ACN Latitudes Forums

new info on mercury and chelation

There has been a lot of talk about viruses hiding in metals and I had mentioned in an earlier post that Gaby tested high for mercury content. Another parent just replied to my last post with the same thoughts and it is true that you can't truly get the kids virus free as long as there are a lot of heavy metals on board. Today I talked with the DAN doc in Florida (He specializes in autism, PANDAS, and other related autoimmune diseases). I had asked him about chelating with cilantro and this is what he told me - Apparently cilantro crosses the blood brain barrier and can go intracellular to pull mercury out, but it can be redistributed into other tissues (which is where the chlorella comes in, because it does help in binding and flushing the metals out). However, he does not recommend starting with this right away. He recommends DMPS suppositories twice weekly (120mg. for my 60 lb. child), for several months first. The reason is that the DMPS binds tightly to the metals and does not let them go once they're attached. (cilantro & chlorella binds but can lose the metals just as easily, which can be a problem - if they attach to mercury outside of the cell for instance, then go intracellular and in the process of binding with another metal, such as aluminum for example, they can then drop the mercury from the outside of the cell into the cell they entered and cause a bigger problem. So the answer is this - clean up the extracellular mercury first with the DMPS for a few months, then start small amounts of cilantro and chlorella. The benefit of using these natural chelators is that they DO go intracellular unlike the DMPS, so this DAN doctor actually likes to use the combination like this to get to both problems (intra and extracellular). Above all, the idea is always to go slow - so as not to pull out other important elements. One that seems to be pulled out most frequently and needs to be replaced is zinc. Because of this, its important to have regular blood counts done to make sure everything stays in balance. He recommends chelating slowly over about a year.

I feel the best thing is to educate yourself on chelation and decide if that is something you want to do with your child. A DAN Dr will be able to help do chelation safely or a naturopath Dr. My son is having IV chelation weekly and is tested each week to see what he pulls out and also the chelation does deplete some good minerals such as zinc (so that is added in the IV).

Some Dr like using suppositories on kids at night (so it doesn't mess up their gut), some like IV, you can also do it orally...

As I had mentioned previously I read ANdrew Hall Cutlers book, Amalgam Illness and it opened my eyes to the immune system - metal toxicity connection.

Also alot of people differ which chelation drug to use and how often to give and how much.

Sarah

This is a great thread. My son's doctor has said from the very beginning that virus and bacteria attach to metals in the body. Aluminum is a huge magnet for strep.

My PANDAS son has tried a few different forms of chelation, under the supervision of different naturopaths and physicians.

We definitely began with getting his body and gut in balance, along with a healthy diet tailored to his needs.

Then we began chelation with DMSA, which made my son much worse (although he did dump large loads of metals). We have since found out, through genetic testing, that he can not tolerate the sulfur in DMSA. We also tried chlorella, but it did not seem to make a dent on his enormous metal burden. We tried clay baths, but it was hard to determine what and how much was coming out. Finally, we have been treating him for over a year now with ETDA powder. We go incredibly slow to avoid messing up his gut. He is slowly and constantly dumping all sorts of metals. We try to do regular urine testing to measure what's leaving his body. We then supplement according to need (ie zinc and essential minerals.... very important to monitor these).

I have a new son, after many years of bio medical interventions.

Sunshine

This is a great thread. My son's doctor has said from the very beginning that virus and bacteria attach to metals in the body. Aluminum is a huge magnet for strep.

My PANDAS son has tried a few different forms of chelation, under the supervision of different naturopaths and physicians.

We definitely began with getting his body and gut in balance, along with a healthy diet tailored to his needs.

Then we began chelation with DMSA, which made my son much worse (although he did dump large loads of metals). We have since found out, through genetic testing, that he can not tolerate the sulfur in DMSA. We also tried chlorella, but it did not seem to make a dent on his enormous metal burden. We tried clay baths, but it was hard to determine what and how much was coming out. Finally, we have been treating him for over a year now with ETDA powder. We go incredibly slow to avoid messing up his gut. He is slowly and constantly dumping all sorts of metals. We try to do regular urine testing to measure what's leaving his body. We then supplement according to need (ie zinc and essential minerals.... very important to monitor these).

I have a new son, after many years of bio medical interventions.

Sunshine

When you say after many years - exactly how many years do you mean? I can't imagine having to go through this for much longer. I did start the DMPS suppositories on her last night and today she was very wacky. squinting & closing her eyes most of the day, smiling to herself - not concentrating again - don't know what to think - if its the metals moving around because of the DMPS or because of the antibiotics she's been on for 3 weeks now - don't know if she has yeast overgrowth - although I'm giving her tons of live probiotics. Or if the PANDAS is just rearing its ugly head again, despite our intervention with the IVIG 3 weeks ago. They say that they can have symptoms for weeks and months afterwards, but I didn't expect a whole day of it to the extent that it was today. She is getting a good MVI which contains zinc - don't know if I should give her additional zinc? When you say enormous metal burden - exactly how much? and where did you have him tested? Was it mostly mercury or which metal? Pat

Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) also crosses the blood brain barrier. It must be dosed every 3 hours (you can do a stretch of 4 hours at night) for 3 days. When we do oral chelation,my son gets his first dose right after school on Friday and gets his last dose Monday morning.

It also supports the liver which is important during chelation.

Chemar,

You say you used ALA as the last step in chelation? Was the first the Chorella? and how long did your son do that? Was that the only two steps that your son did to chelate?

hi bmom

first my son was "prepped" in that he had resonance biofeedback therapy (along with his acupuncture/reflexology) and was also on some specialized Antitox remedies from the naturopath.

then we started chlorella. We were recommended to start at very low dose and then go up, and he took it on alternate days, 3 x week. It was recommended we increase dietary cilantro at that time too, but my son really does not like the taste or the aftertaste so we didnt do much of that. The ALA followed after his test showed his mercury levels were substantially reduced. I honestly dont remember exactly how long we did this but it was a number of months

he continued the biofeedback/acupuncture/reflexology and varied antitox remedies throughout, along with daily epsom baths and a lot of RO water

its believed my sons high mercury came from my many dental fillings and likely leeched when I was carrying him and then nursing

there is a lot more known now on heavy metal chelation, but that is the protocol we followed back then