ACN Latitudes Forums

Pandas, Tics, Tourettes

Like BMom, we have done much. Beside antibiotics, we use xylitol (nose sprays, toothpastes, gums, mouthwashes, etc.), coconut (in various forms), higher doses of Vit C, as well as multi vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, and also extra B vits., magnesium and zinc, and also taurine, in the attempt to ward off strep and any other illness for that matter. (we also do Epsom salt baths)

I haven't done any research on Group B strep...I have been focusing on Group A this last year because that is the type of strep that causes strep throat, which my kids had. (perhaps I should look into group B as well???)

I had concerns about dysbiosis, and although I am aware of the potential for it, and the potential for leaky gut and all the problems it can cause....I had testing done on my son, and he seems to have no gastro problems at this point. (he had occasional constipation before Feingold) We even had a barium swallow done on him to check for any abnormalities in his digestive track. Everything was normal. Oh, he was also allergy tested and tested for Celiac. We tried diet eliminations, and we did find my younger son has a sensitivity to a handful of salicylayes. He gets flamimg red ears, behaviors, mild tics when he eats the offending foods. This sensitivity waxes and wanes along with his PANDAS. It is much more pronounced when he is in episode from strep or sick. He takes No-phenol when needed.....it allows him to enjoy these foods when necessary. (like, pizza at a party, for example...big trouble with tomatoes) So, yes....I believe some PANDAS kids can develop food issues that can make symptoms worse and be helped by diet. No doubt. (older son has no food issues)

I do not believe I can be doing anything more for my kids at this point. I am doing everything I can to prevent future strep outbreaks...if you have any ideas...I am way open for them!!! How else can I prevent strep? (short of keeping them home all the time)

We have ran numerous tests.....from testing their immune systems in general (they both have strong immune systems..no defiencies), to allergy testing, diets, etc., and have implemented supplements......we have done mold interventions, Feingold, you name it. They have had extensive blood work, liver checked, etc. I am sure I am forgetting some things. My kids were not on prophylactic antibiotics until almost 3 years after PANDAS for younger son, and 4 months for older son. During this time...all these other interventions were implemented....nothing made a significant difference until the antibiotics were started prophylactically...they have been stable since with no major increases...they each had two major increases due to strep before the prophylactics. We have found no underlining causes to lower immunity...as stated..both my sons were found to have strong immune systems and do not suffer from frequent infections of any sort. My older son has never even had an ear infection..younger son had one...both kids have only had strep twice...they are 6 and 9...that is about it as far as illness except for the typical stuff...colds, etc. (and not even much of them)

Yes, we do practice natural remedies...supplements to Feingold...I believe it is a combination of antibiotics and the natural supplements along with the dietary interventions that have helped my kids to be doing so well today.

If you feel I am missing something that I could be doing to better help my kids...I am SERIOUSLY open to it!!

Kelly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic