ACN Latitudes Forums

2 year old son wih tics - NAET - does it assist?

sarahp

Hi Everyone

Wow - what a useful site this is.

I have a two year old who has recently (about three months ago) starting ticcing. He has has blinking almost every day and also some shoulder shrugging, neck jerking one day, OCD (shutting doors, switching off lights, shoes on all the time). He also holds his head to one side (like a wry neck) - is that a tick. The first tic we noticed was the blinking which started 2 days after going swiming for the first time. It was a continual blink. I wonder if that was due to exposure to chlorine.

As you can imagine I have been worried sick and can not stop worrying about it. I have seen several doctors, some of who were not even aware of tics and one even suggested eye drops and a steroid to rub in his eyes. I saw a pediatrician and he said looked like eye blinking tic which may or may not go in time.

I have hence done my own research and booked in to see a neurologist which I am seeing in 2 weeks time.

I have started going to Allergy Elimination too whiuch is similar to NAET which I have seen mentioned here. The Allergies all seemed to start after three courses of anti-biotics and some redipred steriod med for croup. I know he had Penicillin which I am allergic too. When he was on the peniccillin he started reacting to food and he eyes swelled up and the tics started. I am finding the allergy elimination clinic (AAE) a great help as having been treated for corn and many other things he now seemed to be able to eat say corn without the eye blinking flaring up.

He was doing quite well (which I thank the AAE and diet for - only blinking tic which was hardly noticable) until recently he has caught a viral infection. His temp sored to 103.5 F and he started the new tics such as shoulder shrugging, teeth grinding etc. Also the eye blinking has intestified. So it seems that the viral infection is a trigger.

I guess I have a number of queries:

(a) What are people's experiences with NAET - looking at the tic triggers it should be possible to eliminate most of them by being treated and 'cured' of the allergies

(^_^ Does anyone know of the statistics of tics lasting < 1 year vs > 1 year - I am hoping and hoping this will be a transient tic phase

© Has anyone cured themselves of tics via NAET/Candida rid/other method (my naturopath is treating him as having Caandida)

thanks for all you help

Sarah

Hi again

I wanted to add I took my son, Matthew, to a Naturopath and Ped and he was tested and found the following:

(a) Coeliac gene - so now oof gluten (and dairy and cane sugar)

(^_^ Low Zinc and Iron levels (does low Zinc cause tics????)

© High toxicity so various (will be treated with some kind of foot pad to reduce toxins in the body) - can this have an affect on tics?

thanks again

Sarah

Hi

I have to rush to work but wanted to mention that low zinc can sometimes indicate pyroluria which in turn can cause tics.

going GFCF will be a big help if those are allergies for him

Epsom salts baths (2 cups in warm tub and soak 20 min or 1 cup in warm footbath and soak feet 20 min) is IMHO one of the best detox methods around, plus the magnesium in the epsom helps calm tics too

HTH and welcome ^_^ I know others will add their insights for you soon

As you can see from the message boards, you are not alone! There are new people posting daily about their children and tics. And, from what you've probably already found out, there can be many causes and things that contribute to tics and co-morbid conditions/behaviors.

To answer your question on the NAET: we are in the process of doing the NEAT with my ds(9) right now. He had to go back and do his foods all over b/c the treatment didn't hold so we go back next week for our cleanup. I really can't say that it's helped us yet, honestly. My ds still tics the same as before and he's still waking up congested like he was 2 months ago. Maybe there are things going on that I can't see, though? I've heard good things about the treatment so that's why I figured it was worth a shot!

As for the zinc: I do believe I read on here that zinc can be an issue. I give my son a magnesium supplement that is balanced with calcium, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin D.

Something interesting to note: When testing for chemicals with the NEAT, our naturopath found that ds was sensitive to all of his vaccinations and there were no other chemical sensitivities. She said she'd never seen anything like that before as it was every single vaccine, not just a few individual ones. So, I know now that this may be part of our problem!!!

Blessings,

Bonnie

ilovedogs,

My son has been getting NAET for the last 2 years and i feel that over time it has helped with his tics. It was never an immediate reduction, except when we treated tree pollens last year, and the vocal tic went away after 3 days.

What have you treated so far? Did you get the basics treated before treating food? We did not treat the basics because our NAET practitioner said he tested not sensitive via muscle test. Just want to compare note. Thx!

Pat

Sarah,

I have not done NAET with my son (now 5 1/2), but he has been stable with no wax ons for over a year now, despite occasional illnesses. Like your son he has the celiac gene and has since been diagnosed with celiac disease by our general practitioner as he had all the classic symptoms for years (infancy) but never a biopsy. So the doc figured if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, then by golly--- it is a duck. The cure for our son is a strict gluten and corn free diet. We used to have to eliminate dairy too but he now has it in small doses in rotation without incident.

If you want to read our story it is at:

http://healthy-family.org/caryn/289

I have since come to believe that the untreated Celiac precedes the T.S. and actually causes the onset of T.S-- but that they are two separate conditions. (Our son has the celiac gene associated with other autoimmune disorders). There is no official proof as such that this is true. Neurological implications of gluten toxicity are an emerging science.

Our son will mildly tic after gluten or corn ingestion (like a mild eye blink), that may last a day or two. If he has any type of artificial ingredient he will tic for 3 days.

