ACN Latitudes Forums

What just happened?

trubiano

Michele, If one wanted to see if the effect was from the caffeine alone, you could try "no doz". I believe it just has caffeine (200mg/pill) although there may be dyes/inactive ingredients. 1 no doz pill is 200mg. According to one website, diet pepsi max has 46mg of caffeine per 8oz (so a 12 oz can has 69mg)...so you could try 1/4 of a no doz (50mg) or maybe even 1/2 no doz (if your child is larger could normally handle the caffeine in more than 1 can of soda).

Of course, if your child has never had caffeine in any form...you take the risk that you might have a bad reaction from caffeine. However, I think many kids have had an occasional caffeinated soda in their lives, even if they don't drink it on a regular basis.

The hyper issue is a concern...I wouldn't try it at night!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't understand how 50mg of caffeine from a pill is worse than 50mg of caffeine from tea (or soda)?

One problem with tea (at least to test whether it was caffeine that was helping) is that the amount of caffeine in a cup of tea would probably vary depending on the brand and type of tea, how long you let the tea steep for, country of origin etc. It would be hard to know exactly how much caffeine one was actually getting...

I'll clarify:

What I meant to say is that when caffeine is consumed in tea, you are consuming the caffeine AND whatever else nature put into the tea leaf, an element of which may be intended to balance the caffeine. If you are creating caffeine in a lab or, as you have pointed out, simply removing the caffeine from a natural source and putting it in water or in a pill, there is no balance.

I suppose then you could try that vitamin water energy stuff which has "natural" caffeine.

some of that stuff, at least the Propel brand, has sucralose aka splenda which is linked to a lot of health issues and definitely a tic trigger for my son

www.mercola.com has a lot about sucralose/splenda dangers

Dr Weil has loads of info re the health benefits of tea.

I am not sure why the amount matters. A cup of tea will either help or not

as mentioned before, my son finds strong black tea very soothing when he is anxious. He drinks 2 cups green tea each day

I drink about 3 cups black tea myself daily and another 3-4 cups green tea and I know it helps soothe my mood too. I dont dare have coffee tho as it wires me and does same for my son.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! All of you have given me such great information. Pepsi Max is a diet drink, so it is not something my son will get again. I would prefer to give him sugar before all the chemicals. I have ordered some ginseng tea from iherb and hope it will give him the same effect as the Pepsi Max did. I am leary on the caffeine pills, but I will take him to Starbucks and let him have a "treat" while I watch his actions. I was given some info on another child that high caffeine soda helped their ADHD due to the caffeine, so I wonder if that was my magic pill? I'll keep you all informed as I try out all my new found advice. I love you all!

Hi faith

yes, caffeine is considered a tic trigger. I posted a bit above as to why it is often difficult to find balance between some things that help mood while remembering that they may yet be tic triggers

green tea has very low caffeine

thanks Pmom for clearing up re the "vitamin" water and glad to hear it is all natural. the only ones I had seen were those propel with sucralose