ACN Latitudes Forums

HCL and its connection to bacterial infections

Caryn

Low stomach acid is called Hypochlorhydria. It basically means the stomach does not produce adequate hydrochloric acid for digestion. Now I am by no means an expert on this, so take the following for what it is worth--- a novice just reading on the subject before deciding if ds should be checked out and treated for it.

I became interested in the subject after seeing Suzanne Summers on T.V. plugging her new book. My dh turned to me and said, hm... wonder if this has something to do with our ds's digestive issues?

So I have only really just begun the research and have no definitive opinion on it. Our son has never been tested for stomach acid and we have never attempted to treat him for this and I am not sure I will. Just learning about the subject right now..... But I like what I am learning, I will tell you that.

Anyway, the theory is that low stomach acid prohibits the digestion of proteins and causes multiple food allergies and the proliferation of bacterial infections time and time again. The removal of hard to digest foods, in our case, has diminished our son's reoccurring infections. (Prior to the diet change he had reoccurring croup, ear infections, colds, flus, periods of vomiting illnesses and diarrhea.) It has also diminished the tics to the point that they are a non-issue. We do keep a strict diet and only see flare ups when he gets accidental ingestion (like HFCS) or when he is under tremendous stress. Our son had no tics all summer long and developed an eye blinking tic after he was given three freeze pops in the first two days of school. The ticcing became chronic, disturbed his eating and sleeping patterns, and lasted nearly two weeks. Prior to the diet change he had 6 or 7 tics that occurred on any given day and they happened constantly during the waking hours. He also had vocals, like a sniffing tic. He had sleeve pushing and other complex tics. We've been on the diet, strictly, for over a year and have not seen a wax on since. The diet is tough, but our son is very used to it now and doesn't try to cheat. It is inconvenient, though. So you can see why a hydrochloric acid supplement seems promising to us, but I am not sure it would make a difference or allow our son to eat a wider fare. Just reading about it right now.

The topic of hypochlorhydria seems to be quite popular among alternative health sites. I am not against alternative medicine by any means, however, I always like to look at medical studies as well because I like to see controlled scientific studies before I buy into something.

I found a lot of information from the Townsend Letters for doctors.

Here is an excerpt that explains the role of low stomach acid in cases of asthma. I chose this excerpt because it talks about inflammation. There are also other excerpts that talk about metal toxicity, etc.... It touches on autism as well. Interesting read--

Asthma. Hypochlorhydria causes leaky gut syndrome (See Small Intestine) resulting in allergies and food sensitivities from xenobiotics (foreign chemicals) and antigens entering the bloodstream. White cells in the bronchi secrete histamine resulting in bronchial contraction. [2]Lack of essential nutrients from impaired digestion and metabolism causes chronic inflammation and also a deficiency of secretory IgA. IgA is an important defense for our mucous membranes from bacteria, food residue, fungus, parasites and virus. [10] University of Virginia researchers discovered that people experiencing an acute asthma attack have substantially more acidic breath than healthy people. Acidity in the lungs causes bronchospasm and damages the lining of the airways. [53] Johns Hopkins Medical Center found that when asthmatics take a deep breath while exercising or because of allergens or airborne irritants, their lungs contract instead of relaxing, (possibly indicating a magnesium deficiency [30]. In 1931 Dr. G.W Bray disc overed 80% of the 200 asthmatic children he analyzed had below normal gastric acid metabolism.

The article talks about pyroluria, schizophrenia, and others. The article states that:

A diet that is high in raw, unsprouted legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds and even wheat germ, could lower gastric activity because these foods contain enzyme inhibitors that cause severe indigestion, [74]resulting in the loss of the nutrients needed to make stomach acid. Phytic acid is present in the bran or hulls of all seeds. Calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and especially zinc, bind with this fiber compound to form insoluble phytate complexes. [20,75] Healthy levels of these minerals in their liquid crystalloid electrolyte form are needed for the production of HCl. The aforementioned foods are rich in copper and so this may cause higher copper levels, which would result in even lower zinc levels. [15,20]

This may be why we've seen improvement on a low grain diet. Here's more:

This diminishing capacity to produce stomach acid, progressively worsens the patient's condition because low stomach acidity alone causes autointoxification from the toxic byproducts of its accompanying imbalances, infections and improperly digested food (especially proteins [80]). Thus, hypochlorhydria prevents the assimilation of the nutrients needed for detoxification and repair. The natural detoxification pathways (intestines, liver, kidneys, skin, lungs, and lymphatic system) are polluted, congested, overburdened and even damaged. [16] Moreover, the slightest additional chemical exposure creates an allergic reaction which depletes the deficient (and also overburdened) immune system of even more nutrients. [80]

