ACN Latitudes Forums

ADHD Supplements? Focus Formula?

TrentB

5 yr old son with Epilepy and "Possibly" ADHD.

Has anyone ever tried Focus Formula by Native Remedies for ADHD or for just calming a child? My son is actve and the possibility of him being hyperactive seems to be real.

Any sggestions for supplements or alternative treatments?

Would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge about this.

Also I have heard about Kids Calm or Calms Kids. ???

Thank you.

Hi TrentB

I have heard some good reports on the Native remedies products, including their focus factor but have no personal experience

many parents on the Tourette/tics/PANDAS forum here have found Kids Calm and Natural Calm exptremely beneficial for tics and restful sleep, but I dont know it has benefit for ADHD too

Hi Trent,

I have not tried this formula. I did use Attention Focus Plus from Nature's Sunshine vitamins. It worked. I also added foods high in magnesium and a magnesium supplement. I took out artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. The teacher last year said that he was completely different in the classroom.

I have many supplements in his diet for tics....but I have found that it helps the ADHD too.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever tried Focus Formula by Native Remedies for ADHD or for just calming a child? My son is actve and the possibility of him being hyperactive seems to be real.

Thank you.

Have you considered having him tested for pyroluria. Pyroluria causes poor stress control, nervousness, anxiety, mood swing, severe inner tension, episodic anger. Anyways it represents a combined zinc and vitamin b6 deficiency. Commonly identified in ADHD. Treatment is nutritional. You can check out the website www.pyroluriatesting.com the test is called kryptopyrrole.

Thank you.

Hi,

I have not used this formula. I have used Nature's Sunshine Focus Attention Plus, when my son was 6. The teacher noticed a difference, BUT I also added Magnesium and fish oil at that time. We also eliminated artifical colors and flavors at that time...and preservatives. He did much better in class. I notice that the artificials cause a lot of focus issues for him!

Hey,

How did you take out the artificial colors and flavors and preservatives...sounds complicated or a lot of special shopping. What are the main foods your child eats now. My kid eats many kid foods - fish sticks, chicken nuggets, tuna sandwiches, some fruit, some veggies, and many main dishes like steak, spegh., chicken, pork.... he does eat a couple of the kid cereals, gummies, popsickles and donuts and sweet tea as his sweets...Thanks!

Hi,

I have not used this formula. I have used Nature's Sunshine Focus Attention Plus, when my son was 6. The teacher noticed a difference, BUT I also added Magnesium and fish oil at that time. We also eliminated artifical colors and flavors at that time...and preservatives. He did much better in class. I notice that the artificials cause a lot of focus issues for him!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to respond! I took out MSG all together. If you read up on it, you will see that it acts like a spark to the brain. This one was tough b/c it is in all salty snacks!! Google it and there should be a site that has all the different names for MSG. Doritos are HUGE in MSG. I went to the organic aisle for his snacks. "Natural" Cheetos, Smart Puffs and Pirate's Booty are goo too. He eats cashews, apples, crackers, lots of salad (with artificial salad dressing :wacko: ), veggies, meatballs, Boars Head has a sweet turkey but he won't eat it on bread.....the snacks are the toughest. TLC by Kashi is hit or miss with him. Skippy makes an all natural peanut butter and Nature's Own makes a preservative free bread. I have added some of the artificials back in, but avoid the preservatives and the MSG. Today he had a red gatorade after school and he was like a ping pong ball for about 4 hours after that!!! I use Capri Suns b/c they are all natural, but huge in high fructose corn syrup. I tried the all natural organic juice boxes, but he hated them.

OH.....oatmeal choc chip cookies made with giardelli choc chips (no artificials) and brownies made with cocoa...they have a great recipe on the Netle's cocoa box.....he loves those and they are so easy. I buy dough at the grocery store bakery and make some homemade pizza...that is easy too....

Also, have you looked up GABA. I give him several amino acids because he had a lot of tics last year....but I originally looked at the GABA for the focus factor. I think that formula I told you about has GABA in it and that is why I started looking at it.

I hope this helps.