ACN Latitudes Forums

Food Reactions

Indigo

My doctor changed dd's Azith to Amox this past weekend. She had an excellent three days on it until Monday when she fell apart--huge meltdowns, raging, it was awful! At the end of the day she admitted that she snuck a piece of candy out of our room, which had corn syrup in it. Now it's Thursday and she is not raging so much, but crying and acting like a two year old, using a "baby" voice and just melting down at the slightest thing. Her sensory issues are out of this world right now and she's more "autistic" than I have seen her in a long time. I can't figure out if this is residual effects of the corn syrup or if it is the Amox. Because at first the Amox seemed to be doing excellent--she even had two days where she slept past dawn!

Any ideas for me? :)

Okay, I'm not a believer in Amoxicillin for bad PANDAS cases. It didn't work for us. Do you think she could be worse b/c of the Amoxcillin (not doing much for PANDAS) vs. the corn syrup?

You could try a dose of Advil?

I would vote for going back to Azithromycin but I don't know how bad it was for your dd.

Her "good" 1st 3 days on Amoxcillin could be b/c she still had enough Azith. in her bloodstream to control the PANDAS. Azith. has a long half life.

I talked to my doctor today and he thought that we should go back on the prednisone to get her through the holidays. That's a huge relief for me because she responds so well to it, but I'm a little concerned because prednisone isn't supposed to be a treatment for PANDAS. Any thoughts?

I talked to my doctor today and he thought that we should go back on the prednisone to get her through the holidays. That's a huge relief for me because she responds so well to it, but I'm a little concerned because prednisone isn't supposed to be a treatment for PANDAS. Any thoughts?

Well, its true that prednisone will help with inflammation, but its always temporary and you'd have to give a boat load of prednisone over a period of time to keep everything settled down which can be harmful. Prednisone is not a good long-term option. However, if its just over the holidays and it seems to work for her - then maybe its what you both need. As far as the antibiotics go, I guess every child must be really different because Gaby was doing so-so on the augmentin and when we changed her to zith she became very agitated - with occasional angry outbursts (something we haven't seen in a long time). We're now going back to the augmentin. Pat