In addition, low stomach acidity causes a greater permeability of the blood-brain barrier because of high histamine and low iron and oxygen levels, which result in excess Nitric Oxide (NO) in the bloodstream. (NO is a powerful free radical capable of destroying neurons. [17b])

So that is why I have such a keen interest in HCL. Some natural remedy sites claim it is 'better' than antibiotics for autoimmune disorders. I won't believe that without proof, so I keep digging. But it is interesting. I would love to find out how one would stimulate the body to make more acid naturally. From what I've read buying the supp in the health food store w/o adequate testing could be pretty dangerous. You need to know for sure the person has low acid. Can't rely on an internet self-test, so I am reading and thinking about it. Makes sense to me. The more bacteria or yeast in the gut the less acid gets produced. It's a vicious cycle. H-pylori seems to have a strong connection to low HCL from what I'm reading.

Sorry so long.

Yes,

There are a lot of self-help treatments like apple cider vinegar available. I guess I am just looking for a definitive, you know? We could assume this is a problem and use a home remedy for treatment and think that it is working, or not-- But this would always keep me wondering.

There is a test that is available for measuring the stomach's ability to produce acid. It involves a radio transmitter and swallowing a pill on a string. The administrator then pulls the pill back out through the mouth after I think 20 minutes. Somehow can't picture Tigger doing that one, LOL.

There is another that doesn't involve the string and the capsule is allowed to pass completely through the system. I've got to research that more. I would have to ask our doctor about how much this would cost and who would perform it and where. Not sure I am going to do this yet or not. I'm still just reading about it and dh and I are finding it fascinating as we see other family members with different but similar digestive issues that may also fit with this diagnosis.

I know the gluten intolerance issue is life-long, but I am forever wondering about the corn--- would hate to see him have to avoid it his whole life--

I am also wondering if the body's ability to produce its own stomach acid can increase naturally given certain conditions. For example, I know that increased bacterial or yeast overgrowth causes less acid to be produced, so in an ideal environment, could adequate acid be produced in a body that was previously diagnosed as hypochlorhydria? Maybe my son's acid levels have increased to normal levels over the last year? Maybe they are at below normal levels but are higher than before the diet. Maybe there has been no change at all---

This would explain why some folks on gluten free diets have problems eating meats, corn, soy, milk et al. They are still having digestive issues (because they are all protein rich?). I basically have to just get the book and talk to the doc after I read it. Conversely, we still eat meat but son has migrated away from soy and milk products (except goat) on his own. Those that know us well know that he has a wheat and corn allergy.

My aunt (non-blood related, but recently dx'd with celiac) has a good gastro doc. I may ask her to question him when she visits--

Again, not definite we are going to do any of this; I am still just researching the subject.

Caryn

Caryn,

I was just reading your post on another thread and you said

I do believe that the crux of the tic problem for these kids is a sluggish liver. Toxins are a problem for all of them, it seems, whether they be viruses, bacteria, fungus, intolerant foods, vaccines, etc.....

A healthy liver is the key.

I have been reading about glucuronic acid every chance I get recently. It is involved in phase II of liver detox. I'm looking for a way to increase it. I'm reading everything I can find regarding Kombucha. It's a fermented drink. It seems to me that it would affect PH (and believe me I am not up on the PH stuff) in a way similar to apple cider vinegar. Many articles claim that it contains glucuronic acid, which assists in toxin removal. Have you heard of it or read anything about it in your research?

Also, I thought I would leave this article here. I know people have asked how PANDAS situations may be helped with dietary changes. I thought this was interesting, as I wonder about compromised or different mucosal barrier in many of these conditions. I'm not sold on the "lectins" part of this article, but I did think it was interesting as it touched on something that a diverse group could have in common.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/318/7190/1023

Wow, Kim--

Thanks for the link. I know a mom on another list who uses the SCD diet for her son (which avoids all grains and potatoes, peanuts, and complex sugars-- even maple syrup). She makes her own Kombucha. I have never tried it and didn't really research it either at the time. She had a busy summer and I have tried to contact her this week and haven't heard back yet. I am very curious to know how her son is doing. Last we talked he was doing quite well.

