ACN Latitudes Forums

Got .1mg Clonidine from the doc

guy123

Went back for a follow up visit today and brought with me my 12 pages of research (the doc I posted in the other thread). I told him how Zoloft made me vomit a few hours after taking it and I stopped taking it.

My doctor told me the fact that I did 12 pages worth of research for tic treatment medicine is indicative of my OCD. I laughed. I then told him I did it cuz I wanted to know what we were talking about. He said "you're obsessed with it." I said "I'm obsessed with fixing whatever is wrong with me, yes." hehe :)

Anyway, he talked about SSRIs but I said I didn't want to try any other ones. I also said I don't want to use neuroleptics or atypical neuroleptics because of Tardive Dyskenesia. He looked through my research with me and said he didn't want to put me on anything that I wasn't comfortable taking, which I thought was cool. I had it narrowed down to 4 drugs I wanted to try:

Clonidine

Tenex

Marinol

Topamax (inspired by the thread here about topamax)

He said let's start with clonidine and I said I was fine with that. I told him I wanted to try marinol but I had heard it was ridiculously expensive ($700/mo). I said it's cheaper to buy it on the street. He told me "it does work but I won't give it to you so you'll have to get it on the street." lol. Maybe he'll write me a note so if I get busted by the cops I can say "but my doctor told me too!!!" haha.

Anyway, he also said it's good I'm meeting with a neurologist later this month and he said the neuro will be able to rule out any brain problems (even tho that's what I suspect it is anyway).

Cliff's Notes:

- I'm starting clonidine tonight at bedtime (drowsiness is a side effect) and I will let this forum know if it works.

Hi Guy :) ...as for him calling your 12 pages of research OCD, well what does that make all of us ? :) Anyone who tics or is a parent of a child with tics will do alot of research... how else would we find anything out?

You hear so many parents say how many hours they spend on the internet trying to figure things out. I think it's a normal response, to lable that as proof of OCD is silly. Ofcourse you will do as much as you can to fix the problem. Plus, you are entitled to do as much research as you can when it comes to medication!!

I hope this works for you, take care, :)

Lyn.

Guy,

I found it very upsetting that he would "diagnose" you with OCD that way. But I think you actually got the last laugh -- you only did 12 pages; he went to medical school for how many years? He's way more obsessive than you :)

Did you get diagnosed with oppositional-defiant disorder when you disagreed with him?

Good luck, and let us know how you feel in the morning.

I did some research on marinol and it seems like what alot of people are doing, because of the expense, is getting the prescription to justify THC showing up on blood tests and then just buying it on the streets anyway, because they can't afford the script. Me- I'm too afraid of getting caught!

Hey Guy123....my daughter along with her nightmares that began..also had a VERY low blood pressure on this. It is a low blood pressure medicine but I was uncomforatble with just how low it was.....Just keep an eye on your blood pressure as you increase......If it works for you than GREAT!

I am not a fan of meds but as in my daughters case the quality of life became the most important. Hopefully anyone that has to take the med route will not need them forever. In any case goodluck to you okay! I'll be praying for you along with all the others on here I pray for.....

OH almost forgot.....I hear over and over again that tenex doesn't cause the drowsiness that the clonidine does....just a thought for you if you get too drowsy on it.

The drugs are both low blood pressure medicines.

Hey Guy123....my daughter along with her nightmares that began..also had a VERY low blood pressure on this. It is a low blood pressure medicine but I was uncomforatble with just how low it was.....Just keep an eye on your blood pressure as you increase......If it works for you than GREAT!

OH almost forgot.....I hear over and over again that tenex doesn't cause the drowsiness that the clonidine does....just a thought for you if you get too drowsy on it.

The drugs are both low blood pressure medicines.

PLEASE NOTE!!!!! that Clonidine and Tenex are used to treat **HIGH** blood pressure

ie they cause blood pressure to be lowered and so are known as hypertension treating meds or high blood pressure meds

Just emphasizing this so no one gets confused as that could be dangerous

ok cool it works from my phone. i wanted to test before i wrote a long reply and not have it go thru.

forgive any typos and bad gramar since i am posting from my phone.

ok, i decided to only take 1/2 a pill (so .05mg) because i read about that dose on the internet. i figured i can always increase it later.

i took it the night i made this thread.

