ACN Latitudes Forums

Even more confused

mom2ck

Everytime I have gotten on the computer lately I keep coming back to this site to learn more. Yes, I hyperfocus on whatever I am interested in at a given time whether it be this, nutrition, birthday parties, scrapbooking, cake decorating, photography,etc. However, I have learned a lot about a lot of different categories over the years. Anyhow, I just want to find out what is going on with my son and help him. I have posted a few topics here in the last few days and am trying to set up appointments with dr.'s But, as I read more and more on this site, I get even more confused. I know he is suffering from tics. But, the adhd and ocd is confusing me.

I read about asbergers and wonder if my son is truly asbergers and not adhd or ocd. From what I understand ocd people have rituals or do things a certain # of times. My son really doesn't do this. He is definately inflexible and hates change, but not ritualistic. Also on the website http://newideas.net/aspergers-syndrome they say some really interesting things about asbergers that makes me think.

Here they are: "Mostly symptoms include deficiencies in social skills, and interest in and need for routine, sameness and habit, which often leads to difficulty with change, along with preoccupations and obsessions." "They are often unaware of proper body distance and are usually "in the face" of the person with whom they are speaking." "They also take things very literally, which can lead to disagreements, misunderstandings and fights with their family and peers. And their facial affect, or expression, often appears flat.""Sensory overload issues are a main characteristic of these children, as they are often sensitive to sound, taste, smell, light and/or touch. Their sensory issues might determine some of their unique behaviors, such as eating only crunchy foods because they like the texture, or becoming anxious and frustrated in a room with certain lighting or acoustics." "Asperger's kids sometimes seem to lack empathy, and their interactions often appear one-sided. This leads to the inability to form proper friendships, and often invites bullying and teasing. Many Asperger's children are isolated and friendless."

Of course there is much more on the site, but these are the things that really relate to my son. Is there anyone who can give me an idea of the difference of these kids? Why would a dr. diagnose one over the other?

My son definately has the sensory issues described above. Loud noises or babies crying really upset him, but loud music is fine. Texture is huge with foods and he does like things crunchy. He throws up easily when things aren't right. Also throws up when he smells things that aren't to his liking. Clothes have to be comfy for him to wear them. Socks & shoes have to be just right. Has a hard time looking people in the eye even when you tell him to. Hyperfocuses on what he is interested in at the time (woops, guess that is from me). Gets angered easily and frustrated when things don't go as he thinks they should. So, much that he gets so mad and clenches his fists, screams and will even hit sometimes.

So can anyone help with this

Anyway, can anyone help me understand this more thoroughly or direct me to a website that shows the differences in these disorders?

Thanks

I see the same things that you do with my son. The sensory issues, the sensitivities, the obsessive thinking and obsessing about certain things. BUT, he does not have the social issues that I see with many aspberger's kids. There are many levels of aspberger's and many people with ADHD, TS, OCD, etc. have co-existing conditions such as Sensory Integration Disorder. I think you might want to research SID instead.

What I have found from doing all my research(as I'm just like you on this one) is that it really doesn't matter what label we put on our kids, what matters is our attitude and how we treat them, encouraging them along the way, and loving them no matter what LABEL they qualify for. I could label my son with TS, OCD, ADD, GAD, SID....wow, when I type it out it seems like a lot. But, if you were to meet him at a store or on a football field he'd look just like all the other kids out there.

The hardest thing for me is figuring out which supplements will help and which dietary changes to implement. We started with a naturopath and will probably stay away from the MD's and Neuros b/c I know they'll probably just want to put him on meds. That would be a last resort for us. So, what I'm doing now is preparing for the future with my research on the supplements, etc. so that I can help him overcome his OCD and tics(those are the worst issues we have for now). Hang in there, we're all on a similar journey!

Bonnie

We are right there with you on this. I have been researching the AS angle too. My son has the sensory issues too, and has heigtened reactions to pain. He does have friends though. However I do notice when kids are here at the house he is fine to go off and play his own thing alone. He does mistake language and gets very upset and angry when he thinks the kids are laughing at him (when actually they are laughing with him), he does sometimes have vocal and body tics and obsesses over his marked likes, He is very emotional and angers easily, attention issues and fine and gross motor delays. I just am worried if we don't get the right diagnosis he won't get the right help at school. It is frustrating because we want to get the right treatments. I have heard of people being able to recover their kids with the therapy. I agree the therapies for treatment are what are the most important. These kids look like every other kid but there is something different about how they behave.

