ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep Throat, Can you take shots?

Oooh, I know this one! Why yes, you can get pennicillan shots (they're supposed to be the equivalent of a 10 day course of antibiotics. Way back before we knew my daughter was PANDAS, but having a lot of strep issues, our doctor did try the shot for us (to avoid the gut problems=exactly). The problem is...the needle is gynormous and its a good size bolus of serum- given in the hiney, and after the 10 days, my daughter's strep was back anyway. When we first broached the idea of profilactic antibiotics, her ped suggested that she'd have to do that every14 days (I think to put me off the idea). Anyway, It was so, so, hard giving her that shot (and trying to keep her still long enough for the serum to be injected) that i opted not to do it again. I wish there was any easier way, I hate constantly fighting the yeasties. If it was a once or twice/year ordeal I might reconsider, but Allie's strep is chronic- back w/in days of the end of a course of antibiotics.

We did the pen shot once too and it nipped the strep in the butt so fast however he cried so hard from the needle and his bottom was sore for days. I was wondering a similar question does anyone give pills versus the liquid? We do the liquid omnicef and it is such a pain to refill. The liquid can only be mixed part at a time. That means I am at the pharmacy once a week because it goes bad if they mix it ahead of time. They will only mix 60 ml at a time and the prescription is for 120 mg. I pay for it upfront and then pick up the 2nd bottle in a week. Half the time they try to charge me again for the second bottle. It is always a mix up! I have never seen a pharmacy get so confused. I am going to transfer the prescription tomorrow. If it was pills it would be so much easier to refill. Anyone else have similar issues with liquid meds?

Michele

Oooh, I know this one! Why yes, you can get pennicillan shots (they're supposed to be the equivalent of a 10 day course of antibiotics. Way back before we knew my daughter was PANDAS, but having a lot of strep issues, our doctor did try the shot for us (to avoid the gut problems=exactly). The problem is...the needle is gynormous and its a good size bolus of serum- given in the hiney, and after the 10 days, my daughter's strep was back anyway. When we first broached the idea of profilactic antibiotics, her ped suggested that she'd have to do that every14 days (I think to put me off the idea). Anyway, It was so, so, hard giving her that shot (and trying to keep her still long enough for the serum to be injected) that i opted not to do it again. I wish there was any easier way, I hate constantly fighting the yeasties. If it was a once or twice/year ordeal I might reconsider, but Allie's strep is chronic- back w/in days of the end of a course of antibiotics.

Michele,

Have you tried having your son swallow pills? Just curious....the 250 mg pills are small, no problem for my boys to swallow (I know...all kids are different). My younger son had no problem starting at 4 yrs. old. I didn't even consider he could do it, but then with the prophylactic antibiotics and us having to take them twice a day...and thinking about being out somewhere when they were due for a pill, and then with the liquid and traveling...you know? (Sorry if this is confusing) Anyway, I thought, gee, pills would be soooo much easier,....I gave it a shot and he took it first time no problem...I was totally amaxed. It is worth a shot if you haven't already.

By the way...yes, I know Dr. Berger is leaving....we are going to see Dr.K Aug. 18th....I will have my boys under his direct care from now on.

I wonder if there is a pill for the omnicef 250 mg? He can easily do pills. I guess it was just written in liquid form. I called concerned about Berger leaving and they said he will be consulting on his cases for awhile. I don't need Andrew to see him as much as to have him call in refills. I will be very interested in how it goes with Dr. K. How far is it for you to travel to him? I would be willing to go too if necessary to get a PANDAS expert. Florida is too far for us and Dr. Murphy won't write scripts cross state borders. Will Dr. K write scripts? Who will write your scripts if he can't? Please keep me posted on your results with him. Also please ask him about good supplements to help repair basal ganglia inflammation.

