ACN Latitudes Forums

Comorbid issues

faith

Faith,

I wanted to let you know that there is a brand called Nature's Remedy....I have not tried it....but they had several products out there that were very interesting.

I have written in lately about the inattention with my son. It is driving me CRAZY!!!! The HW routine you wrote about is identical in my household. It is a good 35 minutes for him to settle in and start HW....and then the minute he starts it is "I don't get it"...I say try harder and he says "I did".....when we go round and round I get the SAME "OKAYYYY"....only I have spent my day with struggling 14-17 year old math students and my patience is GONE....I have not found an answer to his inattention, as I am dragging my feet b/c they found a vision problem that I want to ID first....and I have yet another teacher meeting tomorrow to get him tested for learning disabilities.

Sometimes I just walk away from the HW routine and tell him that the sooner he gets done, the faster he gets to be outside playing. I can't read his writing and he refuses to erase because he can read it...so this method sometimes comes back to bite me! It might help on your end of erasing issues....I have no experience with OCD....

Does your child struggle in a particular subject? I was wondering about ESE vs. 504....I think you get a LOT more support with ESE.

Just my 2 cents and I know a lot of moms do this differently, but I have always thought that after being in school all day kids need a break from the routine and need to get outside and burn off some energy- just have some free time to play. If I ever have to make my son do homework right after school(rarely) its very difficult. But if he's had an hour or 2 to play he's usually settled down and ready to sit down and focus on his homework. Which by the way I don't think should be much at his age- 8, he usually gets about 20 minutes. I'm a preschool teacher so I know what you mean about having patience when you get home after being with other kids all day. But just like I feel like I need a break for a while when I get home I think so do the kids. They need some time to relax. So maybe letting him play first and then homework might help?

hi guys,

well even tho I seem to have identified one of the major problems with the ocd and erasing thing, things are sometimes a little better, in that the struggle with the writing seems to go a little smoother now that it is out in the open and he is doing all his writing with a pen. he will still correct and go over the letters, but you can't erase pen and somehow this seems to calm his obsession a little. He still gives me problems with proctrastinating and some irritibility and he is not easy to reason with. so there is still work to be done here. I have found a clinician who is deals with children through art therapy and I have met with her first so we could talk about his issues without him being present. He is not very open to going to this type of thing, but I am easing him into it, and we will tell him he is going for art lessons at first. I know he does want some help with these things , and I've told him I have "a friend" who talks to children and helps them with their irritations and how to handle them. He said he'll "think about it". ^_^ .

Tracey he doesn't really struggle with any subjects, he does well enough, its mainly the amount of time he takes to do everything, and this has mostly to do with delaying and doing this according to his own routine, if you will. He went thru the testing last year, and it was not determined that he had any learning disability. They've actually been quite accomodating so far, between his tics and now seeing how much this particular obsession was hindering him. I guess they are content that he does well in school and is not a behavioral problem and teachers like him and he gets along well with classmates.

Tomsmom, that is a good tip, I agree and do that ALOT. I've let alot of playing with friends and let him do homework after, but with him getting older and a little more work, I can't allow a playtime everyday, and I will let him eat and have a few minutes of tv before sitting down, but I've found it just doesn't matter with him, he still drives me nuts.

I think I am discovering that I have probably attended too much to my son's every need since he was a baby, and so he just knows how far he can get with me. :)

Faith