Due to the nature of T.S. we have a strict Feingold diet as well and eat as organic as possible. I do not feed my kids refined sugar either. We too had multiple bouts of croup and our son also had many courses of antibiotics before the GF diet. Our son was majorly zinc deficient and anemic despite being high in copper when we originally tested him. He had the classic dark circles under his eyes and was small for his age despite the fact that mom is 5'9 and dad is 6'0. He weighed the same has his brother two years younger. He now is growing great, looks much healthier, and no longer has dark circles. He sleeps 12 hrs at night and will sleep in in the morning-- no longer a light sleeper. I could go on and on. I really am amazed at his progress and so is he!

Candida is most probably a problem too, so check into that and possibly rule it out.

Caryn

ilovedogs,

My son has been getting NAET for the last 2 years and i feel that over time it has helped with his tics. It was never an immediate reduction, except when we treated tree pollens last year, and the vocal tic went away after 3 days.

What have you treated so far? Did you get the basics treated before treating food? We did not treat the basics because our NAET practitioner said he tested not sensitive via muscle test. Just want to compare note. Thx!

Pat

Hey Pat,

The first day they worked on environmental allergies and he had a few mild local allergies. The next week was chemicals and the only things that came up were vaccinations(all of them). And, then we did foods. He was primarily allergic to milk products and artificial stuff. We had to redo the foods last week b/c the treatment didn't take so we're going back next week for the final cleanup. Carolyn N from these boards goes to the same doc for this and she said she takes her kids in for a tune up about every 3 months or so just to keep up on it. I think they then treat for the individual allergens.

We'll see how it goes on Monday!

Bonnie

• 1 year later...

I was doing a search and came across this topic. What you said about swim pool struck me, because when I was on the swim team, that's about when my tics started shortly after. I've read chlorine can wipe out the ions in your gut, causing all sorts of domino effect of isses, some of them being hindering body's ability detox and sulfate.

How are things going now?

Hi Everyone

Wow - what a useful site this is.

I have a two year old who has recently (about three months ago) starting ticcing. He has has blinking almost every day and also some shoulder shrugging, neck jerking one day, OCD (shutting doors, switching off lights, shoes on all the time). He also holds his head to one side (like a wry neck) - is that a tick. The first tic we noticed was the blinking which started 2 days after going swiming for the first time. It was a continual blink. I wonder if that was due to exposure to chlorine.

As you can imagine I have been worried sick and can not stop worrying about it. I have seen several doctors, some of who were not even aware of tics and one even suggested eye drops and a steroid to rub in his eyes. I saw a pediatrician and he said looked like eye blinking tic which may or may not go in time.

I have hence done my own research and booked in to see a neurologist which I am seeing in 2 weeks time.

I have started going to Allergy Elimination too whiuch is similar to NAET which I have seen mentioned here. The Allergies all seemed to start after three courses of anti-biotics and some redipred steriod med for croup. I know he had Penicillin which I am allergic too. When he was on the peniccillin he started reacting to food and he eyes swelled up and the tics started. I am finding the allergy elimination clinic (AAE) a great help as having been treated for corn and many other things he now seemed to be able to eat say corn without the eye blinking flaring up.

He was doing quite well (which I thank the AAE and diet for - only blinking tic which was hardly noticable) until recently he has caught a viral infection. His temp sored to 103.5 F and he started the new tics such as shoulder shrugging, teeth grinding etc. Also the eye blinking has intestified. So it seems that the viral infection is a trigger.

I guess I have a number of queries:

(a) What are people's experiences with NAET - looking at the tic triggers it should be possible to eliminate most of them by being treated and 'cured' of the allergies

(:angry: Does anyone know of the statistics of tics lasting < 1 year vs > 1 year - I am hoping and hoping this will be a transient tic phase

© Has anyone cured themselves of tics via NAET/Candida rid/other method (my naturopath is treating him as having Caandida)

thanks for all you help

Sarah

• 4 years later...

My daughter started Tics with the eye blinking symptom at her age of 3. She was not getting the Tics often but she was doing 2 months in a year. At the age of 5 she started got more Tics like head jerking and shoulder moving. I gave her pediasure chocolate flavor for one month. Her Tics was almost gone. And again after when she developed Tics I was again giving pediasure. But after couple of years pediasure also didn't worked. I gave for 2 months and I didn't notice any change. Tic are getting more and more. Head jerking and shoulder moving and also mouth rounding. She had allergy test and she didn't have any allergy but at home we noticed, she has dust allergy. And we went for Vitamin test. All are normal but few are at low end like iron. As Tics became more and more I took her to the Neurologist and at this point he wants to wait and see for some more time if these not cured. She was getting Tics 2 to 3 times in a minute. I tried multi vitamin gummys, Omega gummies, calcium gummies. And also I tried Tic Tamor for 1 month. First 2 weeks Tics were less but after 2 weeks these became again more. I stopped Tic Tamor. And finally I read about Zinc. I gave Immune C plus Zinc and Echinacea made by L'il Critters. Tics completely gone in 2 days. Wow. I am not sure either Zinc or Echinacea worked. I am giving daily one with one multi vitamin one Omega. I am not sure how long this work.