ACN Latitudes Forums

need ideas for sneaking fish oil into diet

EAMom

Hi,

does anyone have any suggestions for sneaking fish oil into an 8 year old's diet? I tried the kids nordic natural pills (both the lemon capsules and the tiny strawberry flavored balls)...PANDAS dd has rejected them. She also won't eat fish. I am hopeful about trying the lemon flavored carlson's brand (which P. Mom suggested, got good reviews on amazon as well). I highly doubt she will take it directly but there is hope if I sneak it into something. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I break open the tablets and put them into my one year olds juice. She never knows they are in there. I have been using the Nordic Natural DHA strawberry balls. My six year old son just swallows them. Also there is a great flax oil that is a strawberry smoothie. It taste great and is super for them. It is called Omega Swirl by Barlean's. Good luck.

Michele

Hi,

does anyone have any suggestions for sneaking fish oil into an 8 year old's diet? I tried the kids nordic natural pills (both the lemon capsules and the tiny strawberry flavored balls)...PANDAS dd has rejected them. She also won't eat fish. I am hopeful about trying the lemon flavored carlson's brand (which P. Mom suggested, got good reviews on amazon as well). I highly doubt she will take it directly but there is hope if I sneak it into something. Does anybody have any experience with this?

EAMom,

I bought a set of shot glasses and use them for "cherry bombs," which is another way to say, whatever yucky substance mom wants to hide in cherry juice. It disguises almost anything -- b6, magnesium, buffered vit C powder, . . .

Fish oil is going to be a tough one though. I can't imagine that it would compromise it if you put it in soup, but sounds like she may turn her nose up at the soup. Salad dressing might be a better hiding place (wouldn't have to consider the temperature issue either). A strong vinagrette should hide it well, or a honey-mustard. You could also consider making your own dressing with flax seed oil. It has a walnut like flavor.

• 7 months later...

Fish oil is traveling to be a boxy one though. I can't brainstorm that it would accommodation it if you put it in soup, but sounds like she may about-face her adenoids up at the soup. Salad bathrobe ability be a bigger ambuscade abode (wouldn't accept to accede the temperature affair either). A able vinagrette should adumbrate it well, or a honey-mustard. You could aswell accede authoritative your own bathrobe with beat berry oil. It has a walnut like flavor.

hoodia diet pills

We use Barlean's Kid's Omega Swirl Fish oil. It is a lemon cream that we squeeze right onto a teaspoon. All four of my kids line up for it...my dd reiminds me that she needs to take it. My husband bought it, so I don't know what it cost, but we did waste a lot of $ on products before we found this.

I also give them two gummy fish and two gummy vitamins in the morning...they do prefer the lemon oil over the sugar coated gummy fish.

We use Barlean's Kid's Omega Swirl Fish oil. It is a lemon cream that we squeeze right onto a teaspoon. All four of my kids line up for it...my dd reiminds me that she needs to take it. My husband bought it, so I don't know what it cost, but we did waste a lot of $ on products before we found this.

I also give them two gummy fish and two gummy vitamins in the morning...they do prefer the lemon oil over the sugar coated gummy fish.

The gummy fish I saw didn't have a sugar coating, but I made the mistake of reading the label out loud in front of my 5 yr old and when I said fish oil, he wanted nothing to do w/ it. So, since an 8 yr old can read, hide whatever you buy:)

Do you know what store the Barlean's is sold at?

I break them open with a sharp end of a corn holder and put them into juice. Ours are nordic naturals DHA for kids in strawberry flavor. They break open easily and blend in with juice. Good luck.

Hi,

I have been giving my son (now 8) Coromega orange flavored "pudding" packets for two years now. He is an incredibly picky eater, so I was shocked when I was able to get him to take it. I started with one packet at a time, and let him chase it with an ounce of straight juice (his juice is always watered down at least 50% otherwise) and in the very beginning he got a hershey's kiss, too. After awhile I was able to get away with skipping the chocolate. These days he takes three packets at once, squeezed out on a spoon, with a juice chaser. He doesn't love it, but he takes it without too much complaint. It helps to keep it in the fridge as it tastes better cold.

My big joke is that my kid won't eat a grilled cheese sandwich, but he'll eat orange flavored fish pudding. Go figure. LOL

Oh, and my son tried a gummy fish once when it came as a free sample and didn't like it at all.

I have been giving my son (now 8) Coromega orange flavored "pudding" packets for two years now. He is an incredibly picky eater, so I was shocked when I was able to get him to take it. I started with one packet at a time, and let him chase it with an ounce of straight juice (his juice is always watered down at least 50% otherwise) and in the very beginning he got a hershey's kiss, too. After awhile I was able to get away with skipping the chocolate. These days he takes three packets at once, squeezed out on a spoon, with a juice chaser. He doesn't love it, but he takes it without too much complaint. It helps to keep it in the fridge as it tastes better cold.

My big joke is that my kid won't eat a grilled cheese sandwich, but he'll eat orange flavored fish pudding. Go figure. LOL

Oh, and my son tried a gummy fish once when it came as a free sample and didn't like it at all.

That's what we use too! DD6 loves them. I give her one in the am and one in the pm. My 7 yr old dd hates them. She drinks 2 tsp of Nordic Naturals Orange flavored cod liver oil. I make some herbal tea and mix it in with it and she chokes it down. Strangely, she can swallow pills but would rather take that concoction than swallow those big oil pills.

Susan

We use the Coromega too and both my children like them. My daughter is 4 and takes them great and sometimes asks for 2. They have a new flavor out that is a chocolate orange. My kids say it tastes like a toostie roll. They will take and like the lime, but not as much as the orange or orange chocolate. One question I have for everyone is the dosage. I give my 10 year old 2 coromego and 4 year old one. Is that enough? Should I do more?

We use the Coromega too and both my children like them. My daughter is 4 and takes them great and sometimes asks for 2. They have a new flavor out that is a chocolate orange. My kids say it tastes like a toostie roll. They will take and like the lime, but not as much as the orange or orange chocolate. One question I have for everyone is the dosage. I give my 10 year old 2 coromego and 4 year old one. Is that enough? Should I do more?

Our Ped. just told us 3 packets for my dd who is 6.5 yrs old and 42 lbs. I was only giving her one so I upped it to 2 for a while. I'm thinking about trying the chocolate flavor next.

Susan