ACN Latitudes Forums

Headaches

My dd gets headaches about once per week and they don't last very long. But she never had them before all this. I don't have to give her anything for the headache, because it always seems that it is gone pretty quickly after she first tells me about it.

Childhood headache can be a sign of depression. Parents should alert the family pediatrician if a child develops headaches along with other symptoms such as a change in mood or sleep habits.

Chemical culprits. Repeated exposure to nitrite compounds can result in a dull, pounding headache that may be accompanied by a flushed face. Nitrite, which dilates blood vessels, is found in such products as heart medicine and dynamite, but is also used as a chemical to preserve meat. Hot dogs and other processed meats containing sodium nitrite can cause headaches.

Eating foods prepared with monosodium glutamate (MSG) can result in headache. Soy sauce, meat tenderizer, and a variety of packaged foods contain this chemical which is touted as a flavor enhancer.

Headache can also result from exposure to poisons, even common household varieties like insecticides, carbon tetrachloride, and lead. Children who ingest flakes of lead paint may develop headaches. So may anyone who has contact with lead batteries or lead-glazed pottery.

Artists and industrial workers may experience headaches after exposure to materials that contain chemical solvents. These solvents, like benzene, are found in turpentine, spray adhesives, rubber cement, and inks.

Drugs such as amphetamines can cause headaches as a side effect. Another type of drug-related headache occurs during withdrawal from long-term therapy with the antimigraine drug ergotamine tartrate.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headach...il_headache.htm

My son very frequently complains of headaches. I was wondering if other PANDAS kids experience this. Is it OCD or does he really feel pain? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate it without offering Tylenol every day?

Thanks.

My son complains about headache once a while but it doesn't last long.

Yes, that's a definite symptom for my daughter. The headache and recurring stomachache. The headache doesn't last long, nor does it seem to be that bad. However, she frequently has mentioned it. But, it seems the stomach issue is the more recurrent theme. Does your child get that as well?

My son very frequently complains of headaches. I was wondering if other PANDAS kids experience this. Is it OCD or does he really feel pain? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate it without offering Tylenol every day?

Thanks.

Our son was initially diagnosed with acute rheumatic fever with Sydenham's chorea, and his original symptoms fit the ARF / SC pattern better than classic PANDAS. At that time, he complained of a headache almost constantly for many months. With his latest relapse (with symptoms that are much more classic PANDAS: OCD, separation anxiety, anorexia, etc.), he hasn't complained of headaches as much.

Very confusing illness, isn't it?

Our son was initially diagnosed with acute rheumatic fever with Sydenham's chorea, and his original symptoms fit the ARF / SC pattern better than classic PANDAS. At that time, he complained of a headache almost constantly for many months. With his latest relapse (with symptoms that are much more classic PANDAS: OCD, separation anxiety, anorexia, etc.), he hasn't complained of headaches as much.

Very confusing illness, isn't it?

When my daughter is having a PANDAS episode, she complains frequently of both headaches and stomach aches.

Our dd also had frequent headaches during the PANDAS episodes. We ended up asking her one day whether her head hurt and she replied "almost all the time". We asked her why she didn't tell us and she said, "you never asked." Sigh.

We tried some advil to relieve pain and that helped a lot. She could then sleep. We then told her to tell us if she had other headaches.

She also seemed to have occular migraines (saw odd shapes). This is more likely due to malnutrition during the time but could also be linked with the headaches.

Buster

Buster,

I have a ds age 7 who I believe to be PANDAS. With every episode, [and sometimes with no symptoms] he has awoken at 4am saying he is seeing round colored lights. He had no headache, though. We just went to the neuro thinking it was seizures, but he said he had no explanation for it. This has happened since his first episode at age 3. He sees these things floating in his room and he is awake with his eyes open. it is frightening to him.

rgcamom

Buster,

I have a ds age 7 who I believe to be PANDAS. With every episode, [and sometimes with no symptoms] he has awoken at 4am saying he is seeing round colored lights. He had no headache, though. We just went to the neuro thinking it was seizures, but he said he had no explanation for it. This has happened since his first episode at age 3. He sees these things floating in his room and he is awake with his eyes open. it is frightening to him.

rgcamom

My son came back from school today and had complained about stomach ache along with headache. this is his 3rd epsode of panda since last march. Wonder when thee will be cure.

Yes, that's a definite symptom for my daughter. The headache and recurring stomachache. The headache doesn't last long, nor does it seem to be that bad. However, she frequently has mentioned it. But, it seems the stomach issue is the more recurrent theme. Does your child get that as well

He does complain of stomach ache as well. Although, for my son, the headaches are the more recurrent complaint. He does not want tylenol - he says it doesn't help.

• 4 weeks later...

DS8, whom we are starting to think has PANDAS as well, has had a low grade headache for the last 3 months but also frequently complains of stomachache at bedtime. Symtpoms clear up partially with strep treatment but never completely. Symptoms are worst at bedtime and also include dizziness and sensation of "heaviness".

He has had a sinus xray and brain MRI to rule out any other conditions, as well as glasses for soemwhat imperfect vision...they can't turn up any other problems.

natterbus

DS8, whom we are starting to think has PANDAS as well, has had a low grade headache for the last 3 months but also frequently complains of stomachache at bedtime. Symtpoms clear up partially with strep treatment but never completely. Symptoms are worst at bedtime and also include dizziness and sensation of "heaviness".

He has had a sinus xray and brain MRI to rule out any other conditions, as well as glasses for soemwhat imperfect vision...they can't turn up any other problems.

natterbus

Do they respond to Ibuprofen? Also, did the docs recommend anything for them? Poor guy, it must be awful to have all those headaches!

Also, do you think you can convince a doc to write you a longer term rx for abs such as Azithromycin (1-3mo)? See if that really clears up headaches and effect on behavior?