ACN Latitudes Forums

eye tics

crazy

Hi~

My sons eye tics have reappeared. They went away last time as soon as I started him on Kids Calm. He is still on it but the tics are back 4 months later. They are difficult for him to deal with because everyone asks him why he does the hard blinking. I have a hard time watching him only because I feel so bad that this is happening to my child. I think I have read on these posts that either B6 or taurine may help with eye tics. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi~

My sons eye tics have reappeared. They went away last time as soon as I started him on Kids Calm. He is still on it but the tics are back 4 months later. They are difficult for him to deal with because everyone asks him why he does the hard blinking. I have a hard time watching him only because I feel so bad that this is happening to my child. I think I have read on these posts that either B6 or taurine may help with eye tics. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,

Has he been playing video games or watching TV more than usual? Try eliminating all screen time for about a week. We use Mag Taurine, maybe you can give that instead of the Kid's Calm, because it has magnesium and taurine in one. You can open it up and add it to juice.

Jane

I am dealing with this too right now. During the summer it was not that noticeable, but I feel it is definitely kicking up and looking more pronounced as he winks the one eye and kind of looks to the side. I feel helpless as I send him to school each day knowing he has to deal with doing this all day. I don't kinow what to do either, but I guess I have to make some changes, but I don't really feel we've abused anything more than usual, but perhaps I have to remove altogether the Wii time and absolutely no corn products, which I have given in moderation. I'll let you know if anything seems to help.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated too.

thanks

Faith

I am dealing with this too right now. During the summer it was not that noticeable, but I feel it is definitely kicking up and looking more pronounced as he winks the one eye and kind of looks to the side. I feel helpless as I send him to school each day knowing he has to deal with doing this all day. I don't kinow what to do either, but I guess I have to make some changes, but I don't really feel we've abused anything more than usual, but perhaps I have to remove altogether the Wii time and absolutely no corn products, which I have given in moderation. I'll let you know if anything seems to help.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated too.

thanks

Faith

My sons current tics seem to be brought on by stress. He is very hard on himself and expects perfection. He is a straight A student but has been struggling with math for about 2 week and has a handful of low grades on papers. I have put no pressure on him because he will pull through. He came out of school the other day blinking like mad saying he was stupid because of a math paper he had to correct. I swear the stress of Math brought out his tics. He plays xbox and nintendo DS but we have never noticed it increasing his tics. We took both away yesterday because he was stressed out of the games. I need him to try to relax a bit. I also wonder is his tics may be related to seasonal allergies. Spring and fall here in the midwest can be bad for people with allergies. I don't know if he has them but it seems to be these times that he show the tics.

I went to the natural food store and talked to the owner who reallly seems to know his stuff (doctors in my town consult with him) and he suggested I try B6. I am going to try only 25mg because there is also B6 in his multi.

I hope I can help my son through this because possibly stress brought on the tics, but then he will get stressed because on the tics. He can't seen to win.

Hi~

Hi,

Has he been playing video games or watching TV more than usual? Try eliminating all screen time for about a week. We use Mag Taurine, maybe you can give that instead of the Kid's Calm, because it has magnesium and taurine in one. You can open it up and add it to juice.

Jane

What brand of the Magnesium taurate do you use and what is the dose?

Hi~

Hi,

Jane

What brand of the Magnesium taurate do you use and what is the dose?

We use Magnesium Taurate made by Cardiovascular Research. I have only been able to find it at the Vitamin Shoppe and online.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CV-1206

We are currently doing 250mg in the morning, and 125 at night. In the morning I also give him calcium with it other wise his stool gets runny.

What is in Kid Calm? Is it possible his body has adapted to the ingredient that was helping? Maybe cycling would help (just a guess as I have no idea what the ingredients are but I got the impression from your post that it helped when he started it).

Kids Calm is magnesium, zinc and Vitamin C. It comes in a powder formula that you mix with hot water to drink like tea. It did calm my sons eye tics within the first 4 or 5 days of using it. I was hoping the eye tics would never reappear, but they did.

What is in Kid Calm? Is it possible his body has adapted to the ingredient that was helping? Maybe cycling would help (just a guess as I have no idea what the ingredients are but I got the impression from your post that it helped when he started it).

Kids Calm is magnesium, zinc and Vitamin C. It comes in a powder formula that you mix with hot water to drink like tea. It did calm my sons eye tics within the first 4 or 5 days of using it. I was hoping the eye tics would never reappear, but they did.

If the reduction in tics was actually due to the introduction of Kid Calm, then the only thing I can think of would be to taper off and see if there's a rebound exacerbation of symptoms (if so, then the Kid Calm most likely had an effect but tolerance developed), and then reintroduce Kid Calm after a certain amount of time and see if there's another decrease in tics.

The Vitamin C and zinc, whatever, but the magnesium may have had something to do with it. I've heard anecdotal evidence of magnesium helping eye tics on this forum. I don't know if tolerance is known to build to that substance or not. Actually I don't know anything about it at all!

Good luck tho, be sure to tell us if coming off and then reintroducing it reduced the tics again.

Chemar,

Hi, It's great to hear the success you have had with using the supplements on your son. I have a question for you. You said the Acety-L-carnitine has helped with eye tics. How long did it take for you to see improvements when you used it to help your sons eye tics. I read that you said it help with the eye rolling. My son has bad eye rolling, I'm trying to help his eye rolling. Is their any side effects from using this supplement? Thanks, Char...

glad to see the B6 has helped Char

re your post a few up...my son used L-carnitine *not* acetyl L-carnitine altho I know some people prefer the latter

the carnitine was very effective in helping with both vocal and eye tics for him and he used it for almost a year

however, he later became reactive to it with it making him edgy and spacy and so we eliminated it from his supps

he now takes the P-5-P form of B6 along with various other supps and prefers that to the regular B6