ACN Latitudes Forums

L Carnitine

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar

I read in one of your posts in brain talk that L Carnitine helps specifically vocal tics. Can it be just given along with a normal multivitamin and flax/fish oil? Also read in a post that it causes weight loss. Would appreciate if you can share your experience on L-Carnitine? what is the dosage generally recommended for a 65 pounds child? Any side effects to be looked for??

thanks again

here is info on L-carnitine.

http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000204

because it is an amino acid, it should be used with caution, and preferably with guidance from a qualified physician.

It has been very beneficial to my son and many others for vocal tics, but there are mixed views on whether it should be used with other supplements.

It is known to cause weight loss because it aids in fat metabolism.

It does seem ok tho to use with multivit and Omega fatty acids.

As to doseage...my son takes 500mg perday but he is 14 and weighs 150+lbs. He takes adult dose on most things.

It really is wise to consult with an alternative physician before using amino acids.

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar, thanks for the link. Read the details and it says

Carnitine is taken in three forms: L-carnitine (for heart and other conditions), propionyl-L-carnitine (for heart conditions), and acetyl-L-carnitine (for Alzheimer's disease).

Which form of carnitine do you give to your son for TS. I thought it was L Carinitine all along but when I check the details of the website given by you, looks like its more for heart conditions. Can you explain to me on this please