ACN Latitudes Forums

vitamin D

EAMom

EAMom/Kim.....This is OH so very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a little off fromt he vitamin D and Vaccinantions but .... Funny how this old woman that lives down the street told me a story about her Mom and Family who lived in another country. They grew their own tobacco and everything. Anyhow she reported that only 6 months after she came to the United States and was exposed to all CRAP here....she developed a tumor that killed her.

She was 82 years old and healthy as a horse from what I was told. Our food, our everything!!!! I can't imagine what it would and will be like here in another 100 years if all this stuff continues. It is very sad, very sad indeed that we have to live in a pretty much toxic and poisonous world.....not to mention what some of our children are going through.

If my husbands employer starts to get hit from this really bad economy right now.....I would love to leave this country...sorry but...it's true. And I am ONLY speaking for health benefits so that is VERY sad. I think Florida is a nasty dirty SWAMP. Its not fit for people much less animals any longer.

Sorry I have to laugh....I had a moment, had to apparently vent. Just something else that really gets to me.

I forgot to mention that it was on these very boards that I learned that tylenol wipes out the sulfification system completely. (sure I spelled that wrong) Sometimes I can't stop from completely HATING myself for not knowing of all these things prior to even having a child. My doctor back home always told us to give tylenol before we even got to the office for shots! I thought I was prepared for Motherhood, thought I did my research, believed in Doctors like they were GOD. If only I could just go back to that one day of the 9 vaccinations. I would give anything to do that. Sometimes its hard thinking that I played a part in this whole thing. Especially when I look at her. I feel as though I have ruined her life in a funny kind of way. Well it seems I am ready for a good cry now...talk to you all later, have a nice night

Found this from the vitamindcouncil.org site today:

Bruce Hollis, professor of pediatrics at the Medical University of South Carolina has long said the recommended daily allowance—200 to 400 international units per day—is a joke. Instead, he suggests supplementing with at least 2,000 IU's or higher, especially between October and April for Chicagoans.

They also have a D test for $100 bucks.

Re. blood tests....I read somewhere that D levels are at their lowest in March. So, if you blood test now you might get a higher value (since still has Vit D stores from summer) vs. if you test in March....something to think about. So, if your bloodtest is okay in Sept/Oct, it doesn't mean you're necessarily okay after a long cold winter.

follow up to the autism Somalia story. appears to me that it's going in the same direction of every other story that could yield information to help affected children

http://www.ageofautism.com/2008/11/on-autism-somal.html

Anne Harrington was there but she didn't talk about Somalis being over-vaccinated like she did in the Reuters piece from July. Nor did she again say it's preventable. Instead, she talked about the help the schools provide and she made a strange comment about how "reassuring" it was to see that the rise in the autism population in MN was the same as the rest of the country.

Dr. McLellan was heard from again in the first panel to present information. His main message didn't sound anything like what he had said in the Tribune. He wasn't concerned that there was 'something up with this.' Instead, he knew all about autism and he wasn't worried. He wasted no time in getting out the message that autism is nothing new. He told us about the "long history of autism' which went back to the 1500's. His position was clear: we've always had kids like this.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another update on Somali Children. I won't be getting my hopes up that this will lead to any useful conclusions anytime soon, but it's tempting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/health/01autism.html

Autism Rates Are Higher for U.S.-Born Somali Children in Minneapolis

Next thing we'll probably read is that it's a problem with exposure to vinyl flooring. Not saying that there isn't a problem with vinyl, but don't think it's a "stunning" probability that it's significantly involved in the huge increase in autoimmune/ spectrum disorders.

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs...-vinyl-flooring

Scientists find 'baffling' link between autism and vinyl flooring

Teresa Binstock wrote a nice article regarding this study. The reference articles are well worth looking at

http://www.generationrescue.org/binstock/0...ng-Binstock.htm

Had to add this one since it specifically mentions TS. This study is in reference to the vinyl again. What really struck me was that 1 in 66 children were thought to have one of these disorders in this survey. I have read many times that the 1 in 150 that is referenced in many articles is an outdated number (in US anyway)! These were Swedish children. Don't know what #'s they report.

http://www.science-direct.com/science?_ob=...9e490ff39740caf

Associations between indoor environmental factors and parental-reported autistic spectrum disorders in children 6–8 years of age

The 2005 survey, based on the same children, now 6–8 years of age, also asked if, during the intervening period, the child had been diagnosed with Autism, Asperger's syndrome, or Tourette's syndrome. From a total of 4779 eligible children, 72 (60 boys, 12 girls) were identified with parentally reported autism spectrum disorder.

• 1 month later...

Toll like receptors and vit D again. Can anyone say that their PANDAS kids improve dramatically after enough sun exposure to start these levels rising after winter months?

This article confuses me though. The sentence that I bolded, makes me wonder what stimulates TLR9 to render it ineffective?

http://www.huliq.com/11/76027/new-effect-i...stem-vitamin-d3

New effect on immune system of Vitamin D3

Tregs are immune cells able to dampen ongoing immune responses. They help prevent the immune system from attacking cells and tissues of the body (i.e., they help prevent autoimmue diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis) as well as innocuous inhaled substances (i.e., they help prevent allergy). They therefore have immense clinical potential. In the study, TLR9 was found to be highly expressed by a defined population of human Tregs that produce the soluble antiinflammatory factor IL-10.

Specifically, IL-10–secreting Tregs induced in the presence of a form of Vitamin D known as 1-alpha,25VitD3. In vitro, induction of TLR9 was mainly regulated by 1-alpha,25VitD3, and humans that ingested 1-alpha,25VitD3 were found to have more T cells expressing TLR9 and producing IL-10. Importantly, stimulation of TLR9 on 1-alpha,25VitD3-induced IL-10–secreting Tregs eliminated their ability to suppress immune responses in vitro.

I have been finding a large number of women at my work who are testing low for vitamin D. It's like an epidemic. I have hashimoto's thyroid autoimmune disease and was really helped by getting my low vitamin D diagnosed. I had my girls vitamin D levels tested but they were normal but because of my low D, I don't put sun screen on them unless we are going to be out for long periods of time with direct sun. I find the topic of Vit D to be interesting though and I'll have to read up on these links.

Susan

Has anyone had their child react by detoxing and looking very ill when supplementing with vitamin d? My daughter is very low in vitamin d and we have had a very hard time supplementing with it. She always looks ill, pale, eczema appears on her face when I introduce vitamin d. She was on 1000 ius for a while (it took a year to work up to that) but we took a supplement break due to severe OCD. Now that we tried vitamin d again, we are right back to her looking very ill from it. I used to think this was just because her body really needed it, and when given her body would start to detox. Now I am just wondering if she really is intolerant to the supplement and we need to use a sun lamp as she will not consistently go out in the sun.

Sandy

Has anyone had their child react by detoxing and looking very ill when supplementing with vitamin d? My daughter is very low in vitamin d and we have had a very hard time supplementing with it. She always looks ill, pale, eczema appears on her face when I introduce vitamin d. She was on 1000 ius for a while (it took a year to work up to that) but we took a supplement break due to severe OCD. Now that we tried vitamin d again, we are right back to her looking very ill from it. I used to think this was just because her body really needed it, and when given her body would start to detox. Now I am just wondering if she really is intolerant to the supplement and we need to use a sun lamp as she will not consistently go out in the sun.

Sandy

Hi Sandy, I don't know if this will be helpful but I thought I'd mention that I had a very hard time myself when I started vitamin D supplements due to low vit. D numbers. I was very low and started mega doses. It gave me horrible headaches and I would feel like I could not breathe. I had to try 3 different types of vitamin D and work up slowly to be able to tolerate it. Now that my numbers are good, I can take any vitamin D with no trouble. Just a thought for you anyway to maybe try a different type or brand? Unfortunately I don't know the differences between what I originally took and what I ended up with. They were prescriptions.

Susan

EAMom/Kim.....This is OH so very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a little off fromt he vitamin D and Vaccinantions but .... Funny how this old woman that lives down the street told me a story about her Mom and Family who lived in another country. They grew their own tobacco and everything. Anyhow she reported that only 6 months after she came to the United States and was exposed to all CRAP here....she developed a tumor that killed her.

She was 82 years old and healthy as a horse from what I was told. Our food, our everything!!!! I can't imagine what it would and will be like here in another 100 years if all this stuff continues. It is very sad, very sad indeed that we have to live in a pretty much toxic and poisonous world.....not to mention what some of our children are going through.

If my husbands employer starts to get hit from this really bad economy right now.....I would love to leave this country...sorry but...it's true. And I am ONLY speaking for health benefits so that is VERY sad. I think Florida is a nasty dirty SWAMP. Its not fit for people much less animals any longer.

Sorry I have to laugh....I had a moment, had to apparently vent. Just something else that really gets to me.

OK, Myrose, I had to laugh! My dh and I constantly talk about leaving the country. We love America but we feel this country's infrastructure is falling apart and that we are keeping the American people unhealthy b/c the FDA refuses to consider a lot of the alternative treatments for diseases and disorders that many European nations have been using successfully for years. My dream is to move to Italy but my dh wants to move to Germany! I doubt it will ever happen, but it's a dream!

On the Vitamin D thing. My ds gets outside daily as we live in Arizona and the sun shines here about 300 days a year. I only put sunscreen on him if it's going to be above 90 and if it's at the peak time of day for UV. So, should we think about supplementing with Vitamin D? I am actually thinking of doing it for myself but that's b/c I'm approaching menopause and I have a lot of melanin in my skin, I hardly ever burn. Is natural sunlight enough for children?

B

Thanks, Susan - so maybe we just need to keep at it - adding it in very slowly. We are on our third different brand of Vitamin D now and she seems to react to them all.

Sandy

Sandy

Hi Sandy, I don't know if this will be helpful but I thought I'd mention that I had a very hard time myself when I started vitamin D supplements due to low vit. D numbers. I was very low and started mega doses. It gave me horrible headaches and I would feel like I could not breathe. I had to try 3 different types of vitamin D and work up slowly to be able to tolerate it. Now that my numbers are good, I can take any vitamin D with no trouble. Just a thought for you anyway to maybe try a different type or brand? Unfortunately I don't know the differences between what I originally took and what I ended up with. They were prescriptions.

Susan