ACN Latitudes Forums

update - Still Tic Free

Nan

Hi all,

It has been a while since I posted . Hope you are all doing well. My daughter has been tic free for the past 4 or 5 months. A quick recap: Back in May, we found out that she has food sensitivities to egg, wheat and went on a restrictive diet. Now, she eats wheat ; we still avoid eggs and she has been doing great. This was the time of the year when she developed tics last year, so I will still need to watch out but so far she has been doing good.

-Nan

Nan

I am so happy for you I could actually feel my tears coming on. I hope you remain like this forever! God Bless

Myrose,

Thank you so much for your good wishes. How is your daughter doing ? Sorry, I haven't caught up on the posts yet.

-Nan

Nan,

It's so great to read your success that you have been having with your daughter. Reading posts like yours, gives me hope, thank- you for posting!! I have recently found out that my son has an egg sensitivity through an IGG allergy test. I read that you have gone wheat and egg free. I was just wondering if you knew how long it takes to see an improvement with tics when avoiding eggs? Has it been hard to go egg free? Is there anything that you have found that eggs are hidden in, when it does not say it on the ingredients,( on food labels?) If your daughter has eggs does the tics come back? Sorry for so many questions but, I'M just starting to go egg free. I feel so bad because I have been feeding him eggs all the time and he has gotten the flu shot, the last three years. But I didn't know he was sensitive to eggs, however I still feel bad. If you have any suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks....

Hi Char,

We found out in May of this year that her most severe allergies were to egg and wheat (in that order). It was harder for us to go wheat free than egg free. We saw improvement in her tics in 2-3 days and 90% reduction 3 weeks later and a couple of months later, she was completely tic free and has been so since that time. We then gradually added wheat back. The tics have not returned, but I do find that her nasal allergies have been worse since we added wheat back and her focus is not as good either. She seems to be a little bit spacey (but nothing really bad or something that has us concerned yet). I do find it interesting to see how food sensitivities can affect so many other things.

She has had cake made with eggs at a couple of parties, we have not seen the tics return. I try and give her enzymes when she takes any food item with egg in it. We have not given her egg in itself (like egg omelet etc) to her yet.

Hope this answers your questions. No need to apologize for asking me questions. I have been in your shoes before and have turned to this board and it's wonderfully giving members who have shared their knowledge and experience with me. I would love to give back in any way I can. In fact, only from this board did I come to know that food sensitivities might be causing her tics and decided to do allergy testing on her. If she is tic-free today, I owe it entirely to this board and the members .

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

-Nan

Nan,

It's so great to read your success that you have been having with your daughter. Reading posts like yours, gives me hope, thank- you for posting!! I have recently found out that my son has an egg sensitivity through an IGG allergy test. I read that you have gone wheat and egg free. I was just wondering if you knew how long it takes to see an improvement with tics when avoiding eggs? Has it been hard to go egg free? Is there anything that you have found that eggs are hidden in, when it does not say it on the ingredients,( on food labels?) If your daughter has eggs does the tics come back? Sorry for so many questions but, I'M just starting to go egg free. I feel so bad because I have been feeding him eggs all the time and he has gotten the flu shot, the last three years. But I didn't know he was sensitive to eggs, however I still feel bad. If you have any suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks....

IGG and IGE are food allergy tests but, I'll explain the differences between the two. IGG is a Food Intolerance Test. Igg reactions take hours to days to develop after the reactive food is eaten. Igg reactions usually occur with foods that are eaten often. Chronic disease strongly associated with IGG food intolerance reactions. IGG reactions can affect any tissue or organ in the body. IGG reactions are difficult to detect without testing. IGE reactions occur within minutes to hours after eating reactive food. Ige reactions are generally to foods seldom eaten. IGE reactions are acute, which means they are usually quick and noticeable. IGE reactions usually affect airways, skin or intestines. IGE reactions are noticeable immediately after reactive food is eaten. I had a IGE allergy test done on my son, it did not say he had an egg sensitivity but the IGG did. I"m glad I got the IGG test done so, Now i know. I got my test done by Allergysmarts. They also test for yeast problems because sometimes that can be an issue, if you have food intolerances. Does anyone know if going off the foods your intolerant to, would you maybe go through a detox period. I mean would your symptoms get worse? If so, how long? Anyways, I hope this explains the two tests. Any feed back on the detox period would be helpful. Thanks..

Char,

Our son's IgG intolerances were foods he ate multiple times a day every day. We did not see a 'detox' period, so to speak, but his intolerances caused major gastro intestinal issues that took a long time to heal. It was five months before we saw decent improvements (partly due to my ignorance on how to avoid corn), and after nine months he was a completely different kid, IMO. He remains tic free as long as he avoids his allergens. He used to be very reactive when slightly exposed to allergens but now his immune system is much stronger and I do not see multifocal tics anymore. Even when he had a major exposure to HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) at the start of the school year he only had an eyeblinking tic. He used to have six at one time and they used to look like a chorus of ticcing-- the gestures would kind of morph into new ones and some were almost simultaneous.

He originally had 17 intolerances and now we just stay away from gluten, corn, and wheat. We never did IgE on him. It would have been interesting had we done that.

We've been on our diet since April of 2007 and would never think of going back.