ACN Latitudes Forums

Long Term supplement use and stomach problems

Tracey111

Those weak of stomach, sorry. My son has had loose BM for a week now. He is going 5 to 7 times a day, and it is starting to bother him.

I took him to the DR last Tuesday to find out if the amount of supplements seem OK for his little system. (DR is still researching it!) On Wednesday night he got up and went to the RR four times. It has been constant since then. Today is Wednesday again and he has not had his supplements since Friday.....except for some flax oil, acetyl L carnitine, and NAC today....he is OFF the wall and totally unable to focus without the supplements, so I added those few back this AM.

The doctor said (two days ago) that it is probably the magnesium, but he has been on these supplements since at least January. How do I know if it is a bacteria, or if it is too much supplement intake? I am going to call the DR again tomorrow, but thought maybe you guys have some educated info for me! Thanks!

Well, stress does this to my ds and I really can't blame the supplements. I do know that too much magnesium can give you loose bowels so you might want to cut out the mag. Also, a stomach bug may be causing this. I had a bug a few months ago that lasted 2 weeks. I'd be more concerned if it lasts for more than 2 weeks and if it's causing him to become dehydrated, etc. Can the doc run some BM tests to see if it's bacterial or a parasite? I'd start with firming up his diet , the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I would keep his diet bland b/c his GI system is obviously disrupted and I'd check the bowels myself to make sure there are no worms, etc. I know this all sounds gross but I'm sure we all know someone who had stuff like this and it went undiagnosed by the docs. Also, Vitamin C can make you runny if you take too much so you might want to cut back on that, too, for now. Sorry if I couldn't be of much help.

Bonnie