

I've read some things were you should take choline along with inositol - what do you know about that? and are there any products out there that contain both, so you don't have to buy 2 separate supplements?

Inositol has been life changing for my son

where he had used 5HTP when younger to help with his OCD/anxiety etc, it later made him "edgy"

The Inositol has totally calmed his symptoms!!

He takes it with the P-5-P form of vit B6 along with methylB12. he feels they work well in combination

I have not heard of it needing choline, but he does get that in his daily multi shake, along with methionine, which

also is helpful for OCD/mood issues

info on Inositol

Hello

A number of posters have mentioned their children having "floaters". If you do a search for inositol, choline and floaters you'll get quite a bit on using these to treat them. I only know this 'cos when I mentioned inositol to our ped. dr. she gave me a handout on it's uses. I get bad floaters, especially after my last c-section (the change in fluid levels due to the IV allows more to dislodge) and will give it a try once no longer breastfeeding.

It just seemed as tho' quite a few parents were mentioning these in their posts and I wondered if it were any higher amongst PANDAS kids than in the normal population and thought it odd that inositol is indicated for OCD and these floaters.

Hello

A number of posters have mentioned their children having "floaters". If you do a search for inositol, choline and floaters you'll get quite a bit on using these to treat them. I only know this 'cos when I mentioned inositol to our ped. dr. she gave me a handout on it's uses. I get bad floaters, especially after my last c-section (the change in fluid levels due to the IV allows more to dislodge) and will give it a try once no longer breastfeeding.

It just seemed as tho' quite a few parents were mentioning these in their posts and I wondered if it were any higher amongst PANDAS kids than in the normal population and thought it odd that inositol is indicated for OCD and these floaters.

Floaters? I'm thinking of a few things you could mean...

When I think of floaters I think of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

although, I'm not sure if that's what all posters have meant. Certainly, some of the descriptions have seemed more like migrainey like disturbances?

Okay, I thought you meant visual, but with so many of our kiddos having yeast problems, could have been BM's.

where he had used 5HTP when younger to help with his OCD/anxiety etc, it later made him "edgy"

He takes it with the P-5-P form of vit B6 along with methylB12. he feels they work well in combination

I have not heard of it needing choline, but he does get that in his daily multi shake, along with methionine, which

info on Inositol

what do you mean by the "P-5-P" form of vit b6? and what dose is he on? Is it done by mg/kg bodyweight?

Could you tell me what kind of multi daily shake it is? And do you add the mthionine to it? I think my son would go for that.

thanks, darla

info on Inositol

what do you mean by the "P-5-P" form of vit b6? and what dose is he on? Is it done by mg/kg bodyweight?

info on Inositol

Hi

I answered the P-5-P where you had asked about it on OCD forum too

it is the Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate coenzyme form of B6 that has best absorption. B6 is used by the body after the liver converts it to P-5-P so giving it this way eliminates the need for that extra step

My son uses the one by NOW that has co factors B2(riboflavin) as well as some mag taurinate in it