ACN Latitudes Forums

licking/touching tics

airbucket

I dont know if this is a tic or an OCD, does anyones child do this: my son (9) is escalating in his need to lick others and touch women's private areas. He seems very aware of when he does this, and will look at you almsot like for a reaction (?) but says he cant help it and he has to do these things. I wonder if the complusion starts because these actions are "not allwed" and forbidden? I dont know if other parents have dealth with this? It reminds me a litle of the topic of the mom who felt bad for getting upset that her son couldnt stop smelling. But needing to touch breasts? is that a tic? thank you this is getting so frusturating and i dont know what to do, im trying to give replacements to him but its not working. thank you.

here is that chart of common tics again and yup, the licking and touching others (nomatter where) are in there

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/Files/CommonTics.PDF

I do think the touching is one of those times when tics and OCD morph

very hard when the inappropriate ones manifest so I truly feel for you and hope this one passes quickly.

CBT really did help my son in the substitution for the socially embarrassing tics and OCDs

wow. thank you Chemar! i just finished downloading and reading the article that Guy123 was referring to by Charles Mansueto called Tics or Compulsions? Tourrettic OCD. It is fascinating! I dont know how to get the article here because i ended up paying for it because i only found an incomplete portion of it on ocdfoundation.org. If anyone would like the article i can email it directly.

chemar thank you.

here is that chart of common tics again and yup, the licking and touching others (nomatter where) are in there

very hard when the inappropriate ones manifest so I truly feel for you and hope this one passes quickly.

CBT really did help my son in the substitution for the socially embarrassing tics and OCDs

wow. thank you Chemar! i just finished downloading and reading the article that Guy123 was referring to by Charles Mansueto called Tics or Compulsions? Tourrettic OCD. It is fascinating! I dont know how to get the article here because i ended up paying for it because i only found an incomplete portion of it on ocdfoundation.org. If anyone would like the article i can email it directly.

chemar thank you.

Oh no! The entire article is available for free on his website.

Hold on I will post a link.

edit - i can't find it anymore. weird.

thank you Guy! I wish i hadnt paid for it but i was too eager to have it! the article was excellent.

chemar, my son is 9 years old and DX with pdd nos (which we think is bogus), TS and OCD. However, unlike many descriptions of people's children on here, he is not just a regular kid plus tics, he has so many many issues! anyhow, among them is he is extremely immature and "silly", like he rarely comes down to reality sort of, so i dont know how we woudl be able to do CBT or E/RP with him. i took him to a new psychologist a few weeks ago and for 2 session, over $300, all she could get him to do is play with the toys, he wouldnt talk about anything, as though it was like trying to talk to a 4 year old. Maybe its just not possible until he is older and has matured more or maybe gluten is causing the opiod effect in him making act like he is out of it and overly silly, i dont know. I guess the kids who participate in CBT and therapy are able to sit and talk. I tried the other day to explain tics ot my son and he is just not interested. I think a lot of it is the language delay, which i have not heard others on here talk about their kids have speech and language delays and disorders. I continue to wonder if my kid will be the seemingly only kid on the planet who does not respond to any vitamin/supp therapy or protocols? i started b complex and flax oil weeks ago and i see NO difference in his symptoms. I am trying ot get some "DAN" funding right now, if it doesnt come thru i will try and purchase the home testing kits and do it "myself" if thats possible.

Oh wait, here it is, on his website.

Link to page:

http://web.mac.com/charlesmansueto/Behavio...f_Research.html

Direct link to article (it's a .zip file containing a .pdf file):

http://web.mac.com/charlesmansueto/Behavio...tic%20OCD_1.zip

Airbucket, what is PDD NOS? My ds has other issues, too. I believe he has sensory integration disorder, dysgraphia, and some other LD's. He has OCD and terrible anxiety along with the tics. You are not the only one. My son seems to be a bit immature emotionally and socially but he can sit through his therapy sessions. I have to tell you that we are doing CBT right now and I'm not seeing my ds be able to apply it. He wants to apply it but it's really hard for him b/c the anxiety just takes over! Although, he was having trouble sleeping over at a friend's house on Friday night, he told me on the phone that he was going to put his best foot forward and stick it out even though he missed home and missed us. He was very relieved to be home in the morning but he made it through and he knew that he worked through it all on his own. This is part of the CBT that he's doing. Most times, though, he really struggles to apply the techniques especially where his OCD/intrusive thoughts are concerned, those are the worst and he can't seem to break the cycle. Hang in there, I hope these tics go away quickly for you guys. I know how hard it is when some of the weird ones come up!!!

B

thank you, i love dogs. PDD NOS is a Dx under the umbrella of ASD, or autism spectrum disorders. PDD NOS (as distinguished from "PDD" which means pervavise dev disorder, which is the huge umbrella all autism spectrum disorders fall under, however that is not a diagnosis it is a category) indicates the last notch on the spectrum that one is still on the spectrum, in other words it represents a set of symptoms that are very mild and would not qualify for Austim or Aspergers, i.e., when they know something is wrong, when there are some unexplained symptoms or quirks, but they know the child does not have autism, they give the PDD NOS diagnosis (pervavise developmental disorder, not otherwise specified). Due to some quirks with my sons social interactions, he received this diagnosis. I think its a bunch of ****. My son also has OCD and OCD tics and AWFUL anxiety, he is startled, jumpy, has no pause between something happening and his reaction to it etc. We havent started CBT. He does have major sensory issues but they are not typical (i.e., not to do with texture, clothing tags etc). We have some strange stuff going on and its very hard to know where and to whom to turn. Im impressed that your son worked out dealing with that night away from home on his own! Good for him!!! thanks for the reply and good luck to you as well!

Airbucket, what is PDD NOS? My ds has other issues, too. I believe he has sensory integration disorder, dysgraphia, and some other LD's. He has OCD and terrible anxiety along with the tics. You are not the only one. My son seems to be a bit immature emotionally and socially but he can sit through his therapy sessions. I have to tell you that we are doing CBT right now and I'm not seeing my ds be able to apply it. He wants to apply it but it's really hard for him b/c the anxiety just takes over! Although, he was having trouble sleeping over at a friend's house on Friday night, he told me on the phone that he was going to put his best foot forward and stick it out even though he missed home and missed us. He was very relieved to be home in the morning but he made it through and he knew that he worked through it all on his own. This is part of the CBT that he's doing. Most times, though, he really struggles to apply the techniques especially where his OCD/intrusive thoughts are concerned, those are the worst and he can't seem to break the cycle. Hang in there, I hope these tics go away quickly for you guys. I know how hard it is when some of the weird ones come up!!!

B

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know if this is a tic or an OCD, does anyones child do this: my son (9) is escalating in his need to lick others and touch women's private areas. He seems very aware of when he does this, and will look at you almsot like for a reaction (?) but says he cant help it and he has to do these things. I wonder if the complusion starts because these actions are "not allwed" and forbidden? I dont know if other parents have dealth with this? It reminds me a litle of the topic of the mom who felt bad for getting upset that her son couldnt stop smelling. But needing to touch breasts? is that a tic? thank you this is getting so frusturating and i dont know what to do, im trying to give replacements to him but its not working. thank you.

I feel that:

tic = response to a sensation

compulsion = response to a thought