ACN Latitudes Forums

5-HTP and Kavinace

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for input / opinions on some supplements. I have had my youngest son on 50mg of 5-HTP for a few months for anxiety and sleep issues. It has really seemed to help. However, he has been complaining of frequent headaches and I read in an article last week that some people will have headaches as a side effect of 5-HTP. It is really hard for me to remember exactly when the headaches began, but it seems as though it was around the same time as starting it (although I could be off). I have had his eyes checked, taken him in for physical, and no one can find any real reason. He gets them about 2-3 times per week. More than a nine year old should. I usually give him some children's motrin and it goes right away. The 5-HTP has made an incredible difference in his mood / anxiety, but I hate to think it would be causing these headaches. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Also, I had been looking into Kavinace for my oldest son (PANDAS), for his tics that have suddenly came back. I looked it up on the neurorelief web page but couldn't find any pricing or how to order. Has anyone had success with this for tics or is it used mostly for anxiety type issues? I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Dedee

Dedee,

I had success with the Kavanice for my 9 year old son's tics. However, about 2 weeks ago we were with a family who has a son that is a strep carrier, and the tics came roaring back. Back in November he was also around someone with a viral infection and his tics came back, but only for a few days. I kept him on the kavanice and that seemed to help get them under control. But the strep, not so easy. I got the kavanice from a DAN doctor. If you email Neuroscience, they will email you a list of providers in your area.

email: marie.loughlin@neurorelief.com

Linda

Linda,

Thanks for your reply. So is it by prescription or by certain vendors? I am going to have to do something soon. He has added another tic last night, where he whispers something in a sort of rhythmatic tone. I am calling the ped today for guidance. Thanks again.

Dedee

Linda,

Thanks for your reply. So is it by prescription or by certain vendors? I am going to have to do something soon. He has added another tic last night, where he whispers something in a sort of rhythmatic tone. I am calling the ped today for guidance. Thanks again.

Dedee

Dedee,

I am still considering kavinace, although I'm going to try to use some natural immune modulators first (which take a little longer to see results - but might be a little more effective in the long run) - if I get impatient I'll probably start the kavinace which is supposed to re-balance the neurotransmitter levels and in that way, help with anxiety and OCD symptoms, including tics. My DAN has left it up to me to decide when I want to do that, but does agree that it could be helpful and usually within a few days. I did try to buy it myself online, but it's only sold through neuroscience and they will not sell it directly to patients (or parents) - it has to be purchased through a health care provider. I'm going to post with a little more info, in general, this afternoon after talking to my DAN again at 2:45. Thanks for your reply to my earlier post. Pat