ACN Latitudes Forums

need ideas for sneaking fish oil into diet

EAMom

We use Barlean's Kid's Omega Swirl Fish oil. It is a lemon cream that we squeeze right onto a teaspoon. All four of my kids line up for it...my dd reiminds me that she needs to take it. My husband bought it, so I don't know what it cost, but we did waste a lot of $ on products before we found this.

I also give them two gummy fish and two gummy vitamins in the morning...they do prefer the lemon oil over the sugar coated gummy fish.

The gummy fish I saw didn't have a sugar coating, but I made the mistake of reading the label out loud in front of my 5 yr old and when I said fish oil, he wanted nothing to do w/ it. So, since an 8 yr old can read, hide whatever you buy:)

Do you know what store the Barlean's is sold at?

My husband bought it at a health food store called Nature's Garden--I think it might be a franchise because they sell vitamins and minerals with the same label. There is also a website listed on the label www.barleans.com

It is a blend. It also has omega 3 and 9 in it. The pediatric psychaiatrist who told us to give her the omega 3 said to aim for 1200-1500 mg a day. This only has 185 mg of DHA per teaspoon...I was only giving my dd one a day and two gummy fish...not enough. We bought another orange flavored oil, that has 750mg of DHA per teaspoon...so we are going to try to add it to jello or something. it is natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors.

I bought the coromega...both kids (and me!) hate it. :( We have the orange flavor. It reminds me of baby asprin from when I was a kid.

My pandas dd likes the (lemon) Carlson's fish oil. I sneak a little on her pancake in the am. (My other dd hates lemon flavor so that doesn't work for her.)

What works for us.....

Well, for months and months I was trying to get them both to take fish oil...tried everything! I could never sneak it passed them, never. And the pills are just way too big.

Then I tried Carlson's, both flavors. I can take it straight, it is that mild.

What I do is just pour it in about a quarter cup of juice...I know, it doesn't mix and sits on top. My boys can see it sitting on the top of the juice, but, they just think it is "kid stuff" to help them grow big and strong. When they drink the juice, the oil just slips down their throats....they never know or taste a thing.

My son is extremely finicky and the only fish oil I could get him to take was: Frutol High DHA berry by PHARMAX. It is filed with DHA and Pro biotics and it is emulsified with blueberries so it is not fihy or oily AT ALL. My son takes a tablespoon AM and PM. It was a relief to find this!

Hi,

does anyone have any suggestions for sneaking fish oil into an 8 year old's diet? I tried the kids nordic natural pills (both the lemon capsules and the tiny strawberry flavored balls)...PANDAS dd has rejected them. She also won't eat fish. I am hopeful about trying the lemon flavored carlson's brand (which P. Mom suggested, got good reviews on amazon as well). I highly doubt she will take it directly but there is hope if I sneak it into something. Does anybody have any experience with this?