ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone had success with fish oil?

Hi again.

Been reading alot here... since my son's tics flared up abit I've been looking for something else to help.

I know there is a bit of debate about fish oil. I went to talk to a naturapath 2 days ago and she said the magnesium I'm using is good, and that I shoul also try EFALEX. It has :

Natural Fish oil {high DHA}........365.7mg

Rigel evening primrose oil..........142.2mg

dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate......... 7.5mg

thyme oil................................... 1.3mg

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these things, as I don't really.

He's using Tissue Salts magnesium.

I've read here that the Primrose oil is a good idea. Not everyone has a bad reaction to fish oil, do they? I'm really hoping this will help.

If the fish oil was to be a problem, would it show soon?

Thanks,

Lyn.

lynnie1264,

Hi, My son was on fish oils for awhile but I found that the fish oils increased my sons tics. Once I stopped the fish oils my sons tics went back to how they were before I started the fish oil. I know that fish oil helps some children ,so you may just have to try it with your son and see what happens. I hope it does help your son and not make the tics worse, like it did with my son. I found vitamin B6 to help a little with my sons tics. Have you tried vitamin B6 before with your son?

Thanks Char :D

I haven't tried vit B6 yet. I set out to try things but when I get to the shop I find there are so many variations and I'm not sure which one I should be using.

Same goes for the magnesium, there's so many types mentioned here, esp Taurine... but when I asked about it here is Australia, it seems it's very hard to get it on it's own. The only thing I could get it in also has artificial sweeteners, so there went that idea.

I might ask about it again today. As I mentioned I'm currently giving my son mag in tissue salt form, which the naturopath said would be good... but I read on the net last night that Tissue salts would not be enough for someone with TS.

There is so much conflicting stuff around. I admire any of you who have found what it is you need.

I want to give this Efalex a go, as it has the Primrose oil too... I was just trying to way up the fish oil thing. It seems it's helped many people, and not others. Hopefully it'll be good for my boy.

Thankyou very much for your help, and I might check out the Vit B6 today too. {i wonder how many types of that there is lol :) }

Lyn.

Lyn,

I have tried fish oil twice and both times gave my son new tics and more tics. The tics did lessen over time but it never went away completely. We did treat fish oil via NAET afterward and it did take away certain tics but not all, and lessen the frequency & intensity of the tics.

Pat

Just thought I would add something from our experience with fish oil. Not all fish oil products are equal. We originally used Coreomega Fish Oil supps and our son's tics increased. Later when I learned that he has a corn allergy it made total sense to me as corn byproduct is in the formula in that brand. We now use Nordic Naturals with GREAT success. Thought I would post in case it is the brand in your situation or possibly 'other' ingredients and not the fish oil itself. Omegas are very important for brain function.

Just thought I would add something from our experience with fish oil. Not all fish oil products are equal. We originally used Coreomega Fish Oil supps and our son's tics increased. Later when I learned that he has a corn allergy it made total sense to me as corn byproduct is in the formula in that brand. We now use Nordic Naturals with GREAT success. Thought I would post in case it is the brand in your situation or possibly 'other' ingredients and not the fish oil itself. Omegas are very important for brain function.

:)

I want so badly to use fish oil for my son too, as I know it is so helpful for the brain and I'd love to see the benefits in that respect, but I am one that tried it too and felt maybe the tics increased. I recently tried flax oil just for a couple days a short while back and we also had a spike. I was also trying out tryptophan at that time too, so I'm not sure what exactly was the cause, for all I know it could have been coincidence, or an initial reaction that may have subsided, but I am with Patty, not taking any chances right now.

That said, we have always been sort of in the dark here as to why fish oil seems to have that effect. I am wondering if omega 3's increase dopamine? If so, maybe that is the reason? Maybe it works so well in that respect, that those with tics are just out of luck on this one? I did try researching my theory once, but I'm sketchy on what I came up with. But we do know that fish oil is helpful to those with ADD or ADHD, I think? So the dopamine thing makes sense there. If anyone has any thoughts or knows, feel free to share. :D

Faith

We tried the carlson and my son went nuts on that, within a 30 min time frame. I'm sure it is the soy in the vit. E that is added. When we tried the salmon oil, he did not have that same reaction. I do not see any help in the tics with the salmon oil, and if it is helping with school work I could not say. He is a frosh. so work is harder, but he is still holding his own with A's and B's.

CP

:lol:

That said, we have always been sort of in the dark here as to why fish oil seems to have that effect. I am wondering if omega 3's increase dopamine? If so, maybe that is the reason? Maybe it works so well in that respect, that those with tics are just out of luck on this one? So the dopamine thing makes sense there. If anyone has any thoughts or knows, feel free to share. :)

Faith

I would disagree with that because then we would see the same with all forms of Omega3 which is not the case. Most of those who react negatively to fishoil form of omega 3 can take flaxseed oil form without any problems, my son included. he takes a lot of flaxseed oil in (supp, salad dressing and we grind them fresh for use on cereals salads etc) and we only see benefit re his ADD, inflammation and OCD, and no increase in ticson it.

However if he has any form of fishoil, his tics spike almost immediately. yet he can eat fish without problems

Okay, that makes sense re the Omega 3's, but could it be that the "EPA" and/or "DHA" TYPE of omegas have the effect of increasing dopamine? or that the EPA and DHA are too "up there" in the chain, if you get what I mean. I know that flaxseed oil and the other oils like borage, have ALA and GLA, and so then they are converted to the EPA/DHA, something like that. The fish oils are considered the best for inflammation because, as I said, they are higher up on the chain, and do not have to go thru the conversion, and so in a sense, are more potent. I think we've also discussed somewhere around here that those with tics might do better with fish oils who have a ratio of higher "EPA" than DHA. This led me to think that DHA is usually for the attention (ADD/ADHD) and the EPA more helpful for the tics, since the lower DHA content might help to not cause an aggravation of tics.

I know it is all so confusing, but maybe for those that have felt fish oil increased tics, could you check and post the EPA/DHA content and let's see if this rings true? In other words, if you've seen increase in tics, let's see if the brand used does have higher DHA? I don't have any in my fridge right now, except for the Coromega which must be waaay past its prime about now. It says EPA-350 and DHA-250. Personally, I'm not liking that ration even tho it is higher in EPA, I think its supposed to be a bigger difference, like maybe almost 2:1? I'm pretty sure I have also used Nordic Naturals (something Jr.?), I can't recall what exact name is, I know they have a couple different formulas, but it was lemon flavored chewable perils.

Please don't take any of this as fact, I'm just theorizing (is that a word?) and would like to see if there's anything to it.

Faith