ACN Latitudes Forums

Help I need your support ! Please read and respond!

abbe

Abbe,

I forgot to mentioned that acunpuncture really helped with the tics and neck pain. However, my son feared the needles and we had to stop after about 7 sessions.

As you are familiar with holistic medicine, when one is repressed with anger it can build up wind and wind can cause twitches, along with heat from anger or emotional issues. For that i find acunpuncture very effect in clearing that stagnant energy. My son was very frustrated and angry when he was younger. As we have used different energetic modalities, along with a behavior therapy program i designed for him, his emotional state has changed drastically.

Also, you may want to consider cut back on food that can cause heat to build up, like fried food, rich & greasy food, red meat...

Pat

Pat,

Also I never serve fried or greasy foods or junk foods because I was always into nutrition . Oddly enough though Nicholas LOVES red meat. I barely serve it but it is his favorite.

p.s. for the person who said why creatine I use that once per day cuz one of you said it might help with the vocal (throat clearing tick)

abbe

Abbe

I have not heard of creatine for vocal tics

I do know that L-CARNITINE helps with vocals for many tho

p.s. for the person who said why creatine I use that once per day cuz one of you said it might help with the vocal (throat clearing tick)

abbe

Abbe

I have not heard of creatine for vocal tics

I do know that L-CARNITINE helps with vocals for many tho

Cheri,

Your right I am using carnitine I posted the wrong thing I apologize....all these supplements I am getting brian confused myself

abbe

Pat,

Can you please share with me some of the behavioral techniques that worked for your son? I wanted to say also that yesterday we became foster parents to a new puppy. We only are keeping him a day or two because we have two dogs. The important part I wanted to share is during the whole day of getting him and bringing him home Nick was as close to tick free that I have seen him. I couldn't tell if it was the puppy or the nutritional etc. At 545 pm w =e took him to play basketball. It was his first time. He was doing the head and eye tick like crazy..... I still feel better because I have moments when they are gone. I know if I do I can make those moments longer and longer. I can't wait for the results of his blood and urine.

For those of you who have managed to get your kids tic free how long did it take to "figure" it out???????

thankyou.............

abbe

Abbe, Was the basketball court an indoor one with bright lights? Bright lights have always been a trigger for my son and basketball courts seem to be a trigger for him. Some of them have flourescent lights. If this is the case, watch to see if maybe he has photosensitivity that effect his tics-places like stores, basketball courts, even bright sunlight, video games, tv, etc. can cause an increase in my son.

[quote name='abbe' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:51 AM' post=

abbe

I think my son does have a light issue. He HATES to get his picture taken. he says the light hurts his eyes. This was even before the ticks. Video games and tv seem to bring them out but I only allow video games for 2 weekends per month and I don't do alot of tv. It has been hard to change everything in the house he has to older brother 13 and 16. thx for your suggestions Does your child have problems at school with the lighting?

Abbe

Abbe, I don't check in on this board as much as I used to but I wanted to answer the last question you had. Honestly for us it took about three years to get to where we are. My son started with a pretty severe neck twitch as well. We took him to doctors but they just said that tics are normal for kids. Well they may be but for my son they were severe and actually made his neck sore from the amount of ticcing he was doing. Eliminating Corn really helped, it was hard but so worth the effort. In our case we ate a lot of junk food and I did not appreciate the fact that junk food was just that. We have recently became a bit more relaxed on what we give him but I do make sure he gets kids calm every night. His tics are still mild to this day. I think that everyone will have a different story as to how long it took. Some people have figured out some of the puzzle but not all of it. There are just so many variables.

Abbe, I don't check in on this board as much as I used to but I wanted to answer the last question you had. Honestly for us it took about three years to get to where we are. My son started with a pretty severe neck twitch as well. We took him to doctors but they just said that tics are normal for kids. Well they may be but for my son they were severe and actually made his neck sore from the amount of ticcing he was doing. Eliminating Corn really helped, it was hard but so worth the effort. In our case we ate a lot of junk food and I did not appreciate the fact that junk food was just that. We have recently became a bit more relaxed on what we give him but I do make sure he gets kids calm every night. His tics are still mild to this day. I think that everyone will have a different story as to how long it took. Some people have figured out some of the puzzle but not all of it. There are just so many variables.

