ACN Latitudes Forums

Speech Issues

Indigo

Has anyone used nutritional therapies succesfully for speech issues? My son has severe speech and language disorder. I did take him to see a DAN doctor but he felt that it was most likely neurological and we needed to pursue an ENT and posssible neurologist. Even if it is neurological rather than an allergy issue or something, is there something that I can try? I tried CLO with no success in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many kinds of speech issues, but my daughter's are of the apraxic variety (motor). What has helped just a bit, is the CLO w/ bethanechol. Its pretty difficult to find a doc who will prescribe the bethanechol, but I would think you could get it from a DAN practitioner, who should be familiar with Dr. Megson's work in this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can you tell me more about what bethanechol is? I have a wonderful DAN doctor who would probably help me with it...is it a prescription? Ds's issues are speech articulation. It was interesting because he had dental work done and was on an antibiotic for a tooth infection. His speech actually improved on the antibiotic and then got worse 2 days after the antibiotic. First our doctor wants to treat him for yeast--can this cause speech issues? And then we are going to get his strep titers to make sure he doesn't have PANDAS like my dd.

What are your child's ages? At what age did you notice the speech delays? My twenty two month old is saying just a few words and sometimes stops using words she used to say. They are thinking apraxia/dyspraxia. We are getting set to go through all the neuro blood work and MRI. I have her in speech, and OT/PT for tone. I give her fish oils and flax seed. What more can you tell me about speech issues? I am also wondering if this is connected to PANDAS son's neuro issues? Have you had fragile X blood work?

Michele

Hi,

Can you tell me more about what bethanechol is? I have a wonderful DAN doctor who would probably help me with it...is it a prescription? Ds's issues are speech articulation. It was interesting because he had dental work done and was on an antibiotic for a tooth infection. His speech actually improved on the antibiotic and then got worse 2 days after the antibiotic. First our doctor wants to treat him for yeast--can this cause speech issues? And then we are going to get his strep titers to make sure he doesn't have PANDAS like my dd.

Hi,

Bethanecol is a prescription drug that mimics acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter) in the body. Acetylcholine is the nerve to muscle neurotransmitter (and a lot of other things too).

Here is a link to Dr. Megson's paper on it, which I used to get the pediatrician to give it a try:

http://www.megson.com/readings/MedicalHypothesis.pdf

Also this has some info on dosage and is an easier read:

http://216.248.205.207/research/McGinnis1/..._mcginnis1.html

I dont know if yeast can cause speech issues...it seems to be capable of disrupting multiple body systems, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

What are your child's ages? At what age did you notice the speech delays? My twenty two month old is saying just a few words and sometimes stops using words she used to say. They are thinking apraxia/dyspraxia. We are getting set to go through all the neuro blood work and MRI. I have her in speech, and OT/PT for tone. I give her fish oils and flax seed. What more can you tell me about speech issues? I am also wondering if this is connected to PANDAS son's neuro issues? Have you had fragile X blood work?

Michele

My daughter is 14 now. I noticed speech delays in infancy- never really babbled normally. She is still considered nonverbal as verbally words are sporadic. I have searched the net high and low for information on apraxia of speech. Lots of definitions, very little solutions. Wish I had some great advice for you. I hope your speech therapist has more success than ours did.