I know there is a doc in Wisconsin (I think his name is Bruce Semon?) who uses an anti candida diet for tics/tourettes. Curiously, he allows potatoes where most other candida diets do not (including SCD). For anyone reading this for the first time, SCD is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and it is used to combat digestive disorders and autoimmune diseases caused by leaky gut. I have contacted some of Semon's patients and they really swear by the treatment which includes nystatin. We never did that because our son's corn allergy (nystatin has corn in it).

I will forward on the link to my celiac group and ask for a response.

I know what you mean about the lectins. I feel the same way about salycilates and oxalates. I'm not sure they are definite problems for 'all' but they certainly apply to 'some'-- and it may be a bucket issue too.

In our case we saw an increasing salycilate sensitivity while we were giving our son increased doses of B6. When we stopped the high doses his sensitivity went away. I was curious about that and did some digging. I found a study that confirmed it is possible.

Don't know about you, but I wish I had taken more chemistry in college.... LOL

As far as ph levels, I have a good friend whose husband received a new liver 6 years ago. Ph levels are very crucial as far as they are concerned. She feeds him a stellar diet and uses baking soda (high ph) and apple cider vinegar. She also uses milk thistle. I might give her a call this week and ask her if she has ever made Kombucha. She probably has. They do organic gardening and only buy organic meats. Keeping him alive is no# 1 for them, (they've got two kids ages 4 and 2). They actually buy test strips that you pee on to get acidity levels throughout the day. When Tigger first had symptoms way back when she gave me some strips and he was very acidic. At that time this was all new to me and I didn't have a clue what that even meant. She gave me a print out about it from the internet but to be honest, it was way over my head at the time. Maybe now that I am almost a graduate of the school of tics and tourettes (ha ha) I should go back and re-read it. Maybe I will understand it better.

Caryn

Caryn,

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be sure whether the stomach acid is too high or too low, with any long term supplement treatment. I know there is a danger of peptic ulcer with too much and all the problems that go along with too little. It does seem like you would know fairly quickly if you were increasing and it was a problem. Wouldn't acid reflux and pain get worse?

I have heard lots of good things about milk thistle too. I'm wondering if you know anything about the best form of fiber to add to a childs diet? I'm thinking along the lines of Benefiber?

I did buy two different types of Kombucha at a local vit shop. One was a brand called SYNERGY. It's flavored 'Passionberry Bliss," it comes in many different flavors. 4 grams sugar. It's flavored with blackberry juice and passionfruit juice. It reminds me of a watered down, wine cooler with a slightly more vinigery taste. The other one is G. T. Daves. This one is unflavored. I wanted one that would taste more like what you would probably get if you bought the kit and made it at home. The kit that I'm looking at is around 140.00. I wanted to make sure that I could get the kids to drink it, if I invested that much. I think my oldest son would, if he could see it helped with acid reflux and stomach stuff, but he wasn't wild about either one. Mr pickyness, carb craver, wouldn't have anything to do with either one. Soooo, I'm going to keep a couple of bottles in the frige, and have oldest son drink as much as I can get him too. One thing that I noticed is "polyphenols" on the lable of both. If you have a phenol intolerence???????? I did notice that I felt warm after drinking about 4 oz. It does list 10 mgs. glucuronic acid on the lable, which is what I was looking for. Also, L theanine 100 mgs. lactic acid 25 mg and Usnic acid 30 mg. Lactobacillus 1 billion and S. boulardii 1 billion. Folic acid 25% vitamin B2 20% vitamine B6 20% B 1 20% B3 20% B12 20%. This one has 2 grams sugar (unsweetened).

It was $3.49 for a 16 oz. bottle. It will keep in frige for about 3 days after opening. I am wondering if I made it at home, if I could squeeze fresh fruit into it and get youngest son to drink it. Overall, I think it could be beneficial. I will be very interested to see what your friend has to say, if you hear back from her.

I know a mom from another forum who has made HUGE wonderful gains with her once severely autistic son ( SO informed in many area's of chelation and biomed) uses this for her son, who has had terrible issues with yeast. She has also had very good things to say about gains with HBOT for the Mom who mentioned that here recently (another thread).

edit.

Caryn, I just noticed this from one of your posts

When Tigger first had symptoms way back when she gave me some strips and he was very acidic.

If you gather info, hope you share. I go around daily with cystein, glucuronic acid, N acetyl glucosamine and heperan sulfate. There is so much to investigate and so little time with all of the other daily commitments. I'm actually trying to sleep again too, which I would just-a-soon ditch, but I was starting to look somewhere in my 80's.