ACN Latitudes Forums

Brad Cohen's story to air on TV

Hey all,

I just received some exciting news from my local TSA chapter leader. The Hallmark Hall of Fame Holiday movie will be "Front of the Class", a story of young man (Brad Cohen) with TS who became a teacher in Atlanta.

It is scheduled to air Dec 7 on CBS, so set your TiVo. Tell everyone you know. The movie is being filmed in Sept in Shreveport, LA.

Thought you would all be interested and hopefully as delighted as I am to hear about this positive public awareness opportunity for TS.

thanks for posting that,

I think you'll all enjoy that, I remember seeing him on Oprah a couple years back. He was trying to get a job as a teacher and this one principal gave him a chance. He is really great with the kids and they love him. His tic is a vocal sound like a "bba" sound. He was asked how he handles it and they show how he talked to the kids about it and they were all so cool about it. One child said he felt that he helped him to not be afraid to tell people that he had diabetes, where before he felt he wanted to hide it. He was asked how he handles the tics and he said "well, the kids make alot of noise, and I make a lot of noise, so its just a noisy classroom!". It's a nice story, he seems a like a great guy. But warning, it's kind of a tearjerker for us moms.

Faith

Faith,

I remember seeing him on Oprah too awhile ago. It was an inspirational show on tics/TS. However, the media does not show the benefit of alternative methods that can minimize tics/TS. There is another recent show that follow 3/4 i think teenagers with this problem and how they dealt with it. A friend told me about it and i was not interested it because it offers no hope & solution and it is hard breaking to watch this illness. We need to put what we know on this forum to the public. I bet many people can benefit from this.

In my early journey, i spoke with a mom who's 3 kids all have different degree of TS, and have been on med since they were kids, now they are in their 20's & 30's. And one of the them's TS has gotton worse even on med. However, the other 2's TS are minimized via med, however with some side affects. When i asked her about alternative treatments, she is not aware of any. It is amazing how some of us take the words of our conventional drs. as gold standard.

Pat

I hear ya Pat, but I kind of wish that it would be more put out there that ts is not always the horror story that they usually portray. Regardless of meds or natural means, I believe that many people have different degrees as you say, but I bet those people are not known about, its only the severe type you hear about, so many many people have the misconception and misunderstanding of what tourettes is. I think many people have tics but do not even report this to their doc, I am one of them, I know I have compulsions and such, but don't have anything obvious like vocal or eye, so no one is the wiser. I just wish it would be more widespread that tics are not that unusual.

As far as meds vs. natural treatments, I think anyone who is "open" to finding alternative treatments for ANY condition or disease will find it if they look for it. In this brave new internet world, the answers are there to be found, it just depends on how "receptive" people are to it, you know? There are many alternative treatments for cancer, but alot of people don't know about it until they decide to look for it.

Faith

In my early journey, i spoke with a mom who's 3 kids all have different degree of TS, and have been on med since they were kids, now they are in their 20's & 30's. And one of the them's TS has gotton worse even on med. However, the other 2's TS are minimized via med, however with some side affects.

Any idea what medications she used?

And the TS itself got worse on medication? Or they just had bad side effects? Did the TS go back to normal after they quit the medication?

guy123,

I didn't ask what kind of medication her kids' are on, since i wasn't interested in that direction. However, she did say 2 of her kids' tics are minimal due to medication with minor side effects. And one of her kids' tics has increased while on the same med. Apparently, the med is not working like it used to.

The way i understand it, when dopamine is in excess or overly stimulated, it can trigger tics. In fact, you can treat this imbalance via NAET & Bioset.

NAET is an energetic allergy desensitization. You hold the allergent in a vial in one hand while the practitioner clear your various acunpuncture points. The idea is to clear restrictions within ones meridian so the next time you come in contact with this allergent, you body will not react to it. And bioset is a spin off of NAET. IMO, it is more accurate, because instead of using muscle testing to find out one's allergies, it uses a biomeridan machine, and it can test many things in one office visit. Another plus, bioset does not have an avoidance period. When one is treated via NAET, there is a 25 hrs. avoidance period for that particular allergent. For ex., if you were treated for wheat, then you cannot eat or touch it for 25 hrs., otherwise your treatment will not hold and need to do it again.

Pat

guy123,

I didn't ask what kind of medication her kids' are on, since i wasn't interested in that direction. However, she did say 2 of her kids' tics are minimal due to medication with minor side effects. And one of her kids' tics has increased while on the same med. Apparently, the med is not working like it used to.

The way i understand it, when dopamine is in excess or overly stimulated, it can trigger tics. In fact, you can treat this imbalance via NAET & Bioset.

NAET is an energetic allergy desensitization. You hold the allergent in a vial in one hand while the practitioner clear your various acunpuncture points. The idea is to clear restrictions within ones meridian so the next time you come in contact with this allergent, you body will not react to it. And bioset is a spin off of NAET. IMO, it is more accurate, because instead of using muscle testing to find out one's allergies, it uses a biomeridan machine, and it can test many things in one office visit. Another plus, bioset does not have an avoidance period. When one is treated via NAET, there is a 25 hrs. avoidance period for that particular allergent. For ex., if you were treated for wheat, then you cannot eat or touch it for 25 hrs., otherwise your treatment will not hold and need to do it again.

Pat

Very interesting. Do you have any info or links to how allergies affect dopamine? I'm still pretty new to all this.

Thanks!

Oh and I don't know if you're still in contact with that lady but if you could ask what medications she used I would appreciate it. I hope it wasn't one of the common ones!

guy123,

Excess or overly stimulated dopamine can be one of tic triggers, but not always a tic trigger. For example, when my son was waxing with facial tics, we treated dopamine and other neurotransmitters and it pretty much did nothing for him even he was off balance via bioset testing.

In my son's case, his environmental allergies is one of his tic triggers. When he was waxing with facial tics, it was due to douglas fir and eucalyptus trees. Once these trees were treated, the facial tic went away. With allergy desensitization, if you can figure out the exact trigger, the result is miraclous because it is so immediate!

You mentioned your eye tic started when you started allergy shots. Do you have a history of what shots you had? If you can trace it back to the beginning, i would urge you to treat these shots via NAET or Bioset, even if you tested out not sensitive, because in treating my son for the last couple of years., i learned that muscle or biomeridan testing can still miss what the body is sensitive to.

Sorry, i don't have that lady's number anymore. She is someone i met thru a preschool teacher at the time and i have lost touch with her.

Good luck. Keep looking you will find your answers.

Pat

guy123,

Excess or overly stimulated dopamine can be one of tic triggers, but not always a tic trigger. For example, when my son was waxing with facial tics, we treated dopamine and other neurotransmitters and it pretty much did nothing for him even he was off balance via bioset testing.

In my son's case, his environmental allergies is one of his tic triggers. When he was waxing with facial tics, it was due to douglas fir and eucalyptus trees. Once these trees were treated, the facial tic went away. With allergy desensitization, if you can figure out the exact trigger, the result is miraclous because it is so immediate!

You mentioned your eye tic started when you started allergy shots. Do you have a history of what shots you had? If you can trace it back to the beginning, i would urge you to treat these shots via NAET or Bioset, even if you tested out not sensitive, because in treating my son for the last couple of years., i learned that muscle or biomeridan testing can still miss what the body is sensitive to.

Sorry, i don't have that lady's number anymore. She is someone i met thru a preschool teacher at the time and i have lost touch with her.

Good luck. Keep looking you will find your answers.

Pat

I'm not sure what I was treated for. I remember they gave me a bunch of tests (pricks on the arm) and the ones that become swollen were the ones I was allergic to. I guess they put those items into the shots and that's what I was given. But I never completed treatment. I stopped after a few weeks cuz I developed this blinking tic.

The allergy doctor also gave me a prescription for a roll-on anti-acne medication. My mom thinks that is what caused the tic to start. I have no idea what it was or what was in it.

I should maybe give this office a call and see if I can get the info about my shots, huh.

well...if you would happen to be sensitive to salicylates..then, yes...not necessarily from the acne med., but, salicylates are found naturally in many of our common foods as well as hygeine products and aspirin.

www.salicylatesensitivity.com