Michele

Michele,

Have you tried having your son swallow pills? Just curious....the 250 mg pills are small, no problem for my boys to swallow (I know...all kids are different). My younger son had no problem starting at 4 yrs. old. I didn't even consider he could do it, but then with the prophylactic antibiotics and us having to take them twice a day...and thinking about being out somewhere when they were due for a pill, and then with the liquid and traveling...you know? (Sorry if this is confusing) Anyway, I thought, gee, pills would be soooo much easier,....I gave it a shot and he took it first time no problem...I was totally amaxed. It is worth a shot if you haven't already.

By the way...yes, I know Dr. Berger is leaving....we are going to see Dr.K Aug. 18th....I will have my boys under his direct care from now on.

I will be sure to keep you posted. Yes, he will write scripts...he is an 8 hr. drive for us. I am pretty sure the best thing for basal ganglia repair (as far as supplements) is Fish Oil...I couldn't get my kids to take it either until I found Carlson's for Kids Very Finest

Fish Oil...this stuff is great and they are clueless...it is so good that taking the liquid straight is no problem!

By the way, I wasn't overly concerned about Berger leaving.......he had no experience with PANDAS, so I never felt "settled" with him, but, I was very appreciative that he was willing to atleast write the script for Pen VK.....I feel better already knowing my kids will soon be under the care of a very knowledgeable PANDAS doc.

Kelly

• 3 months later...

Kelly,

Could you describe the process you have had with Dr. K so far? Could you summarize what he has done so far for your boys?

Did Dr. K write a prescription for long term antibiotic prophylaxis? What antibiotic is it for? How often will you visit him? Will he do refills over the phone or do you have to go back for another visit? How did the visit go? How are your boys now? Sorry for all the questions.

I did finally hear back from Berger's nurse and the new Dr's have no PANDAS experience. They will call in script for a couple months but want me to find another Dr.in the mean time. So back to the drawing board. We see a rheumatologist next week for the joint cracking and toe and finger pain. I may be making the trip to Chicago soon too. Dr. K seems to be the only one stepping forward to treat PANDAS.

Thanks for your info.

Michele

I will be sure to keep you posted. Yes, he will write scripts...he is an 8 hr. drive for us. I am pretty sure the best thing for basal ganglia repair (as far as supplements) is Fish Oil...I couldn't get my kids to take it either until I found Carlson's for Kids Very Finest

Fish Oil...this stuff is great and they are clueless...it is so good that taking the liquid straight is no problem!

By the way, I wasn't overly concerned about Berger leaving.......he had no experience with PANDAS, so I never felt "settled" with him, but, I was very appreciative that he was willing to atleast write the script for Pen VK.....I feel better already knowing my kids will soon be under the care of a very knowledgeable PANDAS doc.

Kelly

Does anyone know if you can take shots vs pills for the antibiotic for Strep Throat?

My thinking is that I would like to bypass the gut, it's probably had enough pressure from antibiotics.

Any comments welcome.

Hi,

We were offered either monthly penicillin injection or twice daily oral Amoxicillin. My son chose oral meds. We had planned to change to the monthly injection at some point. Not sure at the moment because things are going really well.

I believe the rheumatologist likened it to a rheumatic fever protocol

How many mg of amoxcillin daily? So you went to a rheum? We see one next Fri. How was he in regards to knowing about PANDAS? Rheum is one type of Dr. we have not gone yet. I would like to get a trial of azith. My son is now having compulsive motor tics finger and toe cracking, following a strep exposure/virus. Also with steroid bursts, how much is usually given daily? Did the rheum suggest a trial of steroids? Thanks.

Michele

Does anyone know if you can take shots vs pills for the antibiotic for Strep Throat?

My thinking is that I would like to bypass the gut, it's probably had enough pressure from antibiotics.

Any comments welcome.

Hi,

We were offered either monthly penicillin injection or twice daily oral Amoxicillin. My son chose oral meds. We had planned to change to the monthly injection at some point. Not sure at the moment because things are going really well.

I believe the rheumatologist likened it to a rheumatic fever protocol