I see the same things that you do with my son. The sensory issues, the sensitivities, the obsessive thinking and obsessing about certain things. BUT, he does not have the social issues that I see with many aspberger's kids. There are many levels of aspberger's and many people with ADHD, TS, OCD, etc. have co-existing conditions such as Sensory Integration Disorder. I think you might want to research SID instead.

What I have found from doing all my research(as I'm just like you on this one) is that it really doesn't matter what label we put on our kids, what matters is our attitude and how we treat them, encouraging them along the way, and loving them no matter what LABEL they qualify for. I could label my son with TS, OCD, ADD, GAD, SID....wow, when I type it out it seems like a lot. But, if you were to meet him at a store or on a football field he'd look just like all the other kids out there.

The hardest thing for me is figuring out which supplements will help and which dietary changes to implement. We started with a naturopath and will probably stay away from the MD's and Neuros b/c I know they'll probably just want to put him on meds. That would be a last resort for us. So, what I'm doing now is preparing for the future with my research on the supplements, etc. so that I can help him overcome his OCD and tics(those are the worst issues we have for now). Hang in there, we're all on a similar journey!

Bonnie

I tried to write about this a few years ago, but I didn't know much myself, so it could be inaccurate:

http://multiconnection.tripod.com/greencon.../sametraits.htm

All these conditions overlap to some extent.

Aspergers:

Core problem is social difficulties

Other main problems include taking things literally, narrow interests/obsessions

Other problems include inattention, sensory integration and processing problems, tics and compulsions

ADHD:

Core problems are inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity (depending on type)

Other main problems include executive dysfunction

Other problems (caused by the above) include social difficulties

Tourette syndrome:

Core problem is tics

Other main problems can include compulsions (although may actually be complex tics) and impulsivity

Other problems can include social awkwardness and difficulties (sometimes caused by the above), inattention (sometimes caused by the above) and problems with sensory integration and processing

Obsesstive compulsive disorder:

Core problem is obessions and/or compulsions

Other main problems can include tics (although may be technically compulsions)

Other problems can include social awkwardness and difficulties (sometimes caused by the above), inattention (sometimes caused by the above) and possibly problems with sensory integration and processing (although I think this is less common than in people with Tourette syndrome

But it's still not clear-cut and people can be diagnosed with more then one.

I hope this helps.

"But it's still not clear-cut and people can be diagnosed with more then one."

I totally agree this is not clear cut. I think my whole issue on knowing what it is called is to have peace of mind. When I say my child has ADHD people are like oh I know a lot of kids with that. But, when I add in OCD and tics disorder they think he is totally messed up. I guess it is a perception thing. Plus, yes he is getting ready to start 1st grade and I want the right help for him. If he is truly asbergers it is treated differently in the classroom than ADHD.

I just keep feeling my ped. dr. doesn't have enough expertise in this area to determine. She did the initial and I was glad to know yes, he really is different and it isn't just me thinking so.

With my list of symptoms I forgot about intolerance to pain. Ever since he was little, a spot of blood or a scratch would send him into hysterics. This was often since he also got bloody noses a lot, especially with seasonal allergies. If he falls today it is a big deal and everyone knows he was hurt, even though it might be minor. He doesn’t mind gentle massage but only for a short time. He is also very lovable and likes to give kisses and hugs to me. He doesn't have any close friends. When he was at daycare as a toddler he had friends there. But since starting school he doesn't. He tells me he plays by himself often because the other boys won't play with him. To make things worse, we live in the country and he doesn't have any other boys nearby. He likes my BF son who is autistic. I see some similarities between them, but my son isn't anywhere as bad. I plan on talking to my BF about all of this more as well since she has been down this road. However, she medicates and I really am trying to find alternatives and get mine off of the medicine.

Have you looked into getting a referral to a developmental pediatrician or psychologist? They will be able to test your child for ALL the issues you are seeing and give you a diagnosis. Your school district should have a list of doctors/references available. We homeschool so I'm not familiar with all the stuff regarding schools but I know that if you want a diagnosis you should be able to get a referral from your pediatrician.

