ACN Latitudes Forums

repetitive eye movement

mom2ck

Ok, I have to ask this about myself. Every since I can remember I have had a quick eye movement from side to side and even rolling my eyes. My dad has always rolled his eyes and my moms eyes go back and forth. Wouldn't you know I do both. Students are constantly telling me to quit moving my eyes. But, I don't even notice it. They especially do this when I am thinking. It is just me. Is this a neurological issue or an eye disorder or something. I once had a student tell me I was tourettes because of it. I quickly blew her off and told her it wasn't. I still don't believe it is, but it makes one think "what is it?"

My DH and I have been racking our brains to think of anyone in the family that has had tics, but don't know of anyone except for our son.

Sorry! If I would have typed in the right search term on the internet I would have found this. On henryfordhealth.org they refer to this as Nystagmus. The website says "Nystagmus refers to rapid involuntary movements of the eyes that may be from side to side (horizontal nystagmus), up and down (vertical nystagmus) or rotary. Depending on the cause, these movements may be in both eyes or in just one eye. The term "dancing eyes" has been used in regional dialect to describe nystagmus."

"The involuntary eye movements of nystagmus are caused by abnormal function in the areas of the brain that control eye movements. The exact nature of these disorders is poorly understood. Nystagmus may be either congenital (present at birth) or may be acquired (caused by disease or injury later in life)."

eye movements and eye rolling are also TS tics

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/Files/CommonTics.PDF

But, the side to side quick movements? Also, this is the only type of strange movement I have ever had. Can a tic be just one thing? With my son, it has been numerous things. I guess I should ask my eye dr. about this.

TS tics vary continuously with characteristic waxing and waning, and yes, the side to side movements can also be tics

not saying that is what yours are, just that yes, these are also recognized as tics

some people with tic disorders may only have a single tic, but that isnt the usual case with TS

Cheri, (or anyone else)

I clicked on the link of tics you posted and read the "internal tics" at the bottom. I am quite sure I had a breathing tic as a child...my question is....my younger son has had a fairly sudden onset of reflux, now, he said it also happened a little bit when he was 3 (frist case of strep and first onset of PANDAS, although the symptoms were mild and went under our radar), I am not sure if this could be a tic? Now, it has returned about 3-4 months ago and he says it is "more than before." We are almost fully recovered from second episode of PANDAS. Could reflux actually be caused by some kind of stomach tic or something? Have you ever heard of or dealt with that? He did have an upper GI done to rule out any other causes...nothing else is wrong. It just seems so weird to me for him to just start refluxing. Has anyone heard of antibiotics causing reflux? Giving of the antibiotics does not seem to correlate to when he has reflux though...also, it occurs sporadically throughout the day...not necessarily after he eats. Any thoughts?

THANKS.