Pamela Kay,

thanks for your response. I am getting the allergy testing next week which may be helpful because I still give Nicky corn and took away dairy and wheat. I know he is frustrated with all the changes and unless I find he has an extreme sensitivity or I notic ticcing after certain foods I will slowly add back in nutritional choices. Did you use mag cream on his neck or chiro? abbe

Abbe,

My son used to get very angry and frustrated, and did not know how to enter play with other kids. He also had fine/gross motor issues. He was also anxious when i am not around, but not extreme. And very negative and holds on the negative emotion.

I get him to the park with play dates at the park almost daily. It really helped him to learn how to deal with different scenarios and develope fine/motor skills.

I do senario role play with him by teaching him how to react to different situations. We talk about what happened with him in school daily and brain storm how to make bad situations better. I let him come up with the ideas and i only suggest when necessary.

For negative emotion, i teach him about forgiveness to release the anger and not to let it fester inside.

When he says negative things, which he often does. I would ask him to rephrase it and say something positive about the person or the situation.

Alot of positive reinforcement when i see him doing something right.

I also change my way of talking to him, turn negative into constructive or positive. EX. My son did not complete all the math problems within 5 minutes, so he said "it is too hard, i can't finish". So i told him, " It is not too hard, you just need more practice & time, and as you practice more, it will come."

My goal is to shift his perspective on things and change the direction of energy or focus to a more positive one.

He is in the 3rd grade now, and everyday after school he tells me he had a good and fun day. Whereas he used to dislike school and complains about everything.

Pat

Pat,

Thx for the info. My son has NO problems in school. He is very well liked and very popular. The "cool" kid. He is ver very kind to others . My problem with him is at home. He managed to get control when he souln't have due to the divorce, being the 3rd, and his time in hospital with his neck injury. Now I am clawing my way back to gaining the respect that he must give me. He talks back, does things in his own time etc etc. It is all about POWER for him. I know all this and I will get his behavior under control again. When the ticks started 10-31-08 I found it hard to correct or be stern because I was so scared I could make it worse. I now feel that I need to be consistent to him and with him ticks or not.

abbe

We just got our son's DX last week. We've been dealing with TS for 2yrs. though. We never had a need to go to the Dr. before because our son has done great with his diet. We needed the dx for his medical history. If he gets stressed though...we will start to see mild tics even on his diet. He does do better in school. When I pick him up, the first couple hrs, that is usually the most tics he will have, if he has them. If children with TS do nothing BUT concentrate on NOT doing the tics...they can for the most part control it......TEMPORARILY! It is like holding your breath. And it will usually be worse right after. It's best if you begin to ignore the tics. I know sometimes it was hard for me ( my son would bark!HA!) not to laugh or be worried and maybe even angry. But ultimately, NOT calling attention to it is the best thing. He can't control it, you can't control it, and stress is (for my son) 90% of the problem that always increases it. A little tip: before my son began his diet it had gotten so bad we couldn't even watch a movie together if he was in the room. I would put the t.v. on closed caption or subtitle so we could keep up even with his noises.

Pamela Kay,

thanks for your response. I am getting the allergy testing next week which may be helpful because I still give Nicky corn and took away dairy and wheat. I know he is frustrated with all the changes and unless I find he has an extreme sensitivity or I notic ticcing after certain foods I will slowly add back in nutritional choices. Did you use mag cream on his neck or chiro? abbe

He did go to a chiropractor for a bit. I did not notice any improvements tic wise with it but it did help with his mood. I am not sure if you read this or not but even if he gets tested for allergies and they show that he is not allergic he could still have an intolerance. Just another thing to think about.