You know, I have a friend who's dd was diagnosed ADD with tics and other neuro issues. The neurologist told her that her dd was off the charts neurologically and socially when their dd was 8. Well, she's 17 now and she's a totally normal child; no more tics, she has the ADD under cotrol, lots of friends, etc. My friend always tells me that when her dd hit 13-14 it was like she changed over a gradual period of time and shed those diagnoses' they received. Anyway, my friend reminds me that even if we get a diagnosis, it doesn't mean the child has to be labeled with it forever. Things change, children grow, and sometimes prayers get answered!

Blessings,

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Thx for sharing the story of your friend's daughter. We parents often need to be reminded that kids do change and outgrow their symptoms and our prayers do get answer.

With tics, it is so hard & frustrating to pin point exactly what the triggers are. It is so easy to be hyperparanoid as parents. And the guilt of feeling not doing enough or doing too much when their child's tics are waxing. It could very well be just the tic cycle.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

mom2ck:

I had to reply to your post because i am in a similar situation. I dont know where to turn due to the amount of different issues/Dx's and i am very confused. it never seems like i find someone who can really explain the functions of the brain in relation to food, toxins, etc and what it means if the brain is "damaged", i.e., there is an organic brain problem. As for your concerns with Aspergers, I can share the following -

After my son being Dx with aspergers Dec 2007, i really looked into it. he was diagnosed by two experts in their field at Shands hospital in Gainseville, FL. The way they defined Aspergers was that there had to be a malfunction with the ability to understand other peoples point of view, to be able to "stand in someone elses shoes", something ppl without aspergers do all day all the time naturally. Dr Murphy explained that ppl with aspergers have a marked impairment in seeing outside themselves. other than that they can be very typical. There may be some OCD or not much, there may be lots of ritualized behavior or very little. but there has to be an impairment in social functioning for it to be aspergers. This is from her explanations. She also recommended a book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, by tony atwood, http://www.tonyattwood.com.au.

my son is 9 and diagnosed with Tourette, OCD and Aspergers. he is on no meds. we tried that once with disastrous results. i have not had any particualar luck that i can pinpoint with certainty with the supps, vits and diet, though i continue to do it. his tics dissapeared last feb completely and totally, and only just returned about 2 weeks ago. school started a week ago. one tic is even getting bad quickly. he is on and has been on nordic naturals fish oil, pure magnesium, kids calm, b 50 complex, taurine, probiotic, multi vit. melatonin, low gluten low yeast diet, but we stray here and there. he has a short fuse, also may hit, quickly angered, severe sensory issues with needing to rub his face and chin and head on yours in a hard way, twisting hands, pinching self at times, way overstimulated nervous system, always on alert. OCD has continued to be bad over the years, with obsessions lasting a whole days at times. lots of talking about the same topic, but with genuine interest. very emotional, cries, dislikes any change, high anxiety.

i also cant decide if he has asprgers or not and with all the different symptoms i dont know who to seek out. Your quote below sounded a lot like my son. Does your child have digestive problems? mine does.

it is very hard to distinguish between tics, some OCD compulsions, lack of impulse control, etc. They are such fine lines, it seems they are all versions of the same problem. I would love ot be able to find one or two experts in medicine and natural health and psychology and have a holistic approach to my son to cover all areas and to be able to obtain facts about how long it takes for a "trigger" food to affect the body, how to know if certain foods or chemicals can alter brain function, etc etc etc.

I hope something in here helps!

Everytime I have gotten on the computer lately I keep coming back to this site to learn more. Yes, I hyperfocus on whatever I am interested in at a given time whether it be this, nutrition, birthday parties, scrapbooking, cake decorating, photography,etc. However, I have learned a lot about a lot of different categories over the years. Anyhow, I just want to find out what is going on with my son and help him. I have posted a few topics here in the last few days and am trying to set up appointments with dr.'s But, as I read more and more on this site, I get even more confused. I know he is suffering from tics. But, the adhd and ocd is confusing me.

I read about asbergers and wonder if my son is truly asbergers and not adhd or ocd. From what I understand ocd people have rituals or do things a certain # of times. My son really doesn't do this. He is definately inflexible and hates change, but not ritualistic. Also on the website http://newideas.net/aspergers-syndrome they say some really interesting things about asbergers that makes me think.

