ACN Latitudes Forums

Certain foods make vocal tics worse

F-guy,

Have you heard of "latex allergy?" Apparently many people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to bananas, avocado, papaya, chestnut, and grass and olive pollens. There are about five others if I recall, and most people aren't allergic to all, but several or more within the group. Have you reacted this way to avocado? I think kiwi and melon are in the group as well. It's Googlable.

I don't know why they would manifest exclusively as vocal though. I think dairy products have a reputation for that. They are notorious for causing excess mucous and throat clearing in the general population. I think people with latex and banana allergy are most likely to respond with anaphalaxys.

What kind of vocal are we talking? Throat clearing?

F-guy,

Have you heard of "latex allergy?" Apparently many people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to bananas, avocado, papaya, chestnut, and grass and olive pollens. There are about five others if I recall, and most people aren't allergic to all, but several or more within the group. Have you reacted this way to avocado? I think kiwi and melon are in the group as well. It's Googlable.

I don't know why they would manifest exclusively as vocal though. I think dairy products have a reputation for that. They are notorious for causing excess mucous and throat clearing in the general population. I think people with latex and banana allergy are most likely to respond with anaphalaxys.

What kind of vocal are we talking? Throat clearing?

`Yes I would say its a form of throat clearing/throat scratching. Also yes exactky a huge build up of mucus. This happens when I eat a good amount of my minor allergies. I dont memebr all of them but some were like alfala, bannas, turkey, eggs, wheat, flour. I had a lot of minor one's but the doctor just told me to avoid my major one's cheese and cottage cheese but I think I should try all

My son has an increase in vocal tics with some of the same foods you talk about.

I thought it could have been because bananas and avacado are high in tyrsine the precursor to dopamine. y son went nuts on some B vits. that had bovine brain and porcine stomach or something like that all high in tyrosine. I think chix liver would do the same thing. Just what I thought don'tknow if I'm right, but dopamine is a huge problem for my son.

CP

• 1 year later...

There are some foods that I eat and high amounts and give me really bad vocal tics like olive oil and bannas. WHy would they only give me a rise in vocal tics but not motor? Could this be telling me something?

Did you find the answer to your question? I'm starting to suspect the same thing for my son.

Looks like his vocal tics also get triggered by bananas.

He is also allergic to trees pollen and mold.

deby,

it seems it is vocals for us that wax and wane too, altho I can't pinpoint exactly what the triggers may be. we have recently had a vacation in California and I'm wondering about allergens in that environment. How long does the increase last when exposed to these things? would you think that a couple days back home should calm things if allergens were the problem?

thanks

Faith

Faith,

I am sorry but I'm trying to figure it out also, I read that some people with pollen allergy can develop OAS (oral allergy syndrome) to specific foods.

We are trying to find the triggers for my DS8 tics, and looks like the foods that he was craving the most (bananas and cucumbers in his case) became a food allergy for him.

Right now we are avoiding those foods as well as all the artificial foods and colors and his vocals appear to be better.