ACN Latitudes Forums

Charts for getting work done

I've found the charts on the Latitudes site really helpful for my ADD daughter as far as completing work after school. They help me not nag--it just goes on the chart. We keep the rewards very simple and not pricey.

I think they are a little tricky to find--you have to go to their website Learning disab. or maybe adhd also (?) and look for the frog picture. click on it and it takes you to the charts. I used to make my own. my daughter likes these better. i hope they will be putting more up.

B)

Tanya, thanks for the note on the behavior charts. Am glad they have been of help. We plan to have new ones everytime we send out our e-newsletter (ACN Today) which is every couple of months. We try to fulfill requests for special types of charts, so if there is something in particular that you need, let us know and we will do our best to have it for you. Sheila

Sheila am wondering if you could make a chart that would be a change from the regular reward charts. I have heard there is such a thing as a chart where your child loses privileges like a later bedtime or watching tv instead of earning something. Do you know what I mean? I would like to see that and have an explanation of how to use it. Thank you.

To Day by Day, Sorry that I just saw your message! A chart where students lose privileges can be a great concept. Some people think it is more realistic than having kids expect rewards for acceptable behavior. In this type of chart, you determine events that can be treated as privileges each day, and the child loses the privilege if they make poor choices in their behavior.

As in other charts, for the best success you have to focus on one or two clear behaviors (not something vague like "Be good.") Let's say at school the parents and teacher decide to focus on Mary not speaking out without raising her hand. There could be a daily grid with 8 - 12 squares. The teacher talks with the parent, often along with the child, and discusses the daily routine. What happens after school each day that the child enjoys? Possibilities are watching TV, skateboarding, a special snack, playing outside with a friend, riding a bike, playing a video game, staying up late, etc.

Now turn to the chart. What you are going to do is allow the child a few mistakes if they have been having frequent trouble in an area. So you might leave the first 4 squares blank. Then start by filling in these privileges in order, one per square. You can start with some of the least important to the child and finish up with the most important. (Another good one to consider using is figuring out a daily amount for the weekly allowance. That is also a privilege the child can lose.) Depending on the size of the chart you will have 4-8 priviliges written or drawn in picture form. Once the chart is done, make copies from that.

Each day the teacher tapes the chart on Mary's desk or keeps it somewhere else in the room. When Mary inappropriately calls out an "x" is quietly placed in the first box. She has a few more chances for error in those blank squares, then she will be causing an X to mark out something she enjoys. This continues through the day. She loses every privilege with an X on it. So, at the end of the day shes may have lost the privilege of playing with her neighbor, watching TV, and has to go to bed half an hour earlier than usual--for that day only.

When the chart comes home, the parent knows clearly what the consequences are for that day. If Mary forgets to take her chart home, she loses all the privileges for that day. (She will get through it and remember it next time!) Each day is a fresh start.

The benefit for parents is that it makes it very clear what the consequences should be--there is no discussion. And similarly for teachers, there is no need for discussion or arguing about it. Most children respond well to this and manage to stop themselves as they reach a privilege they really don't want to lose.

The key is to find the suitable rewards, but also to make sure the request is reasonable. If Mary is truly verbally hyperactive and has been loudly and impulsively calling out many times a day, the agreement could at first be that she whispers to a friend rather than speak loudly and privileges would only be lost for loud talking. The point is that you want to be sure it will work and that it is not unrealisitic.

Also, it goes without saying that the privileges are just that--they are not needs. Things like meals, lunch money, hugs, etc. would never be withheld. It is not intended to be abusive in anyway, just to make the child more aware of their behavior and help them develop self-control.

There will be an occasional child for which this will not work, and some parents may object to the concept of taking something away from a child rather than rewarding. But, many parents and teachers find it makes a lot of sense. Also, you have to be sure the event is something that can be monitored by the parent. If the child gets home first and there is no one to make sure the TV is not on, you might have to target evening TV shows.

Hope this made sense! Good luck. Sheila

I am a great believer in these charts.My first experience in charting was when my sons Clinical Psychologist tried them out with me at home. The difference in Pauls behavior after a few weeks of this was amazing and my stress being cut down by almost half.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:D Just have to say THANKS! I work in an elementary school and have been sharing these charts with teachers. One of them ran out and wanted more and I couldn't find the link to them. I wrote to acn@Latitudes.org and Sheila wrote back with it and I found more than last time. Teachers love them. Great service. Are more coming?! Will be hoping for more when school starts in the fall!! BTW, now I know the charts can be found by looking at the very bottom of the latitudes site. Just find the frog!

Loraine :P

• 3 months later...

Hello Chart Lovers! :blink:

I'm creating a new set of flexible behavior charts with a variety of designs for your students at school and/or children at home.

One will be debuting in the next e-newsletter, so be sure to look for it when it comes to your mailbox.

Remember, if you have a specific chart need, you can post a message here and I'll do my best to help you out. Together, we can help the little people in your lives find plenty of success!

Best wishes,

~Miss Mona :)

• 3 weeks later...