The next morning i woke up and my eyes hurt. like they were actually throbbing to the beat of my heart. slightly painful, enough to be annoying. it went away after a few hours. since then, i've only felt this for a few *minutes* here and there, and sometimes only in my right eye.

on the first day i noticed that i felt like i was blinking less. let me explain this, however:

ever since i got this tic, i have been EXTREMELY conscious of the passage of time, every second of every minute of every day. the reason is because every few seconds i get the urge to blink, and i am aways consciously aware of it. i am never "in the moment" ever, because i am always aware of the passage of time. the one exception is when i have sex or masturbate because as i've said before, this causes the tic to go away.

i would have these moments the first or second day on clonidine where i would suddenly realize "omg! i havent blinked (hard tic blink) in the last 5 min!" it was like for a short time my brain went back to "normal" and lived in the moment. and the i would becme aware of it (usually when the next tic blink urge came).

i hope that made sense.

overall i would say, with one exception, the urge to blink hard has been reduced by 25-50%. the one exception is the other day when my eyes were killing me (like a usual, pre-clonidine day).

Side effects:

- the drowsiness is intermittent. some times i dont notice it. but the other day i almost fell asleep while driving. it was a chemical sleep feeling, the kind you have no control over (like taking ambien vs. being naturally tired)

- dry mouth/throat: bad the first two days. improving since.

- dizzyness upon standing: sometimes it's bad (light headed and seeing pretty colors). sometimes it's not noticeable at all.

- sexual side effects: i'm kind of pissed here. it could be coincidence but my libido has been decreased since i started. and when i do have sex, my erections are less rigid than before. i had never heard of this as a side effect before so i googled it and found that its a rare one. it could be linked to the drowsiness. i'll see if it goes away.

I monitored my blood pressure the first few days. it was fine. my bp is usually low so i was worrid about adding clonidine to the mix. my usual bp is like 120 over 68. i think this is low considering how high strung i am.

pulse is normal. occasionally i have noticed it randomly racing for a few moments. this is weird.

headaches: i never get headaches unless i'm sick. in the past few days i have had a few, transient headaches. this stuck out to me cuz like i said, i dont get headaches.

eyeaches: mentioned above. countered with ibuprofin.

I havent tried working out yet since starting clonidine. i'm kind of worried cuz of the lightheaded thing while rising. i'm afraid to do squats.

part of my ocd is bdd so not working out might be an issue. i am literally repulsed when i look in the mirror at how much weight i've lost in the last week (i have a very fast metabolism). but thats another issue altogether.

i am interested in possibly trying tenex. i read that there's basically no reason to ever use clonidine now that tenex is available.

i also read one case where a guy said tenex didnt work for him but clonidine did. weird.

oh yeah, im posting from my phone cuz i just moved and i dont have internet at my condo yet.

glad you are ok Guy

my husband had very erratic moodswings on clonidine and especially anger/rage issues upped

he found himself imagining things and then getting very worked up about them...tiny things became major issues etc

and yes, very dizzy on it too.

is your blood pressure being monitored? that really is very important as clonidine lowers bp a lot and that could be why you have the rising light headedness too (blood pressure naturally drops when we go from supine to standing)

blood pressure *was* being monitored before i moved (we has a bp machine where i used to live). Not anymore, tho.

Do you think i should buy one and take my bp throughout the day, like maybe morning, noon, evening?

On a side note, last night i was having terrible headaches/eyeaches. i forgot to pack my ibuprofin wen i moved and the grocery store closed last night at midnight.

could headaches/eyeaches be related to low bp?

Guy if you are experiencing these side effects you really should talk to the doc

I may be biased because of the issues, including psychosis, that my husband had on it, but I really do feel it is a dangerous drug that needs very careful physician supervision, especially if side effects are prevalent

Guy if you are experiencing these side effects you really should talk to the doc

They've cooled down a bit during the last few days.

I may be biased because of the issues, including psychosis, that my husband had on it, but I really do feel it is a dangerous drug that needs very careful physician supervision, especially if side effects are prevalent

That's why I'm only taking 1/2 a pill per day ^_^