ACN Latitudes Forums

Restless - Natural calming agents tips please

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

We too started our journey with the Feingold Diet. I know that it has worked wonders for many people, however, the reason we react to certain foods or have allergies is because of a compromised immune system. Some foods are very obvious offenders while others are not - sometimes a reaction can occur up to 3 days later. I was going crazy trying to figure out food triggers. The way that the Feingold program really helped us was making us realize the "ingredients" listed on many products were harmful additives. MSG is not necessarily always listed under that name and you need to watch out for "no added" ingredients, because that just means that the manufacturer didn't add certain ingredients, but if they purchased something in the product from another manufacturer it could stll contain for example, nutrasweet. I figured it was just easier to make things from scratch- in a pinch I'll buy something organic that is allready made. The Feingold program also offers a very nice "acceptable products" list which is nice.

The best way to deal with food sensitivities is to bring the body back in balance as much as possible and build the immune system.

Our son still cannot have candy or nutrasweet or MSG- his reactions are pretty immediate. No tics, but OCD and hyperactivity increase quite a bit. But that's O.K. those aren't healthy food choices anyway.

Jennifer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest_efgh

Hi Jennifer

When I checked feingold.org a couple of weeks back, I noticed that Pringles sour n cream onion chips was listed in the safe list. What perplexed me was that it contained MSG. So, I am still not sure on what basis it has been listed as the acceptable food.

You can check the same in www.feingold.org (acceptable food items)

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

I couldn't find the safe food list on their website, I have the handbook. The only thing I can think is that it was either a mistake or the ingredients have changed since the list was made, companies do change their ingredients from time to time and if you are a Feingold member you get monthly newsletter that keeps you posted on foods that may or may not be on the safe list anymore.

Jennifer

Guest Guest_efgh

Jennifer,

I read in one of your posts that you tried homeopathy for your son's tics. Was it helpful? How exactly did it help you.

I hve fixed an appt with a homeopath next week for my son's tics. The homeopath is quite famous in the sense he was an allopath pediatrician all along and now has started a small homeo set up after retiring from allopathy. Fixed an appointment with her and i have mixed feelings that is if its a right step?? What are the questions/clarifications that I should get clarified from her? What are the tests I should request for? What else should I be looking for?

thanks.

Guest Jennifer

efgh,

That's great that you have found such a reputable homeopath and one that has a pediatric background!!! The things we did for our son homeopathically were homeopathic detox formulas for heavy metals and DPT vaccines , Muscle testing(this is also a non invasive way to narrow in on possible allergies), allergy desensitization, and a biocleanse foot soak which helps the body in it's detoxification process. As far questions go I would just ask about his protocol and the research behind it, possible side effects.

Jennifer

So THAT is why corn syrup is bad, thanks.

My son wanted a gingerbread house kit from the store. Oh my, corn syrup, colors number 4 to 1000, or so it seemed.

He seems to respect that artificial colors are bad news.

He also now 'gets' that chocolate keeps him awake. 2 days in a row he had chocolate milk when we were out in the late afternoon, and he was up forever. Actually a good thing in retrospect, because he noticed the change.

I am hoping to do all my Dr. Rapp and Feingold reading over Christmas.

We get the bodybio oil this week--next step to get it in him (smoothie time). I found chewable multi-vites and even chewable B supplements. Odd, FJ says B6 needs zinc, but none of the chewable 'balanced B's' seem to have much, if any.

We aren't megadosing, but this children's vite has 200% of B's, plus sometimes I give him an extra B chewable. It is mostly for the Riboflavin for light sensitivity and excema. But B's supposedly help the nervous system.

I may barter with him on 5HTP and St. John's wort later.

Claire

efgh

Whoops, I read her comment on another post, where Jennifer said that they processed corn syrup with petroleum. I had multiple threads open and once, so responded in the wrong place. I don't know where she said it.

Claire

ps keep us posted on your success with your homeopath...

• 3 weeks later...

As of 2 weeks ago, my son wants to sleep on the floor. We have hardwood, and now I definitely must vacuum it daily (and mop at least every other day). I tried putting camping pads under a blanket for a time, but he never did like the cushions, and tonight I agreed to take them out again. So he sleeps both on and under a comforter on the hardwood floor. He still listens to the radio for 45 minutes to an hour before falling asleep--nothing has changed there.

Maybe it is cooler there, or even less dusty than his mattress (I checked and had been mistaken, his new thicker mattress that we got doesn't have the dustmite covers). He says he 'just likes it harder--it is easier to sleep'. I even took out his bed and put his mattress right on the floor as an alternative, which he sits and reads on, but won't sleep on it. By the way, it is a nice quality mattress. Tomorrow I will suggest that he check out the super firm/hard ones, but I really doubt that will have an impact. He does use a pillow, and tonight I noticed he bundled up the top blanket under him a bit.

Anyone have experience with this, or reactions to it? He is happy with it and he seems to be sleeping okay, so I won't force him to do otherwise--but just don't know what to think about it!

Claire

:D

Oh Claire

I had a nostalgic giggle when i read this post of yours

Deja Vu!!!!

My son spent over a year sleeping on the floor when the TS initially manifested 4 years ago.

I tried mattresses, airbeds etc, but, what he loved best was a thin, hard "futon" and a soft comforter for cover (He still refuses sheets although he now sleeps on his mattress on the floor!....I have it "allergy covered" and have to wash that cover very frequently.) He hates to sleep up high, and says that he gets tangled in sheets etc. On cooler nights he dresses warmer, but still refuses extra covers.

I have heard of this from other TS people too!

Another one of those unexplained mysteries that probably have some logical basis re neurological stuff :)

I guess I have learned now that I dont try to question or explain these things....hey! if it means he can sleep or whatever else better......I am all for it :lol:

Hi Chemar,

Thanks a million. Well, why am I not so surprised to hear this from you? Our son's have some overlap, but fortunately for me, you have a 4 year headstart with a successful track record to help guide me... I wonder if it is cooler near the floor--I keep reading that heat is an issue. Also, maybe the hard surface is somehow stabilizing to them. I offered to get him a hard futon today, but he is not interested. Maybe later...

I believe that you mentioned chlorine as an issue (and I know it shows on Sheila Roger's tic trigger list). Does this make swimming in chlorinated pools a potential issue? We don't do it very often, I just wondered if it might be something to watch for. I know the air around an indoor pool can make me sick.

By the way, the EM doctor we are seeing happens to have a primary background in psychiatry, so that will should be helpful for 5HTP/St. John's Wort etc discussion.

Claire

:) I thought my son was the only one who likes to sleep on the floor.

He is 11 and has had ts for 2 years I am still trying to find out what to do. He frequently wakes up at night and ends up on our floor in our bedroom. I take him back to his room when it wakes me up. He has a real hard time going to bed within the last couple of months. He does not stick with any natural remedies for to long , so we recently put him on tenex.

Hi KPD,

Do you mind if I ask if your son has any OCD tendencies also? I am trying to better understand(unscientifically, I realize) whether this is an OCD/compulsive tendency vs a TS tendency. I find this fascinating. I wonder what will happen when they grow up and get married--not that anything stays the same...

What do you mean he doesn't stick with natural remedies? That he refuses to take vitamin supplements? Is Tenex a prescription drug? Interesting that he is willing to do that instead--unless maybe it is only one capsule a day vs many.

Claire

Guest Guest_efgh

Hi KPD

Does tenex help your son? What are the motor and vocal tics that he has had? Since he is 11, may be TS is at its peak due to puberty , etc and it would wane off soon. At what age were his tics severe? Did he start having this sleep problem right from the start of TS?

thanks.