ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep

Char

HI,

My son who is seven has tics. He just tested positive for strep. His tics have gotten worse since he's been sick. Does this mean maybe he has pandas? I'm so confused!!!Ever since he was 3 and a half he gets swollen neck glands lots and sore throats lots. Is Pandas a possibility? Any feed back would be appericated.. Thanks Char..

Yes, possibly. Many find it helpful to keep a log/calender and track symptoms (tics, other behaviors). Also, record when and what antibiotics were used and the response. Be vigilant about throat cultures. Even in your son doesn't have a sore throat, if tics suddenly increase get a culture. That way, you will have a record/evidence to show a doc down the line. We are also culture other family members as our younger dd (non pandas) is a strep carrier and can serve as a source of infection to our older pandas dd. Last month we cultured our younger dd b/c she got 2 strep notices in school. Our PANDAS dd was starting to exhibit mild symptoms (even though she's on antibioitcs). Our ped was very surprised that our younger dd came back with heavy strep growth on her culture as she had no symptoms, no red sore throat or anything.

I would also rec. changing toothbrushes and toothpaste a couple days into a round of antibioitcs. Also, don't let kids share toothpaste. Give each one their own tube.

Also, if your child normally tics but strep (among other illnesses, stress, foods, etc) just makes the tics worse...well I'm not sure if this techinically qualifies as PANDAS. The question is, if there was no such thing as strep, would your child still have tics? That is a hard question to answer. Was strep the thing that caused his first set of tics? If so, then I would lean toward a "yes" on the pandas question. However, that may be a hard question to answer esp. since not all kids get strep with classic symptoms so the parent knows it's strep.

Also, does your son have any other symptoms? Mood changes? Urinary frequency? OCD? Headaches?

EAMOM,

Thanks for responding. My son has had swollen glands most of the time since about three and a half. Every since then,the eye and neck tics have been there. He is a sweet boy but if he gets into big crowds he has to be right by my side or my husbands side. If he can't,then he hides. I have always thought that he was shy but now I'm not so sure. He can't focus on things very long and he gets very annoyed if I try to get him too. He has been on antibiotic for almost 4 days now. I have seen something I am so amazed at. He has had major eye rolling for a long time and to my amazement his eye rolling has got better, I would say about 65% better. He can focus on me better,when I am talking to him. I don't know if it's just gotten better or if it's the antibiotics. IT's so hard to tell? Also I just found out he has a high sensitivity to eggs. So I'm going to start him on a no egg diet. Does anyone who has children with Pandas also have food sensitivities? I feel so bad because he has had the flu shot the last three years. I'm feeling very confused!!! Could this still be Pandas? Any feed back would be great. THANKS....

Char, It is great you are here! You don't say where you live but one of the major hurdles we all have is finding a DR who believes in PANDAS and one who will listen to you possibly be open to prescribing long term antibiotics.(if necessary)

How did you find the food sensitivity? Did you have an IGG test run? so you must be seeing someone?? After we found the PANDAS I had my son tested for everything and he was sensitive to dairy/eggs/PB so we eliminated those from his diet. Also he had several vitamin defiencies and tested high for some metals.

Personally I would not do anymore shots ( to cause more aggravation to the immune system) You don't say if you started any supplements? vitamins? I've done alot of research on immune system supplements(as everyone here does!!) right now I have my son on epicor from VRP. It's an immune modulator. Also some people use Transfer Factor. If you're seeing a naturopath or a DAN Dr they may suggest some thing like this?

My DAN Dr just started us on high dose vitamin D, she said it really helps the immune sytem..Sarah

How long is your son on antibiotics for? What abs did he get? That is good news that tics are decreasing on them after only 4 days! If you could get a longer term rx (a month perhaps) that would give you a better indication if it is really the antibiotics vs. just a coincidence (waxing/waning of tics). The focusing better is a good sign too.

Yes, it could be PANDAS. Keep up the record keeping!