Here they are: "Mostly symptoms include deficiencies in social skills, and interest in and need for routine, sameness and habit, which often leads to difficulty with change, along with preoccupations and obsessions." "They are often unaware of proper body distance and are usually "in the face" of the person with whom they are speaking." "They also take things very literally, which can lead to disagreements, misunderstandings and fights with their family and peers. And their facial affect, or expression, often appears flat.""Sensory overload issues are a main characteristic of these children, as they are often sensitive to sound, taste, smell, light and/or touch. Their sensory issues might determine some of their unique behaviors, such as eating only crunchy foods because they like the texture, or becoming anxious and frustrated in a room with certain lighting or acoustics." "Asperger's kids sometimes seem to lack empathy, and their interactions often appear one-sided. This leads to the inability to form proper friendships, and often invites bullying and teasing. Many Asperger's children are isolated and friendless."

Of course there is much more on the site, but these are the things that really relate to my son. Is there anyone who can give me an idea of the difference of these kids? Why would a dr. diagnose one over the other?

My son definately has the sensory issues described above. Loud noises or babies crying really upset him, but loud music is fine. Texture is huge with foods and he does like things crunchy. He throws up easily when things aren't right. Also throws up when he smells things that aren't to his liking. Clothes have to be comfy for him to wear them. Socks & shoes have to be just right. Has a hard time looking people in the eye even when you tell him to. Hyperfocuses on what he is interested in at the time (woops, guess that is from me). Gets angered easily and frustrated when things don't go as he thinks they should. So, much that he gets so mad and clenches his fists, screams and will even hit sometimes.

Anyway, can anyone help me understand this more thoroughly or direct me to a website that shows the differences in these disorders?

Thanks

mom2ck:

I had to reply to your post because i am in a similar situation. I dont know where to turn due to the amount of different issues/Dx's and i am very confused. it never seems like i find someone who can really explain the functions of the brain in relation to food, toxins, etc and what it means if the brain is "damaged", i.e., there is an organic brain problem. As for your concerns with Aspergers, I can share the following -

After my son being Dx with aspergers Dec 2007, i really looked into it. he was diagnosed by two experts in their field at Shands hospital in Gainseville, FL. The way they defined Aspergers was that there had to be a malfunction with the ability to understand other peoples point of view, to be able to "stand in someone elses shoes", something ppl without aspergers do all day all the time naturally. Dr Murphy explained that ppl with aspergers have a marked impairment in seeing outside themselves. other than that they can be very typical. There may be some OCD or not much, there may be lots of ritualized behavior or very little. but there has to be an impairment in social functioning for it to be aspergers. This is from her explanations. She also recommended a book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, by tony atwood, http://www.tonyattwood.com.au.

my son is 9 and diagnosed with Tourette, OCD and Aspergers. he is on no meds. we tried that once with disastrous results. i have not had any particualar luck that i can pinpoint with certainty with the supps, vits and diet, though i continue to do it. his tics dissapeared last feb completely and totally, and only just returned about 2 weeks ago. school started a week ago. one tic is even getting bad quickly. he is on and has been on nordic naturals fish oil, pure magnesium, kids calm, b 50 complex, taurine, probiotic, multi vit. melatonin, low gluten low yeast diet, but we stray here and there. he has a short fuse, also may hit, quickly angered, severe sensory issues with needing to rub his face and chin and head on yours in a hard way, twisting hands, pinching self at times, way overstimulated nervous system, always on alert. OCD has continued to be bad over the years, with obsessions lasting a whole days at times. lots of talking about the same topic, but with genuine interest. very emotional, cries, dislikes any change, high anxiety.

i also cant decide if he has asprgers or not and with all the different symptoms i dont know who to seek out. Your quote below sounded a lot like my son. Does your child have digestive problems? mine does.

it is very hard to distinguish between tics, some OCD compulsions, lack of impulse control, etc. They are such fine lines, it seems they are all versions of the same problem. I would love ot be able to find one or two experts in medicine and natural health and psychology and have a holistic approach to my son to cover all areas and to be able to obtain facts about how long it takes for a "trigger" food to affect the body, how to know if certain foods or chemicals can alter brain function, etc etc etc.

I hope something in here helps!

Thanks

• 4 months later...

After months of being away from the forum, I have came back with updates.

