ACN Latitudes Forums

Got a neurologist referral

guy123

Since my symptoms disappear when I go to the doctor, I recorded a movie of my blinking on my phone. I showed it to my eye doctor today. She said it looks like blepharospasm but my symptoms don't sound like it (ie. my blinking is not involuntary and my eyes don't stay shut). I'm simply blinking to alleviate an uncomfortable sensation ("premonitory urge"?)

She gave me a referral to a neurologist.

What should I expect from my visit? I want to get a PET scan. Is that something I say on the phone when I'm making my appointment or is that something we'll talk about at our initial visit and then schedule a followup visit for or what?

Oh, can neurologists write prescriptions? Based on my research I want to try Marinol but I have a feeling it's going to take a while before I find a doctor who will prescribe it. And I'm going to feel weird asking for it.

i had my initial appt with a neuro last summer after "coming out of the TS closet". It was pretty much a complete waste of time as he was very mainstream and didn't buy into all the "anecdotal" evidence i presented him from this website. I hope you will find someone who is more open.

Neuros DO give prescriptions......the one I saw mostly talked about Clonidine and Neurontin I think, which I hadn't heard of for TS before. I declined the Rx at that time. I still haven't found much relief, but I'm not giving up.

I would ask him about a PET scan if that's what you really want. What does that look for? Is it similar to an EEG or MRI? It can't hurt to ask about the Marinol. Maybe you'll find he/she is very open minded and if so, I want the name!! :D

What you should expect and what you actually get are often 2 different things. It really depends on the neurologist. But, go prepared to request what you want with some good solid reasons: PET scan to rule out_________ and __________. Marinol to alleviate what symptoms and why you think it will be a good med for you. Do you homework. (or do the doctor's homework!)

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a ton of research, at least on medication. I have a 12 page document (uploaded on this forum).

I'm hoping he's cool.

I heard a PET scan will tell you if your levels of serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, etc., are out of whack. That's why I want one.