ACN Latitudes Forums

raw milk

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer and Claire

Reg. raw milk read Jennifer and Claire's posts. My friend actually buys fresh farm raw cow's milk. She boils the same (FULL BOIL) and gives it to her kids. She says that people with milk allergies etc do much better when done this way...

Jennifer, when you said raw milk, did you mean that you take it WITHOUT boiling? How does the above method of boiling it in the house fresh then and there sound?

Claire, that way, we are also avoiding the possible bacterial infections, etc.. your tips on this..

efgh,

There you go, what a great idea! If the issue is how they pasteurize the milk (vs loss of vitamins from heating), this should solve the problem!

I wish I had found this site when my son was 8. He is unusually tied to certain food tastes. If I do this, it would need to be very gradual.

Of course we are waiting for the RAST blood test on allergies to milk, peanuts, wheat, and eggs for his excema. I really hope he doesn't have them--what a hassle.

By the way, have you seen any improvement in your child since you started all of this?

Gloria

Guest Guest_efgh

Claire

I had eliminated dairy for around 3 weeks for my child. I did not see any improvement = rather I noticed he was more irritable may be due to lack of calcium... I have brought milk back into his diet since three days and he seems less irritable.

We had done skin testing for his allergies sometime ago for his asthma and it was proven in the allergy report that he was allergic to milk/peanuts/citrus. I read somewhere that though the child is allergic, its good to start with small doses so that the allergy goes off slowly and the immunity builds up and it was pretty much true in my son's case with regard to his asthma. Now his asthma is very much under control despite daily milk and sometimes citrus. And more over these tests are not 100 percent accurate. one more thing - food allergies /sensitivities keep changing for children. so, you cannot take it as a RULE and go STRICTLY by it , that is my opinion. Its just a pointer and probably YOU NEED NOT give it in large quantities. Since there is no assurance that removing them is really going to help their tics, if the elimination does not much help, its sensible to atleast give them an overall healthy natural diet. Reg. artificial colours, junk etc I agree since any way, its of not much use to the overall health and its wise to totally avoid them if possible but not the natural healthy stuff unless we are SURE.

hope I have made myself clear.

efgh/all

efgh Nice input on allergies--that makes sense that they would shift--I will keep that in mind.

I didn't know they could do skin tests for foods? My allergist doesn't--but he is an ENT (ear nose throat) doctor. So we did the RAST test, as you know.

As for the artificial stuff--easy to cut out when you have stores like Whole Foods that do all the legwork to only put 'safe' products on the shelf. The tough part is events (basketball games, school gingerbread houses...) where the child doesn't want to feel different.

By the way, all, I head out Monday am for vacation, I will check in before I go, but so I don't forget: Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/Happy Holidays to you all!!

Claire

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

I personally do not boil our milk. I'm not sure how long you would have to boil it if you were afraid of e-coli. Allthough that sounds like a good idea as a precautinary measure.

I know that the lady we buy ours from uses milking cans that are completely enclosed. The hoses for the pump go directly into the can so there is no chance of any comtamination. Then she brings the cans in and pours the milk into sterile glass gallon jars that I provide her with. The cows have also been vaccinated so we don't have to worry about certain bacterial problems that arise from unvaccinated cows. As far as mastitis goes, as long as a cow is always milked when it should be the chances of that are pretty slim.

Jennifer

• 2 months later...