ACN Latitudes Forums

Sulfite Sensitivity

I remember someone on this board saying their child was sensitive to sulfites. So, when I was reading this page about lima beans I thought of you, whoever you are. :)http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ice&dbid=59

Sensitive to Sulfites? Lima Beans May Help

Lima beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites. Sulfites are a type of preservative commonly added to prepared foods like delicatessen salads and salad bars. Persons who are sensitive to sulfites in these foods may experience rapid heartbeat, headache or disorientation if sulfites are unwittingly consumed. If you have ever reacted to sulfites, it may be because your molybdenum stores are insufficient to detoxify them. A cup of lima beans will give you 86.5% of the daily value for this helpful trace mineral.

I don't know a single kid who likes lima beans, tho :)

I have never had fresh lima beans, but my son picked out the lima bean seeds for our garden, so we'll see how that goes. My kids love all beans, so I'm not worried. I've read today that fresh lima beans are delicious, and that frozen lima beans are better than canned or dried. We'll see about that.

The more you process corn the higher the sulfite content it acquires. Molybdenum can also be compounded into a vitamin. My ds took it daily while he was 'recovering' last year. We have since phased it out.

I'm not a lima bean girl either.

Both of my sons' favorite vegetable is lima beans! (or butter beans here in the south) The way I cook them is first just prepare them as you would on the package(boil for 16-20 min. or so). Then while that is boiling cook 3-4 slices of bacon (nitrite free here) Use the bacon grease to saute some green onions (or any onion) and some minced garlic. Mix this into your cooked lima beans and add a little salt and pepper and there you have it. Sometimes I add a little butter as well or just butter if I don't have bacon. My son would eat these every night if I let him.

Both of my sons' favorite vegetable is lima beans! (or butter beans here in the south) The way I cook them is first just prepare them as you would on the package(boil for 16-20 min. or so). Then while that is boiling cook 3-4 slices of bacon (nitrite free here) Use the bacon grease to saute some green onions (or any onion) and some minced garlic. Mix this into your cooked lima beans and add a little salt and pepper and there you have it. Sometimes I add a little butter as well or just butter if I don't have bacon. My son would eat these every night if I let him.

These are the raves I kept reading that have me excited to try our garden lima beans, and they all include bacon or ham. :wub: My kids like the dry ones when we have them, but that hasn't been very often. Yummm... I'm hungry.