When school started I gave my son's teacher a list of his symptoms or differences so she would know what was going on with him. She was very open to it and shared with his other teachers (music, pe, computers, speech) after asking me if it was ok. I of course said yes as I want everyone on the same page here. We also shared with administration and special education. I also talked to the special ed. distric school psychologist. (I am a teacher in the high school). So we got the ball rolling with testing by the school psychologist, social worker, occupational therapist, and speech therapist. By doing so, he is now getting extra help at school. I shared the info with my pediatrician who wouldn't change her original diagnosis of adhd, ocd, and tics disorder without a child psych. Even though insurance wouldn't cover, we decided to try it. My BF gave me the name of the office she uses for her autistic child. We went a couple of weeks ago and she diagnosed my son with PDD. When I asked about Aspergers, she told me he wasn't autistic, but really never answered my aspergers question. A friend (who has AS grandchildren) said she probably doesn't know for sure so is just lumping it in PDD. The child psych wants us to see a neuro now which again isn't covered by insurance. Again, she doesn't want to make that final Dx without another Dr. involved. She wanted to put him on 2 meds...risperdal and concerta. My husband and I don't want him on any stimulant as it makes his tics worse. He was on focalin xr before. So, we said no to concerta. We are reluctant with risperdal as it has so many side effects. However, we know he needs something. Plus, my BF son is on it and has done very well with it except for the weight gain. So we started it 2 weeks ago. I haven't really noticed many differences. However, there have been a few times, I expected a melt down and there wasn't. The day we forgot the meds, it was a bad meltdown. He is also ticcing a little again...smelling fingers and grunting. But, I expected that as we have had a few weeks with hardly any so I knew they would be coming back as they always do.

The thing is this is all temporary as he is on the waiting list for The Autism Program in IL which covers all PDD. In the program they will do a complete eval or team approach. Again my BF used it with her high functioning autistic son. They give the Dx, support, and training. But, then you see your own Dr. or child psych.

Again, I really don't want the meds, but we have to do something. I tried limiting certain foods, but it is almost impossible with all of his sensory and texture issues. I also tried a supplement, but he wouldnt take it because of the taste. We can't do this long trial and error thing with tests and supplements. He needs something now as he is in the 1st grade where alot of learning takes place. My mother in law is very much against meds as many of you on this forum are and wants us to do a complete elimination diet. But, when I looked at it, they eliminated milk products, sugar, fruit, and so on. So, what is a child to eat that has PB&J on wheat bread, fruit, and milk everyday for lunch? I guess I am just frustrated as I want to do a natural approach, but can't figure out a way to do it. I feel like I am apologizing for putting my child on meds. Are there any of you that have had any luck with meds? Or any specific supplement? (I've read the list of things that worked but again all trial and error). I like this forum because of all the experience you all have had and also because you all share so much information that I haven't gotten on other forums. But, then again I feel you are anti-meds. Please don't take anything offensive as I don't mean that. I'm just trying to get some answers on my continued path of this disorder...whatever it is.

mom2ck,

Hi,

I was wondering what exactly are the meds given supposed to help with. I understand you say your child has some different issues, but if you think he may be asbergers, i wasn't aware there is medication for that? Would you mind telling us what symptoms these help with. Is it for the ocd? anxiety?

Faith

Mom 2ck,

I can totally understand your frustration with trying to find an answer or help for your child. We reluctantly used risperdal for our son also. We tried food elimination, vitamins, etc and nothing seemed to work. The risperdal worked really well for our son, but he did have some weight gain and it just seemed to take his "fun" personality away, made him tired and sluggish. He has been off of it for a few years now, just graduated from high school and seems to have outgrown his tics. We didn't really check in to the side effects, just trusted what our neurologist said about the drug, but as we were taking him off of the drug I started reading more in depth and was so afraid something would happen to him before we got him totally off of it. The worst was tardia discanasia--totally wrong spelling I know. Thankfully he is fine, if we had to do it over again would never have used this drug. Yet I know that is easy to say now that he is totally fine. At the time I was such a nervous wreck and was running in circles trying to make everything right with him. I hope you find the help you are seeking for him. I remember what a hard time that was going through it myself.

Take care,

Anne

Risperdal is suppose to bring down the anxiety and the frustration level that he often has. If things dont go as he expects, he has a total meltdown. We were also told it would help with tics. These are the 2 main issues he has at school. He also doesn't have any close friends mainly because kids see him as different or a troublemaker. This is something I don't want to see and another reason we have to get control of his issues. Concerta was to help with the adhd symptoms of concentrating and attention. However, even though we want to get a handle on it as well for his learning, we feel this is able to be accomplished with the extra help we have in place at the school.

The first couple of days after starting risperdal, he was tired and fell asleep in the afternoon. However, I don't know if it was the meds or spending the night at Gma's and staying up late and playing all day. Also hard to tell difference when there is so much excitement this time of year and way too many sweets anyway.

I do know he has less meltdowns. But, then again, the week before starting the meds, we had noticed less of these...not sure why? Maybe he is learning to deal with things better...who knows?

Almost a year ago he was on clonidine for a few days, but I quickly took him off of it. Again, didn't like the side effects and he was very sluggish and complained of his belly hurting. So, we have tried focalin xr, clonidine, straterra, and now risperdal all in about 1 1/2 years. We also did a hair analysis and a focus formula liquid by vitabase that he wouldn't take because of taste/texture. This is just tiresome! I know many of you have spent years trying to figure things out. Any suggestions?

ilovedogs,

Thank-you so much for sharing your story about your friends child !! I really needed to hear a great story like that today. My son went to get some new glasses today. The guy working there was fitting him for his new glasses, he put the device up to his eyes to check the positioning for the nose piece. Well my sons eyes keep rolling and would not stay still. The guy starting laughing at my son and said stop doing that, you silly guy. The guy thought my son was trying to be funny. My son was looking at him, wondering what he had done that was so funny. Well my heart was breaking once again. I knew my son was not trying to be funny. He can't help rolling his eyes. I just wanted to start crying but I did not want my son or my other children to see me upset. So I waited until I got home and had a cry in my room, I just couldn't help it. So, seeing your story about your friends child has really helped me today. Thank-you again!!! Stories like that, helps me to remember that there is always hope. Eye rolling, does it ever get any better? Is there something I need to try, that really helps with eye rolling? Char....

Mom2ck,

I can totally understand the need for something "now". No need to apologize. You are here on this site for some guidance so just keep looking for answers and somehow you'll find them. In the meantime, if your child responds well the resp, then that should help. I guess you feel the other meds were not helping or he had some side effects? I would be afraid of the stimulants too, because of the chance of increase in tics. My son has tics, some ocd which causes him to be irritable if things are not "right", so I do understand the need to get the behaviors under control. I am recently seeing that his behaviors are more of a problem than the tics, which seem minimal at this point, they don't cause any problems for him, I would say the ocd of having to write perfectly and erasing alot is a big one.

Now, what I wanted to say also is that if you are wondering if you child is asbergers, my opinion is that I would think the school would have tipped you off to some of the asberger behaviors. It sounds more like the ADHD is more of the problem, and he may have possible oppositional defiance? From what I know about asbergers, is that most are well liked by others, especially adults. Peers may shun them not because they are troublemakers, but because the asberger child does not know how to socially mix with others and their peers may find them a little slow, for lack of a better word. When your doctor said "he is not autistic", you can take that to mean not asbergers I would think, because asbergers IS actually a form of autism, a high functioning autistic, or if you want to say "mildly autistic" person. The social aspect of this is the main thing to consider when diagnosing asbergers. It is someone who doesn't relate socially to people in an appropriate way, and that could also mean being "overly friendly" in the sense of not respecting people's space or inappropriate touching when talking to someone, or it could be the opposite, a child who prefers to play alone and does not join in with others easily. These behaviors can be overcome with time, but it may always be somewhat of a struggle and they may seem a little different, perhaps seeming younger than their years. If these things fit your child, then I would look more into it. I would think a psychological testing would uncover that aspect. I do know a couple children who are asbergers, so if you have any questions about the types of behavior they exhibit to compare what your child is like, maybe I could help there.

Meanwhile, do the best you can with avoidance of things you feel set him off. I know it is incredibly hard, but my feeling is that it is hardest for those who seem to react to alot of things. The lucky ones are those who find the couple of things that are the main culprits and things get better from there. Do you at least restrict the food colorings and artificials and at least high fructose corn syrup? I'd say those are the biggest along with sugar, but I know it hard to keep away absolutely, but I would think limiting to the best of your ability is better than nothing. I am feeling that sugar is responsible for some of my son's behaviors, not tics too much, but things like irritability and inattention.

Don't despair, keep searching.

Blessings,

Faith