ACN Latitudes Forums

my daughter

Some of you may remember my son and the tic issues he has. Well last March my daughter started having this fake little cough it lasted a few weeks and went away. It is back again. It has been about a week ago and it is constant. I kid you not when I tell you it took me two years of research to get a hold of my sons tics. I feel like here we go again. Her tic is vocal and it is driving me insane. How do I deal with the constant coughing? I am honestly so sad. She had a kidney operation at one and now at four has a tic problem. I feel like she is being punished. I think I just need to vent.

Hello Pamela :wacko:

Sorry to hear you're feeling like you are. Just remember that your daughter may not have the same as your son, hey, but even if she does you'll get there!!! I know the "here we go again" feeling. Although my son is my first with TS, we have had various medical issues/ problems and personal issues over the years with the other kids... when this happened with my son I just felt like yelling to the sky "How much more do you think I can take!" as if we were being punished for something.

We have to remember that we can be strong enough for whatever is cast our way, and we always find the strength when it comes to our kids.

You're doing a great job, and your kids are lucky to have you for their Mum. :D

Feel free to vent whenever you want, I think we all need to do that. {I know I sure do, ha!}

Take care, Lyn.

Just an idea, but are you sure it is a tic? My daughter, 15, has had a cough going on almost 3 weeks and really has no other symptoms. Took her to the dr. and she said she's fine and its just postnasal drip- so she's on claritin right now which doesn't seem to help much, but it seems like it is sloowly getting better. Maybe your daughter might be having drainage as well. I had no idea mine was because other than the cough she seems fine. Have you had the dr look at her? My daughter seems to get this cough a few times a year out of the blue, but the dr. for some reason does not think its allergies. :wacko: But I know what you mean- just listening to that cough all day can get pretty irritating(even when you know its not a tic) So hang in there and good luck!

Pamela,

Can you describe the cough? Did you say it is constant, like every minute? Does it get worse or better at certain time of the day? Does it sound like it has mucus or a dry cough?

I am asking because my son used to have a constant cough 3/4 mos at a time. And the cough is worse when he ate a certain food and being outside in a woodsey area. And i believe his tic cough is due to his allergies. Unfortunately, i thought it was asthma related and put him on unnecessary medications.

Pat

Yes it can be numerous times in a minute. Then at other times she can go a bit without coughing. It honestly sounds like a fake cough. It usually does not sound productive at all. Just a soft little cough cough. Usually she will cover it with her hand. I think it is usually worse towards the evening. I have thought of it being due to allergies but I just don't think it sounds productive enough.

Pamela,

I'm so sorry to hear this, I knoe this is the last thing you want to be going through again. Keep your hopes up maybe this is just a passing thing.

Just a side note... I wish all my son had was a little caugh, he has very loud yelps to sometime a screem. I know that may not make you feel any better, but just thought I would let you know just in case it does.

God Bless,

CP

Thanks, it does make me feel somewhat better. I keep trying to tell myself things could be worse. For the first year of her life she was on antibiotics for her kidney condition. Then at almost two I found out she had a lazy eye and needed glasses just like I did when I was her age. I was heart broken but we got over both of these issues. Now this. Right now I just feel like I did something wrong. Like maybe this is the price I have to pay for wanting a girl so much. I know it is all crazy thinking and I will learn something from this but I guess I just have to grieve a bit.