ACN Latitudes Forums

IRON

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar,

I read in a website http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000607

We recommend that you use an iron-free multivitamin and mineral supplement unless you have been tested and found to be deficient in iron.

can you please explain to me why? Since the general pure multivit that I give my son has 5 mg iron and hence I was wondering..

Also , have you come across Dead Sea Salt Bath. Heard its very good for nervousness. Is it the same as Epsom salth bath, any idea. What is the normal cost of 1 kg of Epsom salt?

Hi efgh

I have heard a lot of good reprots about the Dead Sea salt and mud products.

Epsom Salts is very inexpensive. I buy it in cartons for just a few dollars. (cheapest at WalMart)

Iron supplementation is problematic sometimes when it is given to individuals who dont need it. I know that it is generally recommended to stay away from iron supplements unless there is a diagnosed iron deficiency We get quite sufficient iron in a healthy diet of poultry/beef and green leafy vegetables.

I only use iron free multivits for our whole family. 5mg for a child sounds VERY high to me!

here is the blurb on iron at iHerb

http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000458

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar , thanks for your quick reply (AS USUAL PROMPT AND INFORMATIVE!)

As I mentioned to you in my first thread (tips please) this is the multivit details which I have been giving my son.. I sent these details to you a couple of weeks back. pasting it again.

Multivitamin details.

Vitamin A 2500 I.E. Biotin 0.1 mg Iron 5 mg

Vitamin D3 133 I.E. PABA 10 mg Zinc 5 mg

Vitamin E 13.4 I.E. Cholin 83.4 mg Mangan 1.67 mg

Vitamin B1 0.67 mg Inositol 83.4 mg Copper 0.67 mg

Vitamin B2 0.67 mg Vitamin C 83.4 mg Chrom 67 µg

Vitamin B6 1 mg Rutin 66.7 mg Iod 50 µg

Vitamin B12 3 µg Calcium 83.4 mg Molybdan 34 µg

Niacinamid 6.67 mg Magnesium 66.7 mg Selen 6.7 µg

Folic acid 0.134 mg Phosphor 83.4 mg Calciumpantothenat 5 mg

I give half a tablet per day. But still was worried about the iron content. Anyway, he does not take non vegetarian food (no fish, meat etc). So, I guess its ok. Its supposed to be a good general multivit. half a tablet means he will get 2.5 mg iron, right?? the instructions in the bottle says half a tablet is recommended for kids between age 7 and 13. would wait for your input on this.

I am paying 15 dollars per kg for the epsom salt. Dead sea salt is much cheaper and hence I was asking you if I can subsititute this.

Hi again

efgh....I REALLY do want to recommend again that you try to find a doctor who is clued up about supplemnts and alternative treatments.........although most "natural" products are safe...still, and ESPECIALLY with a child, I personally feel that it is important to treat under the guidance of a physician.....ideally someone medically qualified or at least someone with qualified knowledge.

Although you will always get great info here from people's own experience and research etc etc......still.....it does not compare with first checking this info or ingredients etc with someone qualified......perhaps even email Dr Rogers here if you are not sure about something...her broad knowledge and experience and qualifications are truly impressive!

Many of us here love to try to be helpful, but we are (for the most part) not qualified to do anything other than to share our personal experiences or info that we have learned.....and often, especially when there are many different threads running...we arent necessarily giving the kind of detailed attention to specific things that a physician or qualified person would......for example, in glancing thru your multivit ingredients...I spotted herbs etc that I questioned, but did not even notice the Iron on top...because I wasnt specifically looking for it :)

So, you can see why it is good to seek info here....but then even better to check everything with someone qualified to make recommendations for your child's specific requirements.

I really do have to commend you.......you are so very diligent in seeking out info and finding so much ......your child really is blessed to have a parent so determined to find the right course to follow! :)

I am surprised that the Epsom Salts is pricey where you are! Are you looking at a pharmacy? cos their prices are always silly! I would try a supermarket or discount store and compare price there.

Hope you have a happy day.....

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar

thanks for your kind reply. I am in touch with our family physician. Am in the look out for a good alternative physician with knowledge in supplements, etc. Went to the homeopath but realised that he does not have good experience with regard to supplements, etc.

Despite all this, I would like to tell you that the knowledge a novice gains from this forum is beyond words. I firmly believe that knowledge is power and with some kind people like YOU ALL who are so active, knowledgeable and helfpul in the forum it helps a lot to even discuss with the doctor. That way, I can be geared up to discuss on the various aspects with the doctor too.

Thanks again for all your help, sharing your knowledge, time , expertise etc. I always believe that experience is the best teacher.

I have come to understand that the TS parents have a unique bond and that is what gives each one of us the liberty to clear our doubts with the rest.

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar/Jennifer

Can you please tell me with your experience, which test would be useful to find out the vitamin/mineral deficiencies. That is, if I want to find out if my child is deficient in Vitamin B 12 or B6 or B1 or in Magnesium , what is the approach that I can start off with? Will the hair analysis test give this info.

Rather than blindly putting the kids on some random supplements, I thought it would be more logical to give the right quantity of the right supplement depending on the individual's deficiencies.

thanks.