ACN Latitudes Forums

supplements to help with mood...

Calicat

This part of my question got lost in all the other things I was saying in my other post.

People speak of giving certain supplements to help with mood. Which one(s) do you recommend as a starting point, and do you think if her mood is "improved" that she will, in turn, be happy to comply more? Has anyone seen stubborness/stuckness reduce on any particular supplement? Thanks!

Hi Calicat,

I can't remember if you said your dd can not tolerate fish oil, but I have read that is suppose to help with mood. I think it has helped my 2 girls, but they don't have TS.

I would also think anything that boosts sarotonin (the feel good transmitter) would work too.

CP

Back when tics, ocd ect were effecting the whole household I decided to try SamE with my daughter. Its the most expensive but the report of faster acting caught my eye. I always tried ANY supplement on myself before giving to my daughter. I just wanted to see how I felt on it.

After taking SAmE for approximately 1 week.....Things did not bother me as much and I did seem a bit calmer but all I did was sit. I had no enery or enthusium for anything! Not sure why this happened. I did not even get my housework done that week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I chose not to give it to my daughter after that. Just reporting on my reaction...and of course mine only....

This part of my question got lost in all the other things I was saying in my other post.

People speak of giving certain supplements to help with mood. Which one(s) do you recommend as a starting point, and do you think if her mood is "improved" that she will, in turn, be happy to comply more? Has anyone seen stubborness/stuckness reduce on any particular supplement? Thanks!

Methionine or GABA may help

samE is expensive. my son prefers plain methionine

he used to take 5HTP but now it makes him edgy, as does the l-tryptophan

he is finding that P-5-P plus vitB12 plus high dose Inositol are having a very positive effect on his mood/OCD/anxiety

Hi CP

bear in mind he is almost 19yo so takes adult dose based on age/weight

he currently takes 12 grams inositol daily divided into 4 x 3gm servings

2000 MICROgrams (mcg) B12 as 1000mcg 2x day,

50 mg P-5-P per day divided into 2 x 25mg servings

he also has around 500mg methionine each day

when OCD flares he ups his inositol to 16 grams per day

I forgot to say the B12 HAS to be methylcobalamin! the cyano form does NOT work the same for him and apparantly is poorly absorbed