ACN Latitudes Forums

Pilates to hep restore Basil Ganglia

Okay, since the damage to the basil ganglia seems perminant. I started researching to see if there was anything that could help weather it was supplements acupuncture or whatever. I found a small website on Rehabilitative exercise. I bet it would be difficult to get my eight year old son to do it, but im willing to try. Im curious if anyone else has come across anything to help the basil ganglia????? Heres an excerpt:

Many brain researchers are currently examining the link between movement and learning. “Exercise, besides shaping up bones, muscles, heart and lungs also strengthens the basal ganglia, cerebellum and corpus collosum of the brain. Aerobic exercise increases the supply of blood to the brain” (Hannaford, 1995, p. 112). Inner healing potential can be tapped by directing our breathing in core stabilizing exercise and even utilizing the imagination in order to deepen the exercise. When doctors can’t supply results, we must come to have confidence in tapping into our own healing potential. This inner reliance is what is needed in the field of rehabilitation. As mentioned earlier, the simple processes of movement and exercise may often produce the most profound results (Hannaford, 1995, p. 112).

Pilates Rehabilitative Exercise

The Pilates Method of exercise can be used to advance the process of rehabilitation. Many don’t realize it, but Joseph Pilates grew up a sickly child suffering from rickets, asthma and rheumatic fever. He began to study anatomy and various forms of exercise to combat his sicknesses and improve his health and physique. As a nurse in World War I. he used his exercise to help wounded soldiers rehabilitate post-injury. Today, depending on the teacher’s mode of practice, the exercise can be used to restore vitality and develop strength and agility of mind and body.

The aim of Pilates is to achieve a state of balance in the mind and the body. Many athletes know how to achieve cardiac exhilaration - just go out on the track, run a mile and let off some steam, but how many know how to use exercise to bring a balance and state of rest to the neuromuscular system. Pilates emphasizes breathing, lengthening the spine, freeing up the joints, alignment and strengthening the core. The theory that the Pilates Method of exercise is based on acknowledges that a person that combines the activities of stretching and strengthening in an appropriate manner, develops an internal balance that leads toward a state of equilibrium.

In Pilates mat classes, students learn to practice the exercises at home to facilitate rehabilitation, to serve in a preventative capacity and to burn off the stress of strainful times. The students’ incentive for learning is that they usually feel better after practicing the exercises than when they began

Heidi Lerner’s style of teaching can be compared to the Montessori Method. In approaching gains of new knowledge Dr. Maria Montessori would begin with what the child is capable of doing. She would gradually introduce things the child couldn’t do on a very simple level. At this point, the teacher follows the student’s lead in order to facilitate the learning process (Lerner, 1997). It is in this method of approach that Ms. Lerner teaches Pilates. She starts where clients are at and teaches in the A B C method; in taking baby steps, Heidi believes that almost everyone can benefit from Pilates. Her technique is aptly called “Gentle Pilates”; with this approach, Ms. Lerner is confident in working with senior citizens and people with disabilities.

My son has been enjoying the Yoga activities on the Wii Fit. Also the deep breathing/ from his tummy to relax. I think it is called biofeedback exercises. The stretching and relaxation calms him. Also I imagine they are good for his coordination and strength.

Michele

Okay, since the damage to the basil ganglia seems perminant. I started researching to see if there was anything that could help weather it was supplements acupuncture or whatever. I found a small website on Rehabilitative exercise. I bet it would be difficult to get my eight year old son to do it, but im willing to try. Im curious if anyone else has come across anything to help the basil ganglia????? Heres an excerpt:

Many brain researchers are currently examining the link between movement and learning. “Exercise, besides shaping up bones, muscles, heart and lungs also strengthens the basal ganglia, cerebellum and corpus collosum of the brain. Aerobic exercise increases the supply of blood to the brain” (Hannaford, 1995, p. 112). Inner healing potential can be tapped by directing our breathing in core stabilizing exercise and even utilizing the imagination in order to deepen the exercise. When doctors can’t supply results, we must come to have confidence in tapping into our own healing potential. This inner reliance is what is needed in the field of rehabilitation. As mentioned earlier, the simple processes of movement and exercise may often produce the most profound results (Hannaford, 1995, p. 112).

Pilates Rehabilitative Exercise

The Pilates Method of exercise can be used to advance the process of rehabilitation. Many don’t realize it, but Joseph Pilates grew up a sickly child suffering from rickets, asthma and rheumatic fever. He began to study anatomy and various forms of exercise to combat his sicknesses and improve his health and physique. As a nurse in World War I. he used his exercise to help wounded soldiers rehabilitate post-injury. Today, depending on the teacher’s mode of practice, the exercise can be used to restore vitality and develop strength and agility of mind and body.

The aim of Pilates is to achieve a state of balance in the mind and the body. Many athletes know how to achieve cardiac exhilaration - just go out on the track, run a mile and let off some steam, but how many know how to use exercise to bring a balance and state of rest to the neuromuscular system. Pilates emphasizes breathing, lengthening the spine, freeing up the joints, alignment and strengthening the core. The theory that the Pilates Method of exercise is based on acknowledges that a person that combines the activities of stretching and strengthening in an appropriate manner, develops an internal balance that leads toward a state of equilibrium.

In Pilates mat classes, students learn to practice the exercises at home to facilitate rehabilitation, to serve in a preventative capacity and to burn off the stress of strainful times. The students’ incentive for learning is that they usually feel better after practicing the exercises than when they began

Heidi Lerner’s style of teaching can be compared to the Montessori Method. In approaching gains of new knowledge Dr. Maria Montessori would begin with what the child is capable of doing. She would gradually introduce things the child couldn’t do on a very simple level. At this point, the teacher follows the student’s lead in order to facilitate the learning process (Lerner, 1997). It is in this method of approach that Ms. Lerner teaches Pilates. She starts where clients are at and teaches in the A B C method; in taking baby steps, Heidi believes that almost everyone can benefit from Pilates. Her technique is aptly called “Gentle Pilates”; with this approach, Ms. Lerner is confident in working with senior citizens and people with disabilities.