ACN Latitudes Forums

Somethings I just thought of

guy123

(both of these theories assume dopamine issues are the cause of tics)

1. I remember before my tic started when I was 17, I went through a pretty rough 3-4 month period depression. Is it possible that I was so depressed that it altered the serotonin in my brain and that physically changed the dopamine receptors and/or production thus causing the onset of my tic?

2. (this one is even more of a stretch). I was a SUPER happy child. I look back on my childhood with longing sentiment because I remember every day being fun. When I was in middle school/high school (and full of teenage angst), my parents told me that I "was such a happy child" and I "always used to smile." Do you think maybe I had extra high dopamine levels as a kid (therefore making me super happy) that it burned out my dopamine receptors by the time I was 17 thus manifesting in tics? Or maybe production was fine but there was an issue with reuptake and so I had too much dopamine floating around in my brain and so that is what burned out the receptors? (I'm pretty sure that's not possible due to the fact that neither dopamine agonists nor dopamine reuptake inhibitors have euphoria as a side effect... but you kinda gotta wonder, right, as both of those classes of medication an increase tics or bring about tics in people who have that potential. Or looking at it another way, people with tic disorders should never use cocaine)

First one... I'm about 75% serious in wondering that.

Second one... I asked my mom that as a joke and she laughed. Still tho I'm kind of curious.

Will a PET scan check all that stuff? Like to see if you have too much or too little of something, and how your production/reuptake is functioning?