ACN Latitudes Forums

Opinions on the Wii?

Toms_Mom

My kids are asking for the Wii for Christmas and I'm looking for advice. Have any of you seen tics as a result of playing this video game? Does it make a difference if they are playing the game on an LCD screen (which we do have). I was wondering since they are moving during this game does it make a difference- it seems like it would be better for them than the other video games where you just sit. Do they get less frustrated? When my son has played video games in the past after a while - about 20 or 30 minutes- he can get very irritable and frustrated to where I eventually have to turn the game off and then he just has a major tantrum.

My daughter really wants the Wii fit, the other kids want the tennis and golf- I'm just not sure what to do! I would hate to buy this and figure out its not good for him and then have to take it away.

Faith, I know you were wondering a while back if the Wii was effecting your son- did you ever figure that out?

Thanks for any advice,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I did restrict it for more than a week back when I was wondering and I do think things got somewhat better, but it is not the only trigger for him it seems. So even when he hasn't used it in a while, he still has tics. However what I do think is that I see him do the one eye twitch looking to the side when he's playing alot and so my strategy is not to let him do it everyday, no way. I say none during the week, only weekends. And another strategy I have is when he's fresh and answers back or something that needs a punishment, I say he lost the Wii for Friday, (then Sat, then Sun), and dare I say he loses it alot!

I would just regulate it, I don't think it is the particular game, but still in the category of video games, which we had none before this. What I also don't like about it is that it can be a time waster, and I usually have to say, "okay, that's enough, you have to get off now". I have never been a fan of any video games, I'm a real downer!

Faith

I purchased the Wii in August for my children. I did not see any increase in tics with the use of the Wii. TV/lights/video games have never been a trigger for my son though.

Actually, his tics returned last week and he did not play the Wii at all that week.....maybe I need to have him try it again :)

We just got a Wii for Sam last week for his 8th birthday. Up to now he's been using an old Playstation. We only let him play on it twice a week - once on a weekend, once on a weekday. He seems to have been much better with the Wii than the PS2. I think it could be partly because he's up and moving around, and there isn't as much movement on the screen as there was on the games he had on the PS2, so it feels easier on the eyes to me. The PS2 always got him wound up and frustrated, but the Wii hasn't had the same effect on him, maybe just because it's still new though.

Thanks for everyones advice on the Wii. I am thinking you all have given me the right idea on how to handle it, by limiting his playing time. I think letting him play on one weekday and one weekend day sounds good- and of course limiting his time on those days as well. Really during the week on schooldays there isn't much time for video games anyway. And Faith my sister does the same thing as you- taking it away for punishments- it seems to work really well. Thanks again!