ACN Latitudes Forums

New, need some advice!

Char

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. But I have read many of your posts. It has been so great to read other parents going through the same thing, that I'm going through. I have felt so hopeless and stressed. But knowing I'm not the only parent going through this has helped. I have a 7 year old son with tics, major eye rolling, neck tics and cannot sit still for more then 3 mins at a time. Other wise, he is so sweet, a hard worker at school and we love him so much!! His tics started at 3 and a half after a flu shot I think? He has been on Bonnie Vits for 3 and a half weeks plus NAC and Gaba. This has shown some improvement. But still has major eye rolling. For the last 2 and a half weeks we cut out all MSG, artificials and colorings. Which I think he reacts too. Also I noticed when he drinks orange or grape juice his eyes get even worse. Also we tried gluten and dairy free diet for 3 weeks, he was more calm but tics really didn't improve much. He was on glyconutrients for 9 months, it help a little but not much. Also, ever since he was 3 his lymph nodes in his neck are bigger than usual, we got blood work done, everything was fine. When he watches T.V. he turns his head to both sides and watches like that. Does anyone else's child do that? Also he has Hugh bowels since he was a baby. Can Hugh bowels cause tics? We had allergy testing done and for yeast. We have to wait 2 weeks to get results. AHHH I hate waiting... Anyways sorry for such a long post but if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to here them . Thanks Char....

Char...it seems that for many Taurine was a big help. You can buy it together with magnesium as Taurate. At least I think that is the way it goes. I am sure many will chime on soon, they are very helpful here. Seems to night time when the board lights up. Probably after dinner, baths, and everyone in bed. Hang in there.

This road is difficult I know....we are all here for this reason.

Myrose,

Thanks for the response. I have been using the magnesium Taurate, but it doesn't seem to help his bowels. I am really wondering if this is contributing to his tics. I am trying so many things, I'm starting to get so frustrated. I think one thing is working but then the tics show up again, very frustrating!! I have been reading your posts about your Daughter and the dry blood analysis and what it showed. Good luck, I hope it works out.

My son has done that for 2yrs. I thought it was part of his tics, but I took him to a routine eye exam and found out he sees far in one eye and near in the other. GO FIGURE! Anyway, it took some time in the beginning for him to get over the habit of twisting his head, but after while he was just fine with his glasses. You may want to check out his vision just to rule it out. MOMofJA

JsccMOM,

Hi, Thanks for the response, I have taken him to the eye doctor but the eye doctor said he was fine. I wish it was as simple as just getting him glasses. It's great that glasses have helped your son. How long has your son had tics for?

hi Char,

I hope you find some good info here that helps.

im trying to understand what you are saying regarding his bowels? that his movements are very large?? does his stool appear healthy?

with the eye things and the TV, yes my son does that and to me it looks like a tic because he already has corrective glasses. he just likes doing wierd eye things.

my sons tics pretty much stopped last Feb and i still dont know why. the only thing i did differently was a new and intenstive magnesium ritual. We also did yeast detoxing at that time, i understand you will soon have your yeast results? they should have checked both igG and IgE, past and present reactions to yeast.

we bought straight magnesium in a liquid without any other things in it (we got Floradix magnesium) and i gave it to him first thing in the a.m. before any food or drink. also gave him a dose at night, totalling about 400mg a day. I do not know if this made a difference, for all i know the tics could be back tomorrow, i just dont know, but its food for thought :)

take care!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. But I have read many of your posts. It has been so great to read other parents going through the same thing, that I'm going through. I have felt so hopeless and stressed. But knowing I'm not the only parent going through this has helped. I have a 7 year old son with tics, major eye rolling, neck tics and cannot sit still for more then 3 mins at a time. Other wise, he is so sweet, a hard worker at school and we love him so much!! His tics started at 3 and a half after a flu shot I think? He has been on Bonnie Vits for 3 and a half weeks plus NAC and Gaba. This has shown some improvement. But still has major eye rolling. For the last 2 and a half weeks we cut out all MSG, artificials and colorings. Which I think he reacts too. Also I noticed when he drinks orange or grape juice his eyes get even worse. Also we tried gluten and dairy free diet for 3 weeks, he was more calm but tics really didn't improve much. He was on glyconutrients for 9 months, it help a little but not much. Also, ever since he was 3 his lymph nodes in his neck are bigger than usual, we got blood work done, everything was fine. When he watches T.V. he turns his head to both sides and watches like that. Does anyone else's child do that? Also he has Hugh bowels since he was a baby. Can Hugh bowels cause tics? We had allergy testing done and for yeast. We have to wait 2 weeks to get results. AHHH I hate waiting... Anyways sorry for such a long post but if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to here them . Thanks Char....

thanks Pat! i think i would be more enthusiastic if it werent for all the other issues that are more severe than the tics were. and he still has some vocal and some touching issues, not sure if those are tics, but the daily tics like head nodding, body shaking, "yes", etc have not returned. Then again i am not sure if i believe he even has Tourettes, although thats his Dx, i guess ill know if and when those tics return. im not sure how long tics can be gone before its not Tourettes any more, ive read anywhere from a few weeks to a year. its been the first major break of tics since he was 5 (he is 9 now). thanks for your well wishes!

airbucket,

it is so good to know your son's tic almost stop. Enjoy this time!

Pat

Air bucket,

Hi, Thanks for the response. I have a few questions for you. Does your son still watch TV like that and does he do it when his glasses are off. My son has glasses and he does it way more with his glasses off so I don't know what to think. My son bowels look healthy but there are big and big in volume. A Lot of the time it plugs are toilet. I really don't know what to think about it. You said you did a yeast detox, what did you do? And can yeast make bowels bigger? Sorry for so many questions but I'm just trying to figure things out. Thanks Char...

hi Char,

my son does not do this all the time. when he does it on occassion. maybe it does have to do with vision. after all there is a difference for you with the glasses on or off, and there are many eye conditons which cause unusual eye movements and eye use. Of course i also wonder if it couldnt be a sensory issue or just a tic.

does your son eat a LOT? have you asked the pediatrician about it? i have no idea if yeast could bloat stools, or if something could in general? The yeast detox we did was because we got blood test results that showed a high allergy to yeasts/candida. However, the tests looks for 2 things, current allergic response and past, and when the ped. saw the results he said that theres no way my son has a current yeast overload, he did at one point but the elevated results were in the past testing. i hope that makes sense. anyhow, we did a yeast free diet for about 3 months and took a supplement (an herb) to kill some yeast, then when the pediatrician told us that, i stopped the special diet and we went back to normal consumption of yeast and dairy. the detox itself is supposed to be like a withdrawl almost and tics are supposed to increase and symptoms in general. my son did have a tic flare but i cant say for sure that it was the yeast detox.

i wish i could be more helpful, there are people on here who would know a lot more than me. ask as many questions as you need to, youll never know what you could find out. good luck.

Air bucket,

Hi, Thanks for the response. I have a few questions for you. Does your son still watch TV like that and does he do it when his glasses are off. My son has glasses and he does it way more with his glasses off so I don't know what to think. My son bowels look healthy but there are big and big in volume. A Lot of the time it plugs are toilet. I really don't know what to think about it. You said you did a yeast detox, what did you do? And can yeast make bowels bigger? Sorry for so many questions but I'm just trying to figure things out. Thanks Char...

Hi Char

yes, Candida albicans aka "yeast infection" in the gut can cause digestive changes like that. Bloating and gas also often accompany it

The Yeast Syndrome by walker & trowbridge is an excellent book on symptoms and treamtent of candida as well as great recipes for a yeast buster diet too

To answer you from earlier....he has had TS for 2yrs. now. I am only just now taking him to a neurologist to get an "official diagnosis. I have to take him off his diet though to let the Dr. see all his symptoms. I'm really dreading that. His grades will suffer, I know, because it will take a good 2-3wks. to get back to his normal. I have self-diagnosed him and never had a reason to take him to a neurologist. I knew they would offer no help as to the actual cause. They only offer help with meds when it's out of control.

We've controlled it quite well with diet but over the last 9mos., a few of his mild tics have surfaced and are getting stronger. I am planning to take him to an environmental physician and then to get a dry blood test. I really need the diagnosis though because we may possibly qualify for some federal or state $. I know that sounds awful, but we can't afford to feed him like he needs to right now and it could really help.

My son has had problems smearing in his underwear all his life. All his Dr.s have only ever said is " He's just constipated". The only thing that has helped him so far is a once/mo. enema. I want to know if anyone knows of a natural remedy to help???? Fiber only helps slightly. Also, my daughter has had a similar problem. Only she goes about 3-4 times/mo. When she does go....OUCH! The size would make a grown man cry! Oh, that's right.....she gets it honest from Daddy. Yep! He has stopped up toilets ever since he was born. We could use any info on this subject!!!

To answer you from earlier....he has had TS for 2yrs. now. I am only just now taking him to a neurologist to get an "official diagnosis. I have to take him off his diet though to let the Dr. see all his symptoms. I'm really dreading that. His grades will suffer, I know, because it will take a good 2-3wks. to get back to his normal. I have self-diagnosed him and never had a reason to take him to a neurologist. I knew they would offer no help as to the actual cause. They only offer help with meds when it's out of control.

We've controlled it quite well with diet but over the last 9mos., a few of his mild tics have surfaced and are getting stronger. I am planning to take him to an environmental physician and then to get a dry blood test. I really need the diagnosis though because we may possibly qualify for some federal or state $. I know that sounds awful, but we can't afford to feed him like he needs to right now and it could really help.

My son has had problems smearing in his underwear all his life. All his Dr.s have only ever said is " He's just constipated". The only thing that has helped him so far is a once/mo. enema. I want to know if anyone knows of a natural remedy to help???? Fiber only helps slightly. Also, my daughter has had a similar problem. Only she goes about 3-4 times/mo. When she does go....OUCH! The size would make a grown man cry! Oh, that's right.....she gets it honest from Daddy. Yep! He has stopped up toilets ever since he was born. We could use any info on this subject!!!