ACN Latitudes Forums

inhibitory amino acids

faith

Hi all,

I am looking at the inhibitory amino acids, gaba, glycine, l-glutamine, taurine. (of these i only give gaba). Has anyone experimented using all of these together at the same time, or would you think it be too much. Any thoughts on this? Also, I am seeing that tyrosine is listed as an inhibitory amino acid, altho I was under impression it was considered adverse for ts as it is excitory? could anyone clarify?

I had recently tried a few days of tryptophan on my son and am feeling like his vocal got worse off. Although He has been off of it for more than a week now, he is still vocal ticcing pretty much. I am not exactly remembering where the vocal was when I gave the tryptophan as I was more concentrating on the eye twitch, which is diminished, however, probably coincidence, but the vocal increase is definitely recent as in the same week I used the tryptophan, don't think it was that much before. I also introduced some flax oil, which I have also stopped.

But I am curious as to anyone's comments. I did find an old post from several years ago from Bonnie Grimaldi in which she comments to be careful of tryptophan, although does not say exactly why. I am wondering because it is listed as an inhibitory amino, and thought it was for helping with seratonin. I am wondering about this seratonin thingy, because if you are low in that, wouldn't you be down and blue (oh wait, that's me!),.... but if this is true in those with ts, my son does not seem that at all, he does not show any symptoms of depression, but is irritable at times when he must do things he does not want to like homework. Aside from that he is party boy.

thanks

Faith

Hey Faith, I am giving Griffin L-glutamine and glycine right now and he gets a small amount of taurine in one of his Neuroscience combo supplements. Since his naturopath has him on powdered L-glutamine and glycine, I can't quote exact amounts but we aren't seeing an increase in tics at all. He's been on them for about 2 months now. Yet, I also haven't seen a decrease in tics, either. Just the normal mild wax and wane that's been around since early August. I have not tried the others that you've mentioned.

Bonnie

bonnie,

so you gave the glycine and glutamine after August when things were already milder? And I guess you are saying it did not get better or worse? How about in other areas, like attention, behavioral?

Cheri,

the post I was referring to is from like 2003, I think she Bonnie may have been referring to the ban on tryptophan at that time. this is the page i was looking at:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...,and,tryptophan

Faith

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I am looking at the inhibitory amino acids, gaba, glycine, l-glutamine, taurine. (of these i only give gaba). Has anyone experimented using all of these together at the same time, or would you think it be too much. Any thoughts on this? Also, I am seeing that tyrosine is listed as an inhibitory amino acid, altho I was under impression it was considered adverse for ts as it is excitory? could anyone clarify?

I had recently tried a few days of tryptophan on my son and am feeling like his vocal got worse off. Although He has been off of it for more than a week now, he is still vocal ticcing pretty much. I am not exactly remembering where the vocal was when I gave the tryptophan as I was more concentrating on the eye twitch, which is diminished, however, probably coincidence, but the vocal increase is definitely recent as in the same week I used the tryptophan, don't think it was that much before. I also introduced some flax oil, which I have also stopped.

But I am curious as to anyone's comments. I did find an old post from several years ago from Bonnie Grimaldi in which she comments to be careful of tryptophan, although does not say exactly why. I am wondering because it is listed as an inhibitory amino, and thought it was for helping with seratonin. I am wondering about this seratonin thingy, because if you are low in that, wouldn't you be down and blue (oh wait, that's me!),.... but if this is true in those with ts, my son does not seem that at all, he does not show any symptoms of depression, but is irritable at times when he must do things he does not want to like homework. Aside from that he is party boy.

thanks

Faith

hi faith,

yes, my son uses taurine, glycine and occassionally gaba. taurine and glycine definitely works for him in reducing tics but i notice that he is very sensitive to gaba ( a little too much or too little gaba affects his snorting tics dramatically ).

too much taurine causes weight loss and too much glycine makes him sleepy and lose appetitte so you gotta be careful.

hope this helps.

ml_gwi