ACN Latitudes Forums

Food Allergies

Claire

Chemar,

That is WONDERFUL to hear--and incredibly encouraging.

By the way, I am reading D. Rapp's book "Is this your child's world" where she discusses provocative and neutralization. Is this what your homeopath did for your son? I get confused on homeopaths and environmental medicine doctors, as I mention on another thread. I really do want to pursue the food sensitivity and supplement angle, given that he has other issues such as excema and his version of photosensitivity that even the Irlen tester picked up on withouth flicker (but again none of the distortion issues).

Do you think that after using 5HTP regularly, one would also have to wean them off--ie could there be a bounce effect? I keep waiting on this until I find a doctor--I have time during the holidays to search for one, but no one is around!

Finally, I read on the herb link you gave that St. John's Wort can cause photosensitivity--given Taylor's photosensitivity anyway (and cataract problems with both Grandmothers), I don't think he is a candidate for it unfortunately.

http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000919

"Finally, a report suggests that regular use of St. John's wort might also increase the risk of sun-induced cataracts.50 While this is preliminary information, it may make sense to wear sunglasses when outdoors if you are taking this herb on a long-term basis."

Claire

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all !

Nancy

I use the TwinLab brand of Inositol at 500mg per day (it also contains VitB6)

My son does not react well to no-flush Niacin or any other additional Niacin other than that in his multi, so i avoid it.

Niacin is Vit B3 while Inositol is Vit B8

Claire

I do think that after long term 5HTP use, one should taper off to gradually reduce the elevated seratonin.

and Yes, SJW does cause increased photsensitivity, especially to sunlight...

however, it is an unlikely side effect at the minimal dose that my son takes, and he has not yet noticed any effects after 2 years of daily use.

I have always encouraged my children to wear sunglasses or peaked caps when in the outdoors.

I have forgotten how old your son is Claire?

Just as a point of interest, I am beginning to hear from friends about mainstream docs who are approving 5HTP for anxiety, depression and OCD for their patients.

Very encouraging!

Chemar

That is very encouraging about the 5HTP and mainstream doctors! I want to stabilize the additional fatty acids and B's I have started giving him (including riboflavin for light sensitivity and inositol, plus the other B's. Odd, it has some B6, and there is no zinc in the B complex to help with the B6 that FJ mentions. I will go from there.

We have been remodeling inside our home since July, and after reading some of D. Rapp's book, I am concerned about all the things such as dust floating around our house (I sure notice it). His strong reaction to what I assume was our relative's carpeting (or possible mold?) last week (on another post I noted that he slept on the floor there) brought home the impact of his environment. We will get low-odor paint, and I would move out during the painting.

My son is 10 and weighs 80 pounds. I wasn't worried about the photosensitivity for most children--it is just that my son is already photosensitive. Oddly, he doesn't wear sunglasses around his friends, just when he is with me. St. John's Wort sounds like a great fit for those times